PNW December 2022 - Part II

Guest hawkstwelve

11 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

No way that is correct. It will not be as cold in bremerton as in bellingham. 

Well there is a bunch of heavy rain on Saturday morning... better pray its above 32 at that time.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-precip_6hr_inch-1915600 (1).png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just drove over hwy 26 to Astoria from Portland (over the river and thru the woods to mom n dad's house we go) Car thermo is reading 27.  No precip reaching the ground yet.  Looks like our educated gamble to beat the weather weirdness worked (phew).  Roads were bone dry with a couple very isolated icy patches.  Hardly anyone on the road.

it really does take such a perfect setup to bottom out west of the rockies

no wind, no clouds, majority of arctic high pressure Polar lobe centered in BC not Alberta

no doubt it can happen but hasn't to record territory in Spokane in the 5 winters I've been here, 3 as a Nina.  I'm pretty sure a Neutral ENSO winter now may be our best chances in E WA for record cold.  Thought this blast would do it, nope.  it is however the coldest in 11 years though here

4 minutes ago, lowlandsnow said:

Bozeman MSU's all-time record was also set in February the -45 today is 9 degrees colder than the previous all-time December record

That's a good point. They shattered their December record. They will also shatter their all-time record coldest day by nearly 10 degrees as well. I can't imagine their high being much above -25 today which would give them an average temp of -35 on the day.

Simply incredible.

• Shivering 5

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

34 minutes ago, Winterdog said:

I had light bulbs on my two feeders last year but this year covid and RSV put a damper on my energy level so I didn't to it.  I figure I have only one day to keep alternating the feeders before it warms up.  I read where the hummingbirds have a tough time surviving in real cold temps when they are used to feeders, so I've been thoroughly guilted into this.

Hot Hands (hand warmer) inside a fabric pouch sealed with velcro stuck to the bottom of the feeder with double sided tape works great. Got mine from a place in Olympia years ago.

9 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

it really does take such a perfect setup to bottom out west of the rockies

no wind, no clouds, majority of arctic high pressure Polar lobe centered in BC not Alberta

no doubt it can happen but hasn't to record territory in Spokane in the 5 winters I've been here, 3 as a Nina.  I'm pretty sure a Neutral ENSO winter now may be our best chances in E WA for record cold.  Thought this blast would do it, nope.  it is however the coldest in 11 years though here

Pullman hit their coldest temp in 32 years. Although their records seem a little wonky with different stations.

• Like 2

A forum for the end of the world.

34 minutes ago, dhoffine said:

Anyone wanna take a stab at when the ice will start in the central sound?  Travel concerns for kids tomorrow...

Models have it starting overnight but I am thinking they are a little too aggressive. Huge guess from a novice would be early morning. I think we will see a mix and then some sleet and then some freezing rain. I don't think it will warm up as fast as models are saying. This is especially true for Eastern parts of King and Snohomish County. Seattle proper may be a quicker warm up ad they won't have access to quite ad much cold air from over the passes.

I'm not planning on any travel tomorrow. I would do it tonight or possibly tomorrow night or even Saturday morning. And make sure vehicles are gassed full today for sure. 

I am concerned about the fact that the models always rush the scouring out of cold air and the crap ton of precip being shown on Saturday.   ECMWF says its all rain... but playing with fire with that much precip and knowing the models might be warming us too fast.  

• Like 8

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

I am concerned about the fact that the models always rush the scouring out of cold air and the crap ton of precip being shown on Saturday.   ECMWF says its all rain... but playing with fire with that much precip and knowing the models might be warming us too fast.  

I expect it to be really really bad here. Probably not as much ice as 2012 but will do the same type of damage. 

4 minutes ago, CliffMassYelledAtMe said:

Models have it starting overnight but I am thinking they are a little too aggressive. Huge guess from a novice would be early morning. I think we will see a mix and then some sleet and then some freezing rain. I don't think it will warm up as fast as models are saying. This is especially true for Eastern parts of King and Snohomish County. Seattle proper may be a quicker warm up ad they won't have access to quite ad much cold air from over the passes.

I'm not planning on any travel tomorrow. I would do it tonight or possibly tomorrow night or even Saturday morning. And make sure vehicles are gassed full today for sure. 

Doesn't the eastside sometimes warm up faster than areas closer to the water in these warm air aloft situations?

12 minutes ago, Perturbed Member said:

This stuff to the west might make it to the ground as some light snow or sleet in the next 1-2 hours. Probably would be too light to really accumulate.

image.png.239a331c8937b1b3899336f5582ca55a.png

Should have something reaching the ground at the coast shortly.

• Like 4

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

2 minutes ago, Cloud said:

850s +6 hours.  
B896904F-D771-4845-BC3A-9565616CDF65.thumb.jpeg.3e54b8e69c4f355dd4b30c4ec8547c3c.jpeg

This to me look like the models are slightly too aggressive.

I don’t think we’ll escape the ZR stuff. But the upper air being colder than progged means a delayed to the ZR with more snow and sleet. We’ll see

The NWS pinpoint forecast for my area now says snow until 4am. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

God we might get lucky and a bunch of this will be snow and sleet.

The offshore flow with this is brutal.  

I just don't know the point at which snow is impossible when 850mb and 925mb temps cannot support it... even if the cold outflow continues.  

• Like 4