PNW December 2022 - Part II

Guest hawkstwelve

Just now, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Me and MossMan started all this Marriott bullshit a few years back. It has begun to take off lol. It's because we have nightmares of his warm forecast growing up around here. I would never watch channel 5 because it depressed me.

Mark Nelsen is turning that way.  He used to have youthful enthusiasm for cold and snow.  He lost that somewhere.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MossMan said:

The way the sky looks right now if there was no such thing as weather models or forecasting I would be super excited thinking I would be getting a bunch more snow with how cold it is. I want to move to a colder/snowier climate so badly. Perhaps once the kids are grown and out of the house. I will still be young and in my 60’s by then lol. 

I was looking at a better climate locations for couple years but really nothing to our liking, a lot of excuses, pros/cons that came up. Then having getting married this year and we plan on having kids, that idea now just got back to the backburner. I think if I needed to make that leap, it needed to be done sooner but my guess now is gonna have to wait until retirement. Perhaps, the next best approach is to look a place to live in W. WA that's more favorable without being too far away from the family.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Me and MossMan started all this Marriott bullshit a few years back. It has begun to take off lol. It's because we have nightmares of his warm forecast growing up around here. I would never watch channel 5 because it depressed me.

Another thing to go along with the Streetlight Snow thing that I used to think I was weird and alone in. 

Guest hawkstwelve
Just now, TT-SEA said:

So all of my analysis is always wrong except for this one thing?    Damnit.   

You also agreed with me about the beauty of those humid summer nights back east with distant lightning and fireflies and a cold beer on the deck. 

Also on the infrastructure at Twitter (shout out to my startup, Singlepane - if anyone with an extensive background in Python, SRD in dist. systems, Elasticsearch, and a passion for modeling Internet, send me a DM).

Just now, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I will never forget November 1996 when he kept insisting the change over to rain would happen rapidly that morning and that nobody would see over an inch before turning to slush…I ended up with 8” and it never turned over since the low came in at the Wa/Or border…Ahhh vindication!

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

1 minute ago, Cloud said:

I was looking at a better climate locations for couple years but really nothing to our liking, a lot of excuses, pros/cons that came up. Then having getting married this year and we plan on having kids, that idea now just got back to the backburner. I think if I needed to make that leap, it needed to be done sooner but my guess now is gonna have to wait until retirement. Perhaps, the next best approach is to look a place to live in W. WA that's more favorable without being too far away from the family.

Yep we can’t leave w wa because of family all here and kids and cousins etc. help us too valuable. And we can get away when we need to. But man I need some E L E V A T I O N in my life. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Seattle said:

The past few days have been chillllly.

Sun: 33/28, Mon: 37/29, Tues: 29/19, Wed: 26/17 thus far. Sitting at 25.5 currently.

Goddamnit. SEA is reporting 25 on inter-hourlies. That means 24 at least. Ugh.

Not a ton of back to back Decembers with highs in the 20s in Seattle.

• Like 3

A forum for the end of the world.

4 minutes ago, Terreboner said:

Mark Nelsen is turning that way.  He used to have youthful enthusiasm for cold and snow.  He lost that somewhere.

As much as I'd like to say Mark's pessimistic outlooks are a result of his continued loss of youthful enthusiasm I don't think he's missed a single storm save for 1/10/17 in the last 10 years. He's truly the best of the best imo

• Like 5

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

7 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

For some reason I associate Jeff Renner more with King 5 growing up. He didn't seem to love the snow either, but you could tell by the tone of his voice when things were getting serious.

• Like 4

A forum for the end of the world.

5 degrees outside and it's cold! Snow expected tomorrow 1-3 inches.

• Like 2

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

3 minutes ago, Requiem said:

As much as I'd like to say Mark's pessimistic outlooks are a result of his continued loss of youthful enthusiasm I don't think he's missed a single storm save for 1/10/17 in the last 10 years. He's truly the best of the best imo

You're young.  I've been watching him since he came on the scene.  You didn't see it.

5 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Radar starting to fill in 👀👀👀

i think Tacoma to Seattle will get 1-2in of snow. Going to over perform I bet!

FC0D63DE-0AAF-4A24-8897-F60D20E226B1.png

Could happen... we are still well within the snow zone at the upper levels.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, Front Ranger said:

For some reason I associate Jeff Renner more with King 5 growing up. He didn't seem to love the snow either, but you could tell by the tone of his voice when things were getting serious.

Renner was great, I hung out with him for a whole day at King 5 for my high school senior project, I still remember all the old tools they had for forecasting and still have some of the big printouts of the maps they would look at on paper to try and figure out what will or could happen, really cool!!

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Requiem said:

Sadly I don’t watch any of them anymore….just not into it since I found this place.  I used to love them back in the 70and 80s.  Jim Bosley “The Boz” I always enjoyed 

3 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

I love both Renner and Harry Wappler... 

2 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Renner was great, I hung out with him for a whole day at King 5 for my high school senior project, I still remember all the old tools they had for forecasting and still have some of the big printouts of the maps they would look at on paper to try and figure out what will or could happen, really cool!!

Guess I'm gonna have to check in! :D

3 minutes ago, Blizzard777 said:

Sadly I don’t watch any of them anymore….just not into it since I found this place.  I used to love them back in the 70and 80s.  Jim Bosley “The Boz” I always enjoyed 

I tried watching the news the last few days (mostly for the cars slipping on ice) and it’s nearly unwatchable these days. The reporters remind me of SNL characters and the “meteorologists” do not have that same vibe like the ones I grew up with. Unwatchable. 

Edited by MossMan
  • Like 5

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

5 minutes ago, Doinko said:

He actually went pretty aggressive with this event

Eh more I look into it his forecast isn't unreasonable. .2-.5 QPF with the first wave of ice, and a wetter system later on when models are way too trigger happy with ending cold outflow. It logically makes sense

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

3 minutes ago, MossMan said:

I tried watching the news the last few days (mostly for the cars slipping on ice) and it’s nearly unwatchable these days. The reporters remind me of SNL characters and the “meteorologists” do not have that same vibe like the ones I grew up with. Unwatchable. 

I notice the same thing but wonder if it's my age. Like to me, it feels like I'd never remember these TV meteorologists. They just aren't memorable, even if they were somehow associated with a major weather event in my head, the way the 80s and 90s ones were. I wonder if younger folks feel differently though, but I suspect they don't. Maybe they don't hire "personalities" anymore and just want people who fit the mold. 

Mark Nelson used to be very enthusiastic about snow and cold. I think he changed in 2008. It was very hard going for people in east county areas that year especially in Corbett. That was the year the Corbett woman killed her husband and put his body in the burn barrel. I think the weather that year just pushed her over the edge.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, KingstonWX said:

Harry Wappler was the GOAT. I never liked Andy though. Now he's joined the darkside by working for PSE, so I guess my judgement was correct. 

Not sure if Andy ever wanted to become a meteorologist or merely just following in his Dad's footsteps. He took over as Chief Met. for KIRO after his dad retired but didn't really stay long. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

I shadowed Jeff Renner for the day too!  But I think it may have been for Jr. High.   Back when I wanted to be a meteorologist and tornado chaser.  No idea why I never pursued it, but I wish I had!

I don't remember a ton of stuff from the visit, except that we got to watch the broadcast from the studio and I remember how Gaard Swanson had so many people around him during breaks doing his hair and makeup.  More than any other anchor.  No shade - it's just funny to me that that is what I remember!  haha  :)

19 minutes ago, KingstonWX said:

Another thing to go along with the Streetlight Snow thing that I used to think I was weird and alone in. 

We've all done it. I used to pour water on the windshield of the car for a smooth surface to check for a snow splat. We're all fuked up on here.

• Excited 3
  • lol 2

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

I liked Morgan Palmer when I lived on the west side. His WFH set-up made me want to get coffee with him.

• Like 1

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

8 minutes ago, MossMan said:

I really miss Walter Kelly.  I always felt like you could tell how much he loved and geeked out over weather here.  

• Like 4

I used to listen to the weather radio at work growing up. Me and my brother were laughing about it. I had a small radio I would keep in my pocket and I left it on all day.  During a snow event I would pace back and forth waiting for that 2:40 update. The marine forecast would come out first and that was always the first clue of the new forecast.  I miss those days, the doppler radar removed a bunch of exciting times in a way.

• Like 4

We come from the land of the ice and snow.