PNW December 2022 - Part II

Guest hawkstwelve

Still evidently sleet with some ZR but wow is the wind roaring. Worried for when the ZR really kicks in. Whoever made the Feb 1996 comparison-- it may be apt, as Corbett Elementary recorded a couple gusts in the 90s.

• Like 4
  • Windy 1
  • Shivering 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

36 minutes ago, KingstonWX said:

I can't possibly be the only person here who has considered moving there for the snow. If only they would actually create some nice areas to live in. 

Some of the more rural areas in the woods would be cool. Preferably with a little terrain for some good sled hills!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KingstonWX said:

Yep, it's over. Prep your generators, charge your cell phones, and pray that a tree doesn't impact your home. Tis the season. 

Changed the oil a few weeks ago and have 25 gallons of gas on the ready! 

• Like 3
  • Excited 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

15 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

You can just use Google maps with the traffic layer to track the northward progress of the ice... its basically following the 850mb 0C line on its trek to the north.

trf1.png

Except we have freezing rain already being reported in Port Angeles. I think it's just more tracking the precip.

A forum for the end of the world.

2 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Changed the oil a few weeks ago and have 25 gallons of gas on the ready! 

Good to know you had 25 gallons. Since I've inspected it, i will leave your 20 gallons on the porch. Now that I've checked the regulations, your 15 gallons seem to be right within the permitted exception. Once I can verify the true total, you should be pleased to move forward with your 5 gallons. Have a good evening. 

• Excited 1
  • lol 6

1 minute ago, bishbish777 said:

To be fair, RGEM does show the snow line just south of Seattle to start. If there is gonna be snow, it's gonna be a narrow line between ice-storm and a few inches of snow(then ice-storm..)

Unfortunately for us the battle line is usually around Shoreline/Lynnwood.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Except we have freezing rain already being reported in Port Angeles. I think it's just more tracking the precip.

It might be isolated or not impacting traffic in Port Angeles yet.   But when you see slow traffic on I-5 from Chehalis to Eugene you know the roads are not good.    The northward movement of the orange and red on I-5 will be a good gauge of arrival time of ice impacts for the Seattle area and northward.

• Like 5

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

It might be isolated or not impacting traffic in Port Angeles yet.   But when you see slow traffic on I-5 from Chehalis to Eugene you know the roads are not good.    The northward movement of the orange and red on I-5 will be a good gauge of arrival time of ice impacts for the Seattle area and northward.

My dad just got home about 45 min ago from twisp. He said there was a terrible spot on 90 near NB with black ice where everyone was going 15-20mph....hey the map corroborates!!! cool

• Like 2
  • Shivering 2

Just now, 12345WeatherNerd said:

That is quite the windstorm signal on the GEFS.gfs-ens_mslpaNorm_us_21.pnggfs-ens_mslpaNorm_us_22.png

This is the winter that keeps on giving! What are we all going to do with ourselves next winter when we are in raging split flow mega Nino hell all winter? And if they keep upgrading the GFS we might not even have fantasy land 300+hr cold bones thrown our way to even dream! Savor every second of this winter!! 

• Like 5
  • Excited 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Right. I'm just saying I think it reflects more the advancement of the real precip along I-5 than the 850 line.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

No snow in Fife at all yet. 

Sad that we get A-tier arctic air over us and out of all outcomes, it’s a rare ice event instead of 12” of snow. It be what it be. 

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1
  • Shivering 1

𝘐𝘯 𝘮𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮𝘴,

𝘐 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘰𝘸𝘯.

𝘗𝘶𝘺𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘶𝘱.

Reddit: HotlineMaestro

Guest hawkstwelve
2 minutes ago, MossMan said:

This is the winter that keeps on giving! What are we all going to do with ourselves next winter when we are in raging split flow mega Nino hell all winter? And if they keep upgrading the GFS we might not even have fantasy land 300+hr cold bones thrown our way to even dream! Savor every second of this winter!! 

I've got a feeling that some healthy mix of climate change, weird solar, and tropical volcanic activity to keep things interesting. The climate change bit might be giving us more blocky winters at the expense of warmer summers and less sea ice.

Just now, T-Town said:

My daughter is flying in from Denver as we speak. Flight was delayed two hours and arrives just before midnight. I'm her ride home of course. Should be fun. 

Get home safe man! It’s probably going to start getting iffy here in the next hour or two. I can’t be the lone north Tacoma poster drive carefully hopefully it’s not too bad by early tomorrow morning. 

• Like 3

It is sooo quiet outside right now…Almost deafening silence. We are only about 4 miles east of I-5 so typically you can hear the traffic in the far distance but not tonight. Most people must be off the roads now. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, KingstonWX said:

I can't possibly be the only person here who has considered moving there for the snow. If only they would actually create some nice areas to live in. 

If you want lake effect snow and don't want to live in Buffalo, I'd recommend looking at western Michigan. You won't get quite the same insanity as Buffalo does, but you can still get buried pretty good there. Areas like Traverse City are incredibly nice, too. And the summers up there area absolutely perfect. You get the occasional thunderstorms, but almost never anything dangerously severe or tornadic, it's about 75 degrees all summer, and unlike the PNW, no smoke!

• Like 6
  • Excited 1

7 minutes ago, MossMan said:

We will all be in Buffalo next year.

• Like 2
  • lol 4

2 minutes ago, Forum Admin said:

I've got a feeling that some healthy mix of climate change, weird solar, and tropical volcanic activity to keep things interesting. The climate change bit might be giving us more blocky winters at the expense of warmer summers and less sea ice.

I sure hope so!! Nothing more depressing than dull boring winters. 

• Downvote 1
  • Weenie 1