PNW December 2022 - Part II

Guest hawkstwelve

4 minutes ago, Forum Admin said:

I've got a feeling that some healthy mix of climate change, weird solar, and tropical volcanic activity to keep things interesting. The climate change bit might be giving us more blocky winters at the expense of warmer summers and less sea ice.

It seems like winters here have gotten more continental in the last several years compared to, say, ten or fifteen years ago. For example, the annual temperature range last year was 94 degrees for BLI (high of 100 and low of 6) which must be one of the largest of any year on record.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, MossMan said:

This is the winter that keeps on giving! What are we all going to do with ourselves next winter when we are in raging split flow mega Nino hell all winter? And if they keep upgrading the GFS we might not even have fantasy land 300+hr cold bones thrown our way to even dream! Savor every second of this winter!! 

Next winter you can decorate a palm tree for Christmas. 

• Sick 1

8 minutes ago, awright-31 said:

FEBC591A-C15F-4821-96EB-DA51597B2233.jpeg

Stay home, save lives! 

• Like 3

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Mark thinks precip turns to all liquid rain by about midnight.

• Like 1
  • scream 1
  • Shivering 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Just now, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I've been educating people all day about this and it was scary how many people didn't know. I told them be careful walking outside and if your car has ice on it do not drive, do not attempt to drive to work, stay home. They looked at me like I was crazy. I bet 80% of the population have no idea how bad this might be. I closed my shop tomorrow and moved the schedule around. This will probably be the most widespread ice storm to hit Washington in 50 years or more. 

I tried spreading the word to co workers and friends the best I could too. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, 12345WeatherNerd said:

Lol I don't think so.

Sometimes it happens (warm nose) while places lower stay cold longer.   We need the wind to shift to SE though.   An east wind will keep the direct supply of cold air pumping in and we will be the last to warm up.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

4 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I've been educating people all day about this and it was scary how many people didn't know. I told them be careful walking outside and if your car has ice on it do not drive, do not attempt to drive to work, stay home. They looked at me like I was crazy. I bet 80% of the population have no idea how bad this might be. I closed my shop tomorrow and moved the schedule around. This will probably be the most widespread ice storm to hit Washington in 50 years or more. 

Yah, I made a post earlier in the day how I gave up telling my family about this stuff. Been telling them since this morning to be careful going to work (both brother and sister works night shifts) and they just seemed to ignore it. Hopefully they can escape it before this stuff moves in but it is what it is. 

• Like 2

Just now, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Also the NWS is a joke. The warning should of been posted lastnight.  The models have been showing this for a fukin week.

Seems like their main goal is to avoid causing a panic, rather than warning the public about significant storms. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Also the NWS is a joke. The warning should of been posted lastnight.  The models have been showing this for a fukin week.

There Job is to save lives and property not worry about if people will be mad that they busted a forecast. This was a easy one, issue the fukin warning for snow or freezing rain well ahead of time. Tomorrow morning is going to be a freak show. 99% of the people are not like us, they don't even look at the temp outside or on there car. 

• Like 6

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

44 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Light snow here. 

Still anxiously crossing my fingers that being in the "snow zone" might hold true for us tonight. But based on what y'all are saying, that seems like a slim possibility now. 

I'm actually less concerned for us than I am for our sweet but VERY stubborn elderly neighbor, who is pretty determined not to cut any of her trees down or do any pruning, so she ends up with WAY too many overhanging branches for my liking. It's going to be a long night of checking in on her, I reckon.

1 minute ago, Cloud said:

Yah, I made a post earlier in the day how I gave up telling my family about this stuff. Been telling them since this morning to be careful going to work (both brother and sister works night shift) and they just seemed to ignore it. Hopefully they can escape it before this stuff moves in but it is what it is. 

I have noticed a trend the last year or so especially where people are just in their own little worlds and are just not in tuned with the environment and world around them. I am the complete opposite, I am almost too far the other way. People look at me like I’m crazy when I mention the weather in depth or tell them I’m spending the weekend prepping my property for winter, etc. they think I’m crazy. 

• Like 7

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Kinda hard to believe there's gonna be ZR here. It's so frigid and feels like it's gonna transition to snow rather than the other way around. Those raindrops will be sticking almost immediately once they start.

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"