PNW December 2022 - Part II

Guest hawkstwelve

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

925mb temps are 11 degrees warmer by Tuesday night on the 12Z ECMWF compared to its 00Z run.    My faith in the King is waning.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t925-1602400 (2).png

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t925-1602400 (1).png

We mocked the GFS but it may be the one leading the way here. It was all on its own. Wow. 

Still time for a turnaround, but I'm doubting. 

• Like 4

The other models this morning showing some signs of hope was like getting a couple touchdowns late in the game but you’re still down by 7. The Euro was the onside kick attempt and the other team recovered. 

(Previous name: MillCreekMike)

Everett, WA (elev. 180’)

2023-2024 Snowfall:

1/11: Tr.

1/18: Tr.

Go M’s

Just now, Cloud said:

We mocked the GFS but it may be the one leading the way here. It was all on its own. Wow. 

Still time for a turnaround, but I'm doubting. 

Yeah I’m not expecting this to end up good south of Everett now. The euro was the main thing giving me some hope this would work out but it looks pretty lost now. 

The Euro went from showing -21c 850mb temps and 40 inches of snow in SEA to this garbage. Pretty nasty. 

Fair to say the GFS crushed the king this round even though all the models have been far from perfect. The Euro behaved more like the 18z GFS than what we've come to expect from it. Pretty disappointing. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Perturbed Member said:

The Euro went from showing -21c 850mb temps and 40 inches of snow in SEA to this garbage. Pretty nasty. 

Fair to say the GFS crushed the king this round even though all the models have been far from perfect. The Euro behaved more like the 18z GFS than what we've come to expect from it. Pretty disappointing. 

I think all the models struggle with the warming climate to one degree or the other. Maybe what the Euro showed a few days ago would have actually happened 40 years ago. I’d imagine it must have past events and pattern progressions factored in to its algorithm.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 3
  • Facepalm 2

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

4 minutes ago, Perturbed Member said:

Pretty big points for the GFS.. it may be a bit aggressive in pulling the trough east, but in the bigger scale, it may have gotten this pattern right. Still hasn't happened yet, but early next week's stuff is DOA.. 

• Like 1

Warming climate but somehow arctic air still makes it to Florida.   

Yes the climate is warming.   But I think that is just an easy answer.   This was a very volatile situation for the models to handle and the same thing could have happened 100 years ago with this pattern.    

ecmwf-deterministic-namer-t850_anom_stream-1796800.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Facepalm 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

4 minutes ago, Perturbed Member said:

Given the complexity of the progression, I’d give the GFS a solid B at this point. It was late to the game when it came to the strong retrogression but once it did it hasn’t done too bad with the big picture. 

• Like 3

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

You get a number from a hot girl. You call her (waiting 3 days per the movie Swingers). You have a very nice chat ending with a date plan for the following week. You're on cloud 9. She's texts you "sorry, can we push out our date a couple days?..something came up." "No problem", you say, but, you're a tad nervous. No contact from her following few days.. so you text her to confirm the date. "Yes!", she says. You're stoked! You plan the date and let your mind wander "what could be". 2 days before the date you text with details of the date. ..No response. Uh oh. Wait a day...text again. No answer...

This is where we are right now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Given the complexity of the progression, I’d give the GFS a solid B at this point. It was late to the game when it came to the strong retrogression but once it did it hasn’t done too bad with the big picture. 

Over the years you've talked about forcing and i never understood up until a few years ago how important it is.

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Over the years you've talked about forcing and i never understood up until a few years ago how important it is.

Matt really has a sixth sense about this stuff.    Its not perfect... but he sees things all the time that I don't catch or fully understand.

• lol 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

5 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

GFS performed better in the late November snow too.  The King has its pluses including better lower level detail but this def is going to make me give pause in January when we get our next chance to at face value say its solution is the best.

10 minutes ago, fubario said:

You get a number from a hot girl. You call her (waiting 3 days per the movie Swingers). You have a very nice chat ending with a date plan for the following week. You're on cloud 9. She's texts you "sorry, can we push out our date a couple days?..something came up." "No problem", you say, but, you're a tad nervous. No contact from her following few days.. so you text her to confirm the date. "Yes!", she says. You're stoked! You plan the date and let your mind wander "what could be". 2 days before the date you text with details of the date. ..No response. Uh oh. Wait a day...text again. No answer...

This is where we are right now.

Never experienced that problem.  The hot girls never ever gave me their number--even my wife (who is still hot) didn't give me her number.  I had to look it up in the phonebook 37 years ago.

• lol 5

Well the King has officially betrayed us. Can’t wait for the GFS to be laughing in our faces in a couple of days when it goes back to showing 20” fantasy snow maps.

• lol 3

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3