September 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

stuffradio

Irma should become a category 5 sometime tomorrow or tomorrow night, judging by the modeled soundings over the projected track. My guess is she peaks at 165mph, but I guess something more intense is possible too.

You can't have one without the other. A super sexy -10 day is only possible because there have been spine-deteriorating, cancer-causing, bowel obstructing, ball-shrinking, rapist-creating, Nazi-sympathizing, butthole surfing +10 days before it.

Settle down. Shouldn't be too hard to wrap your completely unbiased mind around why some might be a little worn out by summertime warm anomalies at this point. And even then, it's not like I or anyone else have been complaining non-stop.

Settle down. Shouldn't be too hard to wrap your completely unbiased mind around why some might be a little worn out by summertime warm anomalies at this point. And even then, it's not like I or anyone else have been complaining non-stop.

School started. This stuff sucks, although it's not exactly difficult to find ways to make the best of it and enjoy the meteorology. Just the same as a snowy 25/18 day in mid winter.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

You can't have one without the other. A super sexy -10 day is only possible because there have been spine-deteriorating, cancer-causing, bowel obstructing, ball-shrinking, rapist-creating, Nazi-sympathizing, butthole surfing +10 days before it.

LMAO!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Who says I haven't been? Tracking it along with everyone else.

We can always hope there will be a flip side to all of this.  As I mentioned before the only really good run of minus anoms in the past 3 years was last winter.  It happening in the winter made it really special.  We have got a whole bunch of negative anomaly karma built up.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Irma should become a category 5 sometime tomorrow or tomorrow night, judging by the modeled soundings over the projected track. My guess is she peaks at 165mph, but I guess something more intense is possible too.

It appears it might hit Florida and then the Carolinas.  That would be a devastating outcome.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The current visible sat pic is sure smokey.  Almost the entire state of WA is covered.  The suns rays were completely blocked here by about 5:30.

https://www.atmos.washington.edu/~ovens/wxloop.cgi?vis1km+12

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I don't either. The smoke today and tomorrow won't help matters, although we were always a long shot in the valley. Tough to compete with 1944 and 1988.

We'll see.  The 850s get pretty crazy over the next couple of days.  It will likely be very smokey though.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The NWS is only going for upper 80s to low 90s for Seattle tomorrow and 80s on Wednesday.  Pretty wimpy with 850s of 25 or 26.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

We just went out and caught some flakes on our tongues.

#notquitethesame

Your wit is as sharp as ever today!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Only one more day of really high 850s. They likely peaked today.

You're right.  I wasn't looking at the graph very carefully.  We got off easy with this.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

High of 87 today. Sun was obscured almost completely at times. Tomorrow could be another underperformer if smoke is as thick.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

We'll see.  The 850s get pretty crazy over the next couple of days.  It will likely be very smokey though.

We'd really need to see something special to knock out 1988, even under perfect conditions. It's like trying to break January record lows while competing against 1950. And September 1988 hit pretty much everywhere from Redding to the Canadian border and above.

We'll have to settle for a tie @ 2.

PDX did still scrounge together it's First Labor Day Weekend ever with consecutive 90's though right??

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Some light ash fall here in the Tigard area.

Seeing reports of it even as far west as HIO now.

It's all really sad to hear. We used to hike out there all the time and I can't even begin to imagine what it's going to look like when this is all over. It's now getting way to close to Multnomah Falls for comfort as well with a horrible gradient tonight/tomorrow. Sucks.

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

It's all really sad to hear. We used to hike out there all the time and I can't even begin to imagine what it's going to look like when this is all over. It's now getting way to close to Multnomah Falls for comfort as well with a horrible gradient tonight/tomorrow. Sucks.

Supposed to get 30-45 mph gusts on the ridgetops tonight with that easterly gradient.

The Gorge won't be the same for the rest of our lifetimes. Pretty heartbreaking.

The Gorge won't be the same for the rest of our lifetimes. Pretty heartbreaking.

Yeah... truly heartbreaking. Read up more today on the Yacolt fire in 1902 and the similarities are eerie. Really hope it doesn't get anywhere near to that magnitude.

Cold Season 2023/24:

The NWS is only going for upper 80s to low 90s for Seattle tomorrow and 80s on Wednesday.  Pretty wimpy with 850s of 25 or 26.

Its basically going to be as if its totally cloudy the next 2 days.   Tomorrow and Wednesday will be much worse than today.   I am not even sure the smoke will clear out on Thursday now.    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Such a pragmatic, adult take on things! I figured someone would have a response along these lines. It still sucks. :lol:

It would have sucked more for the forest's health if it didn't burn. It would have been more susceptible to disease, insect outbreaks, etc. The new forest that will grow back will be healthier and will have more nutrient-rich soil.

The woods don't revolve around your emotions. ;)

• Like 3

It would have sucked more for the forest's health if it didn't burn. It would have been more susceptible to disease, insect outbreaks, etc. The new forest that will grow back will be healthier and will have more nutrient-rich soil.

The woods don't revolve around your emotions. ;)

Still sucks to have to wait 50-100 years for all that regrowth to happen again though! 

Cold Season 2023/24: