September 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

stuffradio

I know, just feels like this summer/fall debate goes in circles. Locally I like June 15- sept 15, but when making seasonal forecasts it just seems to make the most sense to use the meteorological breakdown of JJA.

Sure. I think this year, we pretty clearly saw the summer pattern carry into the first part of the month, but then as the seasonal change kicked in, the weather patterns changed as well. Happens fairly often in September.

A forum for the end of the world.

Sure. I think this year, we pretty clearly saw the summer pattern carry into the first part of the month, but then as the seasonal change kicked in, the weather patterns changed as well. Happens fairly often in September.

Keeping to a strict meteorological definition that can't be moved around in hindsight in an attempt to reframe the accuracy of busted forecasts would probably be best.

• Like 1

It's the tendency of summer weather to carry over into the first half of September that gives the month a June-like average, despite being tempered by a seasonal cooldown late in the month. Not really groundbreaking stuff. 

Keeping to a strict meteorological definition that can't be moved around in hindsight in an attempt to reframe the accuracy of busted forecasts would probably be best.

My seasonal summer forecast was always June-September. You're off here...not trying to reframe anything.

It's the tendency of summer weather to carry over into the first half of September that gives the month a June-like average, despite being tempered by a seasonal cooldown late in the month. Not really groundbreaking stuff. 

I think we all agree it's a very transitional month.

Yeah, pretty much this.

Pictures posted on facebook from Victoria over the weekend.   Truly hell on Earth.   Nuclear wasteland.  

22045926_10212178745201995_5770341101729

22089302_10212178745361999_8788388054596

22050330_10212178745842011_6392729986033

Doesn't look like the Victoria I know, not enough dying trees and starving wildlife. This is what you'll find in the rest of the city:

http://www.pacifichorticulture.org/wp-content/uploads/2002/10/2002_OND-JUSTICE-003.jpg

Wait...I just realized I screwed up. I didn't realize the sorted list I was looking at already had 2017 on it. 

So we'll get #10 warmest after all. We would need to fall all the way to 66.4 to drop to #11.

My bad!

:lol:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Wait...I just realized I screwed up. I didn't realize the sorted list I was looking at already had 2017 on it.

So we'll get #10 warmest after all. We would need to fall all the way to 66.4 to drop to #11.

My bad!

Haha.

Bad night for Flatiron. :lol:

I'm blaming this one on NOWData @ the NWS. They shouldn't taint a sorted list of monthly averages with a day-old running average of the current month.

A very rare error... but more comical because people have been watching this for days and at the last minute you moved the goal posts.  :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Fantastic night. I was the one saying early this week the close call would be top 10 or not, rather than record warmest.

Desperation!

#CoolSeptember

Bad night for me. The statman messing up stats?? No bueno. :lol:

Yeah man, what gives? You've lost your edge.

In all seriousness I'm amazed you don't screw up more often, given how many numbers you store in your memory bank every day. :lol:

• Like 1

:lol:

I think you've taken the Captain Butt Hurt title away from Jesse. Well done.

Brrrrrrrrr!!!!!

MonthTDeptWRCC-NW.png

Keep going, Phil. You're making it clear you're the bigger man here.

I'm just having fun now. You opened this can of worms, so I'll leave it up to you to close it.

Time to pay up, Kayla!

Luckily I wasn't the one who took it to Vegas! 

Good game.  ;)

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

It looks like you got some much needed rain there yesterday. I have not been paying attention to the PNW thread recently because it's been sunny and hot here this week after a few days last week that were like late October. October does start tomorrow already.

Any fires in So Cal have been contained rather quickly, but we have not had a strong Santa Ana Wind event yet. Those can spread fires from the mountains to the coast in one night.

Surprised to see PDX hit a low of 47 this morning after getting a pre-midnight low of 50 yesterday. They really pulled off a last minute overperformance to avoid a top warm September.

One night should not make a huge difference for the monthly average. If this September were warmest ever by 0.01 degrees, one cold night could maybe make a difference.