September 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

stuffradio

It's a bit pricey, but definitely worth it. You'll probably want the WeatherLinkIP unless you plan on building your own data uploader.

Have you tried Weatherbridge? It's so much better than Weatherlink, IMO. It uploads to Wunderground every five seconds and it's completely wireless.

Here's a link to mine. Captures the temperature variations extremely well with the rapid upload interval (5 secs):

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMDBETHE62#history

• Like 1

Have you tried Weatherbridge? It's so much better than Weatherlink, IMO. It uploads to Wunderground every five seconds and it's completely wireless.

Here's a link to mine. Captures the temperature variations extremely well with the rapid upload interval (5 secs):

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMDBETHE62#history

Yep, I looked at it originally and would have bought it but I couldn't find any businesses willing to ship it to Canada at a reasonable price.

I just got the Airbridge/Weatherbridge setup. Are you running the system without a console? As in just directly uploading to Wunderground or some other interface? How do you like it?

I just got the whole setup and am in process of getting it all setup for my Davis Vantage Pro2. I definitely like the idea of not having to run through a computer and worrying about missing out on data if the computer shuts down or whatnot. 

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

I just got the Airbridge/Weatherbridge setup. Are you running the system without a console? As in just directly uploading to Wunderground or some other interface? How do you like it?

I'm running mine through the Vantage Pro 2 console, right through the datalogger port.

It's so easy and has run so smoothly that I haven't even touched the WxBridge unit since I installed it last December. Post the link to yours once you've set it up!

I just got the whole setup and am in process of getting it all setup for my Davis Vantage Pro2. I definitely like the idea of not having to run through a computer and worrying about missing out on data if the computer shuts down or whatnot.

Yeah, that was a pain in the a** when I had WxLink. We'd have a power surge or my PC would update and I'd have to restart the system. Also the fact it rapid-fires to Wunderground every five seconds is incredible and is actually my favorite part about it.

• Like 1

I'm currently in the process of installing two 4K live stream weather cameras with night vision and a 35fps upload speed. Will probably run the streams on YouTube or something.

I'm also installing both a small generator and a battery backup unit w/ solar panels to run both cameras, router/modem, and the weather station/WxBridge units so they'll remain up and running even when the power is knocked out.

• Like 1

Yep, I looked at it originally and would have bought it but I couldn't find any businesses willing to ship it to Canada at a reasonable price.

How much are they quoting for a shipping cost?  They should be able to do insured priority mail for $50 to $60.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The 18z GFS is a tad colder than the 12z.  I'm surprised how solidly the cold shot hits around a week out consdidering how the trough doesn't dig very sharply.  If future runs sharpen it a bit that could be a nippy one.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Tim should get a station and post it on Wunderground. I've always wondered how much rain actually falls there.

He gets a ton.  I know Preston which is west of him gets over 80 inches a year.  Out in his area it could be 90.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

How much are they quoting for a shipping cost?  They should be able to do insured priority mail for $50 to $60.

Most of the ones I found outright wouldn't ship to Canada and the ones that do are asking for $500 CAD (~$400 USD), which was more than I was willing to pay given you can buy directly from AmbientWeather down there for a little over $200 USD.

I'm running mine through the Vantage Pro 2 console, right through the datalogger port.

It's so easy and has run so smoothly that I haven't even touched the WxBridge unit since I installed it last December. Post the link to yours once you've set it up!

Yeah, that was a pain in the a** when I had WxLink. We'd have a power surge or my PC would update and I'd have to restart the system. Also the fact it rapid-fires to Wunderground every five seconds is incredible and is actually my favorite part about it.

Great, thanks for the info! Glad to hear that you've had good success with it.

I'll be sure to post it once it's all online. Good news is I'm setting it up in a really wide open wheat field at the base of the Gallatin Range so it'll record those Arctic front winds accurately! I was hoping to get it online before this weeks snowstorm but it's not going to happen unfortunately. It'll be up for the next snowstorm which could be as early as next weekend now!  :blink:

My snowfall measuring board is all setup and ready to go though! Ughh... I'm such a weather geek!  :lol:

• Like 2

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

The 18z GFS is a tad colder than the 12z. I'm surprised how solidly the cold shot hits around a week out consdidering how the trough doesn't dig very sharply. If future runs sharpen it a bit that could be a nippy one.

Do you ever look at the ECMWF? You should. Its been trending some the other way. And its far more accurate. All basis of model discussion should at least start with the ECMWF. You will have a better idea of what is going to happen. :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Great, thanks for the info! Glad to hear that you've had good success with it.

I'll be sure to post it once it's all online. Good news is I'm setting it up in a really wide open wheat field at the base of the Gallatin Range so it'll record those Arctic front winds accurately! I was hoping to get it online before this weeks snowstorm but it's not going to happen unfortunately. It'll be up for the next snowstorm which could be as early as next weekend now!  :blink:

My snowfall measuring board is all setup and ready to go though! Ughh... I'm such a weather geek!  :lol:

Snow already? How much is expected?

Snow already? How much is expected?

Well I already had around an inch of snow on the 19th, 22nd and the 23rd but it was very wet and melted off within a few hours. So this Monday and Tuesday won't be my first accumulating snow of the year but it should stick around longer with much colder temps in the 20's and likely teens Tuesday night.

At this point, I'm probably looking at around 3-5" of accumulation.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Solar minimum years sure seem to feature more frequent western troughing than solar maximum years. At least over the last 30yrs or so.

Solar minimum years sure seem to feature more frequent western troughing than solar maximum years. At least over the last 30yrs or so.

We seem to do especially well on the downhill side of the cycle.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Dude... what is the normal summer rain there?    It can't be much.    Getting nothing is just slightly below normal.  And you rarely even see 80.  You live in a cool, dry summer climate.    Its never hot.  

Uh, no.

Getting nothing to .10" over a period that averages 2-3" is kind of a big deal.

A forum for the end of the world.

Worked in '08

That pattern brought some of the earliest mins of 25 or below on record to a few stations.  VERY similar to the pattern we are in now.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I'll have to look at my wx stats when I get home, but I think September ended up with 0.9" of rain with a +2.5 degree departure.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"