Pre-Christmas Storm Plains/MW/GL 12/21-12/22

bud2380

1 minute ago, hawkstwelve said:

Guess I have to take my 3-6 forecast and throw it in the trash for now. Those runs got me a bit more excited. Now to see if the Euro and future runs hold on to that, or if it was just a fluke.

You use the LRC you should have known, shame on you lol.

GFS has 40mb pressure gradient over Iowa for early/mid Friday. That's insane. 2009 blizzard (the only true blizzard for all of IA in 30 years) has 30mb...

• Like 1
  • scream 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

5 minutes ago, Clinton said:

@Hawkeye how long has it been since Cedar Rapids received a foot of snow in 24hrs?  I remember last year you said it had been awhile but I couldn't remember.

I know this wasn’t directed to me, but I live close to CR. 2015 we got 11” in North Liberty. But haven’t gotten a foot since the GHD blizzard. 

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Madtown said:

Nov 4th and 5th is the match? Kids birthday weekend. 2.35" of rain. 30 degree temp drop between 4th and 5th ad well

2.53" at KDSM on those dates.  Interesting. If this pans out- I'll be a fan of LRC big time.

• Like 3

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

2 minutes ago, bud2380 said:

I know this wasn’t directed to me, but I live close to CR. 2015 we got 11” in North Liberty. But haven’t gotten a foot since the GHD blizzard. 

Thanks, I only directed it at Hawkeye because he mentioned it before.  I think there is a good chance that streak may end for you guys.  Flingers crossed. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grizzcoat said:

2.53" at KDSM on those dates.  Interesting. If this pans out- I'll be a fan of LRC big time.

There is a lot to it, I'm still learning.  There may be a certain fat a** in western MO who missed a spike in the EPO on the previous storm and looked kind of silly.  When things line up with the teleconnections like they are this time it can be a cheat code for storms. 

• Like 3

Holy Moses are things coming in hot tonight! The AO and NAO are doing their work in the second cycle of the LRC. Let’s keep the qpf going up that’s all I ask. This storm closed out around southern Missouri in November I’ll take what’s the gfs is showing this time around!

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Clinton said:

@Hawkeye how long has it been since Cedar Rapids received a foot of snow in 24hrs?  I remember last year you said it had been awhile but I couldn't remember.

Cedar Rapids has not reported an official snow total in a long time.  However, I have never measured a foot in 24 hours.

• Thanks 2

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

image.thumb.png.f3dcb322dc1af970560e1a0148e7b1be.png

Can only pray for a track like this.. wishing this was Wednesday night rather than Sunday night. GEFS also has continued to show this trough getting its act together much quicker and taking that negative tilt as it translates over Kansas and Missouri. Deterministic GFS spews out over an inch of liquid which is just not supported by any of the other data at this point whatsoever. An inch of qpf has got to be still considered a 95th percentile type of solution at this point. Storms like this that bring in tons of cold air in my experience often rack up snow totals not due to lots of qpf but higher ratios.. at best I see ~0.75 qpf from this storm but one that the ratios could kick snow totals up to a foot of snow or so. 

• Like 3

A foot in 24 hours (or calendar day) is extremely rare even in the Twin Cities. In the history of MSP records I believe it's only happened like right around a dozen times. Heard that stat on WCCO up there visiting my mom several years back

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Cedar Rapids has not reported an official snow total in a long time.  However, I have never measured a foot in 24 hours.

Ive been a skywarn observer and in the snow removal  business for 15 yrs in Ottumwa.   Ghd storm was the most ive measured 17.5 inches.  13 or 14 a couple times. This is serious.  It could take days to dig out.  Folks here and contractors  will be in a epic struggle. Especially  with the wind and temperatures.

• Like 1