March in the Pacific Northwest

SEA radar is very active.

Just scattered light flurries here all day.

The band from Everett southwest towards Bainbridge Island does look interesting.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Getting a decent band of steady light snow here now and the porch, railings and cars now have a light dusting.

Down to 30 degrees with a DP of 23.

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

I think the NWS is going to bust on the call for widespread snowfall for the entire central Puget Sound area.  It's quite a bit colder here than most places and I'm not expecting anything to stick even here.  I would love to be wrong, but the cold is very shallow.  During the brief snow showers I had earlier there were periods where it turned to sleet.  The only place I would consider to have a good chance for accumulating snow is the interior from about Everett northward.  This is a strange enough situation that it could surprise me I suppose.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I think the NWS is going to bust on the call for widespread snowfall for the entire central Puget Sound area.  It's quite a bit colder here than most places and I'm not expecting anything to stick even here.  I would love to be wrong, but the cold is very shallow.  During the brief snow showers I had earlier there were periods where it turned to sleet.  The only place I would consider to have a good chance for accumulating snow is the interior from about Everett northward.  This is a strange enough situation that it could surprise me I suppose.

So with the east flow you dont think the canal will see snow? I am not sure myself.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Hey snow wizard! 33 with a dp of 31 here! Everett was the same an hr ago.

Hey snow wizard! 33 with a dp of 31 here! Everett was the same an hr ago.

I just noticed how cold it has gotten up that way.  Pretty surprising.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

So with the east flow you dont think the canal will see snow? I am not sure myself.

I have yet to see any sign of cold air on the west side of Puget Sound.  Good precip intensity and a little bit tighter pressure gradients could do it.  It is VERY rare to have much of a shot at snow at all considering what the 850s are right now.  The very cold low level air seeping in from central Washington is pretty impressive considering the fairly warm mid levels (and even lower mid levels).

I would call the chances of lowland snow south of the King / Pierce County line east of Puget Sound to be nearly zero.  The outflow zone that I'm in will be the southern boundary of any real chance at all.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Why would he be on here?    Another Bellingham and Hood Canal event is going to foul his mood even more. 

I've pretty much accepted my fate this winter.  No question I'm ready to leave here now.  Really no sense of getting worked up about what little winter is left.  I will say I'll be glad when it's all just a bad memory though.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Now gone over an inch of rain here on the day...Pretty impressive considering how weak the radar has looked.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Incredible numbers east of the Cascades. 21 with A DP of 10 in Wenatchee, mid teens in Spokane, low 20s across the Basin from I-90 northward.  Certainly does suggest the potential for some pretty cold outflow winds tonight.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Incredible numbers east of the Cascades. 21 with A DP of 10 in Wenatchee, mid teens in Spokane, low 20s across the Basin from I-90 northward.  Certainly does suggest the potential for some pretty cold outflow winds tonight.

Yeah I just checked the observations near my property over by republic. The two nearest ones were 6 and 12. That is rediculous for march in the daylight.

Yeah I just checked the observations near my property over by republic. The two nearest ones were 6 and 12. That is rediculous for march in the daylight.

Quite an over performance for such lame 850mb temps.  Goes to show how tremendously cold that air mass is that is dropping into Montana.

As much as I don't want to be...I am a tad optimistic for my chances here tonight.  Right now it's 37 with a dp around 27 and modest east winds.  That combined with the fact Central WA has gotten gradually colder during the day certainly suggests a chance the precip could fall as snow tonight.  The snowfall prediction models could have been too hung up on the high 850s with this event.  Going to be a close call for many of us though.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Down to 30 here with light snow and a dusting on everything.

Radar looks primed for us to pick up a half inch or so in the next couple hours.

Quite an over performance for such lame 850mb temps.  Goes to show how tremendously cold that air mass is that is dropping into Montana.

As much as I don't want to be...I am a tad optimistic for my chances here tonight.  Right now it's 37 with a dp around 27 and modest east winds.  That combined with the fact Central WA has gotten gradually colder during the day certainly suggests a chance the precip could fall as snow tonight.  The snowfall prediction models could have been too hung up on the high 850s with this event.  Going to be a close call for many of us though.

I'm actually quite surprised at how "chilly" it is outside. It is a long shot, but it be nice see some snow this evening.  

I am 100% impressed with the scope of the cold air that has overspread all of central and eastern WA and has begun to seep through the passes.  Lester is currently at 24 with a dp of 14.  That town is at 1600 feet and is probably about 25 to 30 miles east of here.  The outflow wind that blows through here comes from that area.  I have also noticed that pretty much everywhere from Puget Sound eastward is at their current lows for the day now.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

You are not going to have much if any real precip until tomorrow.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

You are not going to have much if any real precip until tomorrow.

That is possible.  The NWS seems to be confident in heavier precip than what is modeled.  No question there have been surprises today.  I'm not terribly hopeful but there is a chance.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

That is possible.  The NWS seems to be confident in heavier precip than what is modeled.  No question there have been surprises today.  I'm not terribly hopeful but there is a chance.

I am not sure what any of these surprises are... the models showed the coldest air today with light precip being shown for the last 5 days on each run of the GFS and ECMWF for today.

What did people think was going to happen?   Some light snow or sleet mixed in was a given.  

Obviously Bellingham has always been in the best spot.    There has been nothing really accumulating south of there.

The famous Barkley Village cam here in Bellingham for those who want to watch the flakes fall.

http://barkleyvillage.com/web-cameras/

Has southwest or south east winds taken over 38 here now,. Light rain

Olympia switched to a SW wind and jumped to 48 degrees now.   

Don't think its reached up there yet.

Has southwest or south east winds taken over 38 here now,. Light rain

I wouldn't worry about that.  The general winds are E to NE down to just north of Olympia according to the current observation map.  The colder temps that temporarily hit some places were caused by evaporative cooling.  If the precip hits later tonight that effect will take place again.  It's also possible a weak disturbance could increase the E to NE winds a bit ahead of it.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It appears some kind of an Arctic boundary is setting up.  Olympia has warmed up to 48 with SW winds while places just north of there have E to NE winds with considerably cooler temps.  That could be the wild card for some enhanced moisture tonight.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It appears some kind of an Arctic boundary is setting up.  Olympia has warmed up to 48 with SW winds while places just north of there have E to NE winds with considerably cooler temps.  That could be the wild card for some enhanced moisture tonight.

Yep. And it looks like most of the cold air we get in central sound comes from the east. You dont see that to often. The air mass over there is incredibly cold.

Hard to really call it an arctic boundary when its in the low to mid 40s around Seattle and 48 at Olympia.

Bellingham might be north of an arctic boundary... down here I think we just have some drier air that has been pushing in from the east since last night.

NWS seems to finally be coming back to reality for Bellingham.

This morning they were talking about 4-7" and snow till tomorrow evening. Now they are forecasting up to 2" tonight and turning to rain tomorrow morning.

Snow coming down pretty nicely here and everything but the pavement is white though. Very pretty out. 

Looks like the northern half of Hood Canal is really cooling now.  Looks like parts of the Kitsap Pen and the area around Everett could be big winners.  I sure hope something can manage to move through here later tonight.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Nice to see the nws downgrade the hood canal. I have no idea why they went hog wild at first. That is the first time I have seen a warning issued then dropped 3 hrs later before anything even happened. What a joke. Lol.

Looks like something pretty good might verify...at least from Bremerton north.

This is one of the trickiest situations I've ever seen to predict.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Hard to really call it an arctic boundary when its in the low to mid 40s around Seattle and 48 at Olympia.

Bellingham might be north of an arctic boundary... down here I think we just have some drier air that has been pushing in from the east since last night.

most temps are in upper 30's in that area. A couple low 40's. I could not find any mid 40's.

WTF?

The NWS changed the forecast to straight snow for Tacoma tomorrow morning while Everett get rain possibly mixed with snow??  :lol:

Very odd how they dropped the all snow forecast for most of the zones.  I wonder if a newbie made the forecast and one of the old timers freaked out when they saw it. 

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

WTF?

The NWS changed the forecast to straight snow for Tacoma tomorrow morning while Everett get rain possibly mixed with snow??  :lol:

Very odd how they dropped the all snow forecast for most of the zones.  I wonder if a newbie made the forecast and one of the old timers freaked out when they saw it.

Thats odd since NWS Seattle just posted on Facebook about the snow. 4-7" for Whatcom Co. 3-6" for Hood Canal area, & 1-3" for Puget sound lowlands.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!