March in the Pacific Northwest

Awesome... models keep speeding up the next system!   Should rain almost all day tomorrow now.   We really need it.   

At least we still got a nice day today. :)

I'm still going to try to get a hike in early tomorrow morning. Thinking somewhere out in the eastern gorge. Precip should hold off until at least noon or so out that way.

At least we still got a nice day today. :)

I'm still going to try to get a hike in early tomorrow morning. Thinking somewhere out in the eastern gorge. Precip should hold off until at least noon or so out that way.

Not happy... we wanted one decent weekend day.   Tomorrow the rain arrives by mid-morning and then Sunday will be a drizzle fest out here.     

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Not happy... we wanted one decent weekend day.   Tomorrow the rain arrives by mid-morning and then Sunday will be a drizzle fest out here.     

Oh boy.. what I would give and sacrifice for weather like that here!!! ^_^

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Oh boy.. what I would give and sacrifice for weather like that here!!! ^_^

Yeah... 15 inches of rain here in the last 5 weeks.    Really looking forward to some more rain... the excitement is incredible!     

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Weren't you just saying it's been raining down there?

Sure, but as you may know, I don't get that much rain throughout the year along the east slopes. Half of it comes from convection, not to mention.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

Nothing you post makes sense.

What doesn't make sense? I enjoy what little rain I get. You guys get 10x more than I do.

This is a semi desert climate. Connect the dots. I don't just like it for 1 day and then hate it the next.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

It's actually in danger of dropping below 40 here in the next 15 minutes or so.  Overall though the torch this week has been horrible.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Here are a few pics of the last Standard sunrise

http://weathercrazy.smugmug.com/Weather/Sunrise-3814

So, as the sunrise was ending, I was treated to an amazing spring assault on the ears.  

In this video, the visual isn't great, but turn the volume up to hear the coyotes, crows, many other birds and even an owl around 33 seconds :)

• Like 2

March 8th... already 4.25 inches of rain at SEA.    That is 477% of normal to date.

Could be in the top 10 wettest months of March by tomorrow morning.     And it will only be the 9th day of the month.  

Nothing else to do on this mess of day... looked at SEA daily stats.

This is the wettest first 10 days of March in history at SEA.    

And by tomorrow it will not even be close.    I bolded it so people would catch it when browsing through.   :)

March 1 - 10 

2014 - 4.33

1972 - 4.26

1987 - 4.20

In first place now with 2+ more days of rain to pad the stats.

And by tomorrow it will not even be close. I bolded it so people would catch it when browsing through. :)

March 1 - 10

2014 - 4.33

1972 - 4.26

1987 - 4.20

We had a rain shower about 1hr ago, otherwise it has been mostly dry here!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

The words yuck and ugh pretty much sum up today.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The words yuck and ugh pretty much sum up today.

WRF shows the front hanging up over King County all day tomorrow as well.   

And then the back edge of the trough getting us all day Monday.

Fun stuff!     Could be another 2 days of rain for us.   

WRF shows the front hanging up over King County all day tomorrow as well.   

And then the back edge of the trough getting us all day Monday.

Fun stuff!     Could be another 2 days of rain for us.   

This time of year can be excruciating here.  I want to get going on outdoor projects, but weather like this kind of takes the fun out of that.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

This time of year can be excruciating here.  I want to get going on outdoor projects, but weather like this kind of takes the fun out of that.

Some people on here want this crap to last like this until July... or maybe all summer.       :lol:

And by tomorrow it will not even be close.    I bolded it so people would catch it when browsing through.   :)

March 1 - 10 

2014 - 4.33

1972 - 4.26

1987 - 4.20

That is actually a really good idea. 

I sure wish you could send some of your weather down here in CA. We really need it, instead of these ridiculous low 80's and Santa Ana conditions that seem to keep repeating themselves this winter.

March 1 - 10 

2014 - 4.33

1972 - 4.26

1987 - 4.20

It still can be a good day in the rain. Case in point, me and my wife put on our rain gear and hauled gravel all day and made the front of my shop at home look nice. We had a great day laughing at how hard the rain was. :)

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

It still can be a good day in the rain. Case in point, me and my wife put on our rain gear and hauled gravel all day and made the front of my shop at home look nice. We had a great day laughing at how hard the rain was. :)

Maybe if was not the 27th out of the last 30 days with rain.     

Looks like a meaningful break is coming though.

Model data comes out an hour later starting tomorrow.   

NAM will now start running at 6:45 am & pm

GFS will now start running at 8:30 am & pm

Canadian will come out around 10 am & pm

ECMWF will come out at 11:55 am & pm but start updating on some sites like Wundermap around 11 am & pm

Model data comes out an hour later starting tomorrow.   

NAM will now start running at 6:45 am & pm

GFS will now start running at 8:30 am & pm

Canadian will come out around 10 am & pm

ECMWF will come out at 11:55 am & pm but start updating on some sites like Wundermap around 11 am & pm

Winter cancel

No question the chances look pretty high for a period of solidly below normal temps setting in just before the 20th.  Certainly can't rule out a lowland snow threat with this.  The ECMWF ensemble has been strongly on board for this period of colder weather as heights rise dramatically over the GOA and the Aleutians.  Given the propensity for extreme events this season I would say the chances are above average for a lowland snow threat.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I am so done with this " winter " see you guys in July and August when T-storm season arrives 

That's ALL I care about right now

I'm hoping to see a series of dry cold fronts this spring which would bring some frosty nights.  That is probably my favorite spring time weather. 

We could have thunderstorms in May or June also.  I've seen some good warm core storms in those months.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Like who?

Find me one person who wants 55-degree rain every day all summer.

iFred and Poulsbo Snowman have said they would actually love that.

Even more impressive record now at SEA:

March 1 - 10 

2014 - 5.11

1972 - 4.26

1987 - 4.20

Amazingly wet 10-day period... coming off a very wet February.

Looking like a pretty good shot of much colder air starting around day ten from now. Should bring the cascade snow pack back up nice. Looks like snow levels could go below 1000ft.

00Z ECMWF does not look too impressive at 240 hours... I doubt it will be turning very cold and snowy at 1,000 feet.

http://www.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/getchart/catalog/products/forecasts/medium/deterministic/msl_uv850_z500!Geopotential%20500%20hPa%20and%20Temperature%20at%20850%20hPa!240!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2014030900!!chart.gif

Just FWIW, it looks like legitimate troughing could briefly return to the west-central US during the late March. Big +AAM surge migrating poleward with retrogression over the NPAC..right in time for Spring.. :). Could also lead to a severe weather outbreak in the Central/SE US..

However, this should be brief, and it looks like the cold signal in the East continues into April, looking at the stratosphere and the culling of the PV. Total ugh..

Some similarity to 2009 at this time.

Here are a few pics of the last Standard sunrise

http://weathercrazy.smugmug.com/Weather/Sunrise-3814

So, as the sunrise was ending, I was treated to an amazing spring assault on the ears.  

In this video, the visual isn't great, but turn the volume up to hear the coyotes, crows, many other birds and even an owl around 33 seconds :)

That looks very nice. :)

I'm at 4.5 inches of rain so far. The normal average for this month is 6.3 inches.

00Z ECMWF does not look too impressive at 240 hours... I doubt it will be turning very cold and snowy at 1,000 feet.

http://www.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/getchart/catalog/products/forecasts/medium/deterministic/msl_uv850_z500!Geopotential%20500%20hPa%20and%20Temperature%20at%20850%20hPa!240!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2014030900!!chart.gif

Looks more like it's just slower with what is coming. Sure would be a nice break from the moss fest.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.