March in the Pacific Northwest

And now of course the 00Z GFS goes all wonky on us...

I would say the chances are 30% or 40% the block will set up in such a way as to introduce some notably chilly continental air. I don't like how many runs dig the trough is an unfavorable way.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

101 days until the days start getting shorter. Winter is coming!

Thanks for souring my mood. I haven't seen a 60 degree high in almost half a year, so can it. :)

I don't think spring is ever gonna get here. Only 4 degrees outside with blowing snow. I've had it. F**k me. F**k everything.

chances for snow goes up?

I highly doubt there will be lowland snow with any of these scenarios.   

Famous last words of course!

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Not seeing any chilly troughing on the 12Z ECMWF after the system on Monday morning.    And that has become the opposite of a dry, quick-moving clipper.   It is now a slow-moving slog of heavy rain.    

In fact... it sort of looks like we take a break during next week like we had this week and then go back to mild and wet again next weekend.

SEA is going to make a good run at the wettest March in history.    The 2-3 day breaks in between rainy periods makes it much more tolerable though.   But It would be nice if we could get a break on a weekend.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Thanks for souring my mood. I haven't seen a 60 degree high in almost half a year, so can it. :)

I don't think spring is ever gonna get here. Only 4 degrees outside with blowing snow. I've had it. F**k me. F**k everything.

This winter has been pretty much a one-sided affair with almost all the cold and stormy weather in the east and nothing but warm in dry in Socal and the Desert Southwest . It's time for a change to a milder pattern back east and a series of storms to hit the west coast affecting all of CA as opposed to just extreme northern CA and the PNW! We need some relief from this bad drought that has set up over the last 2-3 years.

This winter has been pretty much a one-sided affair with almost all the cold and stormy weather in the east and nothing but warm in dry in Socal and the Desert Southwest . It's time for a change to a milder pattern back east and a series of storms to hit the west coast affecting all of CA as opposed to just extreme northern CA and the PNW! We need some relief from this bad drought that has set up over the last 2-3 years.

(Says in a baby voice) Don't worry.  Monsanto will take care of everything. We'll be all right.   (sarcasm off)

Meanwhile we have had several inches of rain from radiation free waters of Hawaii and all the lawns and yards of my area at least are absolutely GREEN!!!    When the sun was at low angles it made the green stand out that much more!     

Last Spring was the greenest Spring we have actually ever had after the May and June rainy period.

Check out the cool satellite images of this page showing how our winter was.   http://www.rense.com/general96/pacstorms.html  It's actually a very interesting article assuming there are still people left with reading and vocabulary skills who can handle it.

-

Where did all the professional mets go?  I liked reading their posts ... .

A better question might be, .. What's herewhether where looking at the broader forum, or more narrowly at this main sub-forumthat might interest them. ?

Per my appreciation of their input / participation here, since the new switch-over, there's been one actual "met", that on occasional drops up something more noteworthy in line with his broader preview of things going on, either whether or both, more meteorological or more climatological. This withas you've suggesteda steady decrease in posts submitted by mets, set against the appearance more initially, that more might perhaps join in to different discussions.

But, with expanding somewhat on my main question here above, and where considering the idea of perhaps hearing a more "professional" perspective on whatever, whenever, either whether more meteorological or perhaps more climatological, apart from their initiating an idea, .. What's here, more substantive, for them to comment with respect to. ?

.. This question, leaving alone what they might find here that might repel them, otherwise.

---

The 12z and 18z GFS were reasonably cold. Three times the 850s go below -5 on the ensemble mean.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

12z Euro is pretty ugly. Warm and wet looks like it will be the theme this month.

The GFS, GFS ensemble, and ECMWF ensemble are all much colder than the ECMWF operational.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Another nice day in Redmond and Bothell. High clouds starting to move in and 50º. Something to note as well, today was the last sub 40º solar day until September 28th.

Bull. Mets on AmericanWX are numerous and post all season long. If you're at the point of using "summer" as an excuse for the lack of professional participation, you have a problem..so just admit it already.

There's a reason for the lack of mets here, but it's clear to me that no one is interested in solving the problem(s), which stem(s) from forum division and unnecessary trolling. This place needs to be totally restructured we want any influx of new membership.

1) Do away with the individual forums for each region, and instead pin a thread for each region in one forum named "US Weather". Preferably 3-4 pinned threads: NW US, SW US, Central and/or Eastern US.

2) Mod-preview posters with tendencies to troll and/or attack. New members that are joining are afraid to post here at the fear of being attacked for their preferences/ideas/etc.

• Like 1

Bull. Mets on AmericanWX are numerous and post all season long. If you're at the point of using "summer" as an excuse for the lack of professional participation, you have a problem..so just admit it already.

There's a reason for the lack of mets here, but it's clear to me that no one is interested in solving the problem(s), which stem(s) from forum division and unnecessary trolling. This place needs to be totally restructured we want any influx of new membership.

You quoted the wrong post here.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Seems that nearly every part of the country is grumpy about their weather this year. There are probably many people east of the Rockies as pissed off about their winter as I am about ours. Just too much of a broken record this time around. Hopefully the young people on this forum know what the expression means. :lol:

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

-

1) Do away with the individual forums for each region, and instead pin a thread for each region in one forum named "US Weather". Preferably 3-4 pinned threads: NW US, SW US, Central and/or Eastern US.

2) Mod-preview posters with tendencies to troll and/or attack. New members that are joining are afraid to post here at the fear of being attacked for their preferences/ideas/etc.

.. I disagree whole-heartedly, with the conclusions more structural arrived at here more initially above:  apart from the "trolling" part;  as in with considering my own experience, where having run across it I've yet to have found a congruent meaning, certainly definition, for this term where used   as it appears to have been here above leastwise:  in conjunction with different [more obscure] online discussion-board or "forum" settings. 

This, along with solution (?) no. 1 suggested here above, pointed to as a remedy (?) for "the lack of professional participation". 

As I in fact appreciate the idea very much, of there being a "new" "California" sub-forum having been established.  

Beyond these ideas, and respect to solution / remedy, no. 2 here above otherwise, .. and, if with the observation attached to itapparently meant to point to a condition pervading herebeing stated far too generally for my own appreciation, my feeling, being that "Mod-preview" certainly, can be, a useful tool where considering some types of more questionable post submission/s appreciated. ....

Although with all of these ideas above, speaking for myself and if with reflecting certainly somewhat back to what I'd said more initially above where regarding the idea of and interest in more perhaps, having more "meteorological scientists", accredited, whether both join this forum, along with also of course both contribute and discuss different and various ideas here, or with their already being register members here participate more regularly, my own hope, would be more, just that the general discussion here is of a level along with quality of substance, in line with what might interest them. Can't lose with these more basic ideas I wouldn't think.

---

You quoted the wrong post here.

Haha, ya think? :rolleyes:

I've had a brutal, stressful, wired, crazy, hectic, out-of-control week..so I'm probably not done lousing up.

Haha, ya think? :rolleyes:

I've had a brutal, stressful, wired, crazy, hectic, out-of-control week..so I'm probably not done lousing up.

I'm sure your weather will warm up soon. It pretty much has to since we are almost to the equinox.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The 18z GFS is actually showing a couple inches of snow at my location early Monday morning, along with very intense precip with frontal passage. Would be an interesting scenario, especially after what promises to be a very pleasant weekend.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Seems that nearly every part of the country is grumpy about their weather this year. There are probably many people east of the Rockies as pissed off about their winter as I am about ours. Just too much of a broken record this time around. Hopefully the young people on this forum know what the expression means. :lol:

Exactly, it's no longer enjoyable.. My heating bills are something out of a horror movie. The insane cold led to the bursting of 3 pipes leading into my house back in January. No birds or signs of life. My daughter has been fighting pneumonia for a month, and the cold isn't helping that.

Last night we were slammed with wind gusts reaching 72mph and 4" of snow as temps fell to 0 degrees yet again. Ordinarily I'd love that..

I feel blessed to have spent this winter here.    The November - early February period was awesome.   

A little too wet for the last month but that is to be expected.     Spring is here and it feels like we never really had winter.   

My sister-in-law and family booked an impromptu trip to Florida for next week.    Her description to me yesterday of the last few months in Minnesota... "WORST.   WINTER.   EVER."

Read more, post less.

Very nicely done.

Speaking of reading, interesting article: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/coast-guard-warns-bad-ice-atlantic-canada-ships-173704122.html

The Canadian Coast Guard is pleading with merchant ships to plan their voyages well in advance this year as the organization's icebreaker fleet confronts some of the worst ice conditions on the Atlantic Ocean in decades.

Plenty of ice all around after the anemic melt of 2013. The NW passage should remain blocked for a long time, now that ice over 15ft thick has been blown in:

http://www7320.nrlssc.navy.mil/hycomARC/navo/arcticictn/nowcast/ictn2014031218_2014031000_038_arcticictn.001.gif

Believe what you like.

This isn't directed to you btw, "cousin Phil".

.. And you apparently, even evidently, only read what you think might be being said.

.. More specifically focused, discussion. (?)

Can you elaborate, please, without the unnecessarily long, drawn out, jumbled, incoherent sentences? l No disrespect intended.

Believe what you like.

This isn't directed to you btw, "cousin Phil".

.. And you apparently, even evidently, only read what you think might be being said.

.. More specifically focused, discussion. (?)

Related / Relating, to different more specifically defined "regions". (?)

Yes. I think the degree of separation is key.

Can you elaborate, please. ... [i'll try this etiquette "thing" again, later.] .....

With regard to what. ? 

"... a reason for keeping 'the community' divided." - Your words. Pretty much at least. Correct. ?

"More specifically focused discussion", already.

... Dealing with, more specific issues, and ideas, related / relating more to, the "divisions" more "regional", having been put in place. ?

---

-

.. With my apologies here again. For the resultant clutter here above. In fact antithetical to what I'd hoped to have pointed to more initially, within post no. 790 of the previous page of posts. 

In my defense. I'm sober. And don't do very well with reactionary types.

I hope you stay around permanently especially during the winter season.  Even though you are in California, when you posted on the original Western, your success at predictions of cold air and moisture for the entire  west coast was second to none.  I am sure others will disagree, but you were spot on.

You were able to predict things spot on that noone including pro mets could not do, your analysis of what you look at and how you come to your forecast was phenomenal.

The WRF actually gives me a decent snow event Sunday night...IDK if I should believe it though...

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/data/current_gfs/images_d2/or_snow24.84.0000.gif

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.