March in the Pacific Northwest

Here are pics from the final night up in Alaska. I didn’t get any sleep, do you think it was worth it?? I do!

http://weathercrazy.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Aurora-312-

Congratulations to Tyler, these pictures are featured on the KOMO TV web site, under "Regional News":

http://www.komonews.com/weather/blogs/scott/Photos-Northern-Lights-dance-over-Alaskas-frozen-north-251503421.html

The 12Z is showing our monthly average precipitation for April within the first 10 days of the month. I know that's the long range, but come on. This basically happened for this month also, where we got more than 60% of the average precipitation for March within the first week.

I think the GFS is being way too aggressive.

The ECMWF does not show a pattern that would be super-wet for next week.   The only really wet system on the ECMWF is on Friday of this week.

More of a broad trough... not a raging jet stream.     The 12Z ECMWF follows this idea.

http://www.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/getchart/catalog/products/forecasts/medium/deterministic/msl_uv850_z500!Geopotential%20500%20hPa%20and%20Temperature%20at%20850%20hPa!192!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2014032412!!chart.gif

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Thanks! 

It's 64 here as of 1 PM...a far cry from the -30 when I up there two weeks ago today.

Congratulations to Tyler, these pictures are featured on the KOMO TV web site, under "Regional News":

http://www.komonews.com/weather/blogs/scott/Photos-Northern-Lights-dance-over-Alaskas-frozen-north-251503421.html

The last thing all the rescue workers need right now is rain up in Oso. Wish today's weather would hold for a month straight! Anyone heard from WinterDog? I know he lives on the east side of I-5 in Arlington (Arlington addressees span a big area) hoping he was clear of the slide.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Hit 70f today, gorgeous day.  5 straight mornings with frost.  31f this morning, 30f yesterday and 27f the coldest of the days the day before that.  About to come to a screeching halt on both ends of the temp readings for the next 6 days at least.  

The last thing all the rescue workers need right now is rain up in Oso. Wish today's weather would hold for a month straight! Anyone heard from WinterDog? I know he lives on the east side of I-5 in Arlington (Arlington addressees span a big area) hoping he was clear of the slide.

Be terrible to get a 2-day c-zone going up there right now.

I think the stuff for the next 3 days will be of the scattered variety and the flow is not likely to produce c-zones.

Friday looks like all-day rain though,

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

We have a pretty significant thunderstorm threat the next couple of days. I've already had two days with thunder this year. Looking possible it might be another big year for that. No question the weather the past few days has done some good for my attitude. It dropped to 27 on Saturday which is about the coldest I've recorded after the spring equinox.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

In regards to the slide just east of Oso, a buddy of mine is a member of King County SAR and he has been up there the last two days and sent me an e-mail earlier that stated the following.

" Hey man, just wanted to tell you that this is the worst scene I have ever witnessed in my SAR career, it is very bad here and likely to get worse " 

From what I am seeing on tv, I can totally grasp where he is coming from.

Very sad all around

Topography map of the slide area shows that this was inevitable.   To say it was unforeseen is just silly.   

Its like the sides of a sandcastle sliding down when the water comes in... you can see from the topography map that its been happening for a long time in that area as the river continues to carve out a valley.   The area to the west of the current slide area is actually built on previous slide debris.

http://seattletimes.com/ABPub/2014/03/24/2023218598.gif

Wow that really shows the areas that are prone to slide, and the areas that already have.

I wish everyone understood that erosion will always continue. 

Topography map of the slide area shows that this was inevitable.   To say it was unforeseen is just silly.   

Its like the sides of a sandcastle sliding down when the water comes in... you can see from the topography map that its been happening for a long time in that area as the river continues to carve out a valley.   The area to the west of the current slide area is actually built on previous slide debris.

Not good news for us. If you look at the CFSv2 Monthly and the monthly precipitation anomaly for April, you would see why I say that.

Care to make it easier for all of us and post details...?

and regarding the slide...thoughts with all. Jesse, I think you're completely wrong on the logging comment.

Care to make it easier for all of us and post details...?

and regarding the slide...thoughts with all. Jesse, I think you're completely wrong on the logging comment.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/people/mchen/CFSv2FCST/monthly/images/CFSv2.NaPrec.20140325.201404.gif

Off to Maui.  :) starting the trip with a sore throat.  <_<

How on Earth do you afford to travel so much, and how can you miss so much time from work? Almost like Tim.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Holy crap! Only 2 users on this topic right now. I guess I'm not the only one who hates this time of year.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

How on Earth do you afford to travel so much, and how can you miss so much time from work? Almost like Tim.

I have 5 weeks of PTO available per year... been with the company for 10 years. We make a trip to MN in the summer and usually two winter trips to some place very warm and very sunny each winter. The longer the better. I never care at all about the weather here when we are gone unless its sunny and then I am pissed. :lol:

The rest of my PTO is used here and there... more often in the summer when we have guests or we just want to spend a nice day on the boat.

And this weather pattern is pretty sucky. Not a mix of nice days and stormy days. Just some rain every day for the foreseeable future. Typical spring.

I have 5 weeks of PTO available per year... been with the company for 10 years. We make a trip to MN in the summer and usually two winter trips to some place very warm and very sunny each winter. The longer the better. I never care at all about the weather here when we are gone unless its sunny and then I am pissed. :lol:

The rest of my PTO is used here and there... more often in the summer when we have guests or we just want to spend a nice day on the boat.

And this weather pattern is pretty sucky. Not a mix of nice days and stormy days. Just some rain every day for the foreseeable future. Typical spring.

The bolded part is not true.

• Like 2

Wow, that monster storm over the NE has produced a flurry of wind gusts above 120mph over the mainland of Atlantic Canada..sheesh.

I wouldn't be surprised if 150-160mph gusts occurred over the water somewhere given the warm seclusion.

-
Still dense cold having moved south, remaining substantially dense where also having been moving more strongly east at the time, to meet earlier warming, warmer and wetter air in its path, and with the resulting system, centered more to the north of that cold, having been boxed in additionally, otherwise, by a next wave of cold to its northwest, also having been moving more strongly east, while less far south.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpS1WBqBnCE&feature=youtu.be (".. quality")
http://theweatherforums.com/index.php?/topic/201-early-spring-2014-colder-air-mass-movement-and-distribution-projections/?p=22634

Not particularly "surprising".

.. Any particular reason for having brought up the idea here in the PNW's general discussion thread. ?

---

Only five weeks???

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Only five weeks???

I figured you might have more.   People start with 3 weeks at our company and get 4 weeks in the second year and 5 weeks after 5 years... regardless of their position.

After this year I will move up to 6 weeks and that is the max no matter how long you work there.

This is about as slow as I've ever seen it on here. 4 posts in 24 hours!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

-
.. Make it 6.

Here's somethin' certainly worthy of note more generally for ya Jim.

http://www.proxigee.com/current_condition-banner_mtbachelor.jpg
http://www.mtbachelor.com/winter/mountain/mountain_experience/latest_photos
Substantive even. 

A main focus for me, at this point, with my planning to head north to Bend at the first of the month.

---

SEA up to 8.15 inches for the month as of last hour.

The record for the wettest March ever is 8.40 inches in 1950.

Might be crossing that threshold today.