March in the Pacific Northwest

As of the last hour... SEA has tied the record for the wettest March in history.   Sitting at 8.40 inches right now but its pouring rain there so I assume the record is already broken.

And another couple days of strong post-frontal showers coming up to pad it.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

As of the last hour... SEA has tied the record for the wettest March in history.   Sitting at 8.40 inches right now but its pouring rain there so I assume the record is already broken.

And another couple days of strong post-frontal showers coming up to pad it.

Thanks for the breaking news Tim. ;)

Brett Anderson's latest update on the long range pattern below (after a section about another snowstorm).      Does not look as wet here now.   Looks about normal.  

In fact... he must have run out of red coloring or decided to use primarily blue or leave it blank.   :)

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/anderson/another-storm-another-snow-map-and-the-long-range/24987810

Very little red shown on these maps. 

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

KOMO story about breaking the record.    I see we are almost to the wettest February/March period ever as well.    Just another .25 to go for that record.

http://www.komonews.com/weather/blogs/scott/Seattle-sets-record-for-all-time-wettest-March--252968331.html

Just think... in another month we get to listen to people complaining on here about how dry it is when it stops raining for 3 days!   

KOMO story about breaking the record.    I see we are almost to the wettest February/March period ever as well.    Just another .25 to go for that record.

http://www.komonews.com/weather/blogs/scott/Seattle-sets-record-for-all-time-wettest-March--252968331.html

Just think... in another month we get to listen to people complaining on here about how dry it is when it stops raining for 3 days!   

You mean 3 months. May is a teaser, then June is usually Juneuary.

You mean 3 months. May is a teaser, then June is usually Juneuary.

Sort of hoping with the extreme nature of the wetness in the last 2 months that we might swing to drier sooner than normal.

I know 1950 was a totally different ENSO situation... but that year the extreme wetness in February/March was turned around into a very nice May and June overall.   

Who knows though.  

No. Ideas like this are a waste of my time.

It will happen.    We could have 200 inches of rain on the year and certain people on here would complain 2 days after the rain stops.  

-
What part of "No", don't you understand. ?  

"No. Thanks very much, all the same".  (Better.?)

Allow me to make myself more clear here for you.

I don't like reading through "complaints" about the weather. And am certainly not interested in hearing someone's conjecture, about future complaints that either whether will, or might be posted about it.

• Like 1
---

SEA is not slowing down... another .13 in the last hour.    Only .12 to go for the wettest February/March ever.

8.60 now for the month.   

This also breaks the record for March for the Federal Building site going back to 1872.

A truly historic wet month.

It will happen.    We could have 200 inches of rain on the year and certain people on here would complain 2 days after the rain stops.  

Like who? I can't think of anyone. 

I think the only reason some people were complaining about the lack of rain a few months ago is because it had been a legitimately dry winter up until the middle of February.

-

I don't like reading through "complaints" about the weather. And am certainly not interested in hearing someone's conjecture, about future complaints that either whether will, or might be posted about it.

This is the most well written post I've ever seen from you.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The weather this week has felt more like a mild winter pattern than a cool spring one.

I agree. This just plain sucks. I like springs like 1949 and 1951. Lots of cold nights and sunny days. There is simply no defending the usual weather in this region in the late winter and early spring. Ghastly is a word that comes to mind.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

.20 at SEA in the last hour.

Bring the monthly total to 8.88 inches.    

And now this is the wettest February/March on record as well with 14.99 inches.

Also set record rainfall for the day... so far at .86 today alone.

Another very wet day! At last checked I had 1.62" of rain since midnight. 4.11" since Tuesday.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Brett Anderson's latest update on the long range pattern below (after a section about another snowstorm).      Does not look as wet here now.   Looks about normal.  

In fact... he must have run out of red coloring or decided to use primarily blue or leave it blank.   :)

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/anderson/another-storm-another-snow-map-and-the-long-range/24987810

Very little red shown on these maps.

Horrible. I've almost forgotten what a warm day feels like. My last 70F+ high temperature was almost 7 months ago.

-

You're on your way to becoming a true Canadian!

-

Horrible. I've almost forgotten what a warm day feels like. My last 70F+ high temperature was almost 7 months ago.

Broader Climate related here again (even weather dissatisfaction "focused".)invariably I suppose, ….

.... Per my estimation more general, as opposed to its drift, more southwardas I've characterized the idea previouslyand where looking at this idea more narrowly, down through the greater eastern portion of the U. S. over this past winter, main and more primary cold should be able to both consolidate more successfully, along with maintain its general hold much better, within its main higher-latitude source regions and areas, next year and then thereafter.

---

Pretty morning out here. It's partly cloudy and the sun is shining. Looks like heavy showers will be moving in shortly, though.

Would be nice to get a thunderstorm today. I haven't had one in my area since the big show in early September.

Ya, it is pouring rain here and completely overcast.  Hoping this will break up soon and we can get some heating in here.

Pretty morning out here. It's partly cloudy and the sun is shining. Looks like heavy showers will be moving in shortly, though.

Would be nice to get a thunderstorm today. I haven't had one in my area since the big show in early September.

It's not raining here right now, but Environment Canada says there is a risk of Thunderstorms here today. I had two lightning strikes overnight that I saw.

Looks like another half inch or so overnight. Need to add up my March totals, but probably somewhere in the 13-14" range for rainfall.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Guest Monty67

We will for sure have had a foot of precipitation, most of it coming in the form of rain this month within the next few days. Only 2-3 inches of the precipitation is snow. I don't know what the record is here for March, but I assume we have broken it.

If you are using the Abbotsford station, then it wont be a record wet March. It will fall short of both 1950 and 2007, both of those months had close to 13.5". I believe this March is currently 4th and it might be a close call for passing 1997, they will need about 3/4" the next 3 days to crack the top 3.

SEA is at 9.15 inches for the month now.

Absolutely crushing the old record of 8.40 inches at this point.   And its not done yet.

Previous record for wettest February/March ever was 14.85 inches and now we are at 15.26 inches.

Also... SEA is now just about to 6th place for the wettest January-March period.

Looks like another half inch or so overnight. Need to add up my March totals, but probably somewhere in the 13-14" range for rainfall.

I'm over 11 inches now. Just insane. I would almost expect a major period of cool and dry weather after something like this, but I'm not holding my breath.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

If you are using the Abbotsford station, then it wont be a record wet March. It will fall short of both 1950 and 2007, both of those months had close to 13.5". I believe this March is currently 4th and it might be a close call for passing 1997, they will need about 3/4" the next 3 days to crack the top 3.

I am using that one. I don't have a Weather station close enough to me to be able to get an accurate measurement for my specific area, so I have to use that or Pitt Meadows. I think Pitt Meadows would probably be less accurate for me though. I'm not sure.

Updated totals Tim?? :P It has been an usually active period around here as well, which is a nice change.

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12