March in the Pacific Northwest

Updated totals Tim?? :P It has been an usually active period around here as well, which is a nice change.

9.23 inches at SEA for the month.    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Anyone overwhelmed by the rain recently can always come up here. Only 4.6" this month in the rain shadow. Really this month has not seemed that wet and there have been plenty of nice days.

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

SEA is over 9 inches now for the first time ever in March dating back to 1872.

I can't believe that 9"+ of rain is a March record for Seattle, given that it is still the wet season in a wet climate, but I guess that the rain shadow from the Olympics helps to keep the totals down a bit. Los Angeles' wettest March in the 20th century was in 1983 in which 8.37" fell, followed by 1978 with 8.02".

I can't believe that 9"+ is a March record for Seattle, given that it is still the wet season in a wet climate, but I guess that the rain shadow from the Olympics helps to keep the totals down a bit.

It smashes any March total going back to 1872.

And while it normally rains almost all of March... its usually not raining this heavy.     

March usually sucks beyond reason around here.   April as well.    Its just insane how much its rained.    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

:lol:

Its true.   

You try to disassociate yourself with the coastal region but most people realize that once you go west of Olympia and Shelton you are in the coastal region of the state.   

You live in the coastal region.   You are just a couple miles away from Aberdeen.    

Its true.   

You try to disassociate yourself with the coastal region but most people realize that once you go west of Olympia and Shelton you are in the coastal region of the state.   

You live in the coastal region.   You are just a couple miles away from Aberdeen.    

I don't even consider Aberdeen itself coastal, so I disagree.

Big difference in many things between here and the actual coastal region.

I don't even consider Aberdeen itself coastal, so I disagree.

Big difference in many things between here and the actual coastal region.

:lol:

I don't live in the foothills either.   The actual foothills are 2 miles away.   Big difference.   :rolleyes:

I live almost 30 miles from Westport, thats a big difference.

Not really.    You are in the coastal region.    

Are you saying Aberdeen is not in the coastal area of the state?   :lol:

You could walk to Aberdeen in about 15 minutes.

http://www.washingtoncamper.com/images/waregions.gif

Weatherwise, I do not live in the coastal region of the state. I was just talking weather related.

And if I could walk 30 mph, then I could make it into aberdeen in 15 minutes.

Why do you insist upon arguing others opinions, it is my opinion on the subject, you have yours.  Leave it at that.

Weatherwise, I do not live in the coastal region of the state. I was just talking weather related.

And if I could walk 30 mph, then I could make it into aberdeen in 15 minutes.

Why do you insist upon arguing others opinions, it is my opinion on the subject, you have yours.  Leave it at that.

You live in the coastal region.     Montesano, Elma, Raymond, etc. are all in the coastal region.  

And its not a thriving area like most coastal areas... largely due to the climate.      Your climate is as bad as mine over here. 

http://seattletimes.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/fyi-guy/files/2014/03/fyiguy-dyingcounties.jpg

You live in the coastal region.     Montesano, Elma, Raymond, etc. are all in the coastal region.  

And its not a thriving area like most coastal areas... largely due to the climate.      Your climate is as bad as mine over here. 

http://seattletimes.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/fyi-guy/files/2014/03/fyiguy-dyingcounties.jpg

What are you trying to prove? Your obsessiveness is laughable.

And, I never said the climate was good here, you did.

You live in the coastal region. Montesano, Elma, Raymond, etc. are all in the coastal region.

And its not a thriving area like most coastal areas... largely due to the climate. Your climate is as bad as mine over here.

Good lord. You need to chill out.

Stop taking the record wet month out on everyone.

The arrogance of King County is pretty D**n obvious on this map. Every other place in the state is in a zone of some kind but King County is it's own zone. :lol:

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The arrogance of King County is pretty D**n obvious on this map. Every other place in the state is in a zone of some kind but King County is it's own zone. :lol:

Should have been labeled 'Central Sound' on that map.

March rainfall down here in Oregon...

PDX: 7.05"

SLE: 7.12"

EUG: 5.74"

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

I don't know who made that map that Tim posted, but they called King County "King Country".

I did not notice that until now... never heard that before.   :)

I just pulled it off the internet to show the coastal region.

This is the dumbest map I've ever seen for Washington.

• Like 2

This is the dumbest map I've ever seen for Washington.

I agree. Just grabbed something that showed the basic coastal region. He lives 5 miles east of Aberdeen.

I agree. Just grabbed something that showed the basic coastal region. He lives 5 miles east of Aberdeen.

If the dumbest map you've ever seen for Washington helps make your point then perhaps you should re-evaluate the point you're trying to make.

I had my first t'storm day for 2014. Wasn't anything too exciting, 1 flash and a couple rumbles. The clouds though were exceptionally dark for this time of year. This was about 7:15pm.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2lc3dyh.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/2ly0utu.jpg

This was close to being a thundersnow event, it's been snowing (not sticking) for about 30 minutes outside.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Good enough for 4th place at PDX!

Their wettest was in 2012. March has become wetter than February, by a decent amount, in the last 15 years.

That kind of worries me. The thing that has kept us from having a really good January may still be in effect. That may be the case until some these twisted types of stats begin to straighten out.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Yeah you would need to do some serious mental JIMnastics to argue that where he lives is not coastal.

JIMnastics?

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

.. "good", as you've used it here above, meaning what more specifically. ? If I may ask.

Meaning it's been forever since we have had a notably cold January here. We've had a bunch of other odd things that have gone along with that like the stat Justin mentioned of March overtaking February for normal rainfall.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It's beginning to look like the Puget Sound area will have some cool and dry weather early next week. Surface gradients become northerly with thicknesses below 540. Should mean some frosty nights coming up.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Meaning it's been forever since we have had a notably cold January here. We've had a bunch of other odd things that have gone along with that like the stat Justin mentioned of March overtaking February for normal rainfall.

Ok. So, and if you'll pardon me here again, ... January "cold" is "good" for the general area more close in and around Seattle proper, while greater than normal rainfall during March as opposed to more in and during February isn't. This about right. ? 

---