March in the Pacific Northwest

I'm at 8.6" of rain this month.

Just 3.68 inches here.

There's obviously been some pretty rainy days but there's been enough sunny days to make for a pretty balanced, pleasant feeling month here.

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Global temps have crashed...coldest (anomaly) since early 2012, on NCDC:

http://www.climate4you.com/images/NCDC%20GlobalMonthlyTempSince1979%20With37monthRunningAverage.gif

Steady on RSS, colder than the start of 2013:

http://climate4you.com/images/MSU%20RSS%20GlobalMonthlyTempSince1979%20With37monthRunningAverage.gif

-

.. No staying power, more poleward, where and with looking at the idea of basic "cold" consolidation through the more extreme higher latitudes, both north and south, .. This, year.

"Cold's", gone "elsewhere", i.e. spread through some of the main regions that it would more southward, and from, some others, main and more to the north (N. hem.), that it would, or has been able toeither, more naturally.

.. If we're "lucky", ... "things" will warm significantly over the next few years through the main mid-latitudes, and more specifically, more equatorial regions and zones, .. with main and more primary cold [then] being able better, to consolidate more successfully, both more northward and more southward.

---

-
.. Not sure what you're asking / suggesting, here Fred.

Sooner, later. .. Where, when.  ... more, meridional (?), movement of cold. ?

I'm basically just saying that more primary coldfor whatever reason, this yearwith not having been [more / better.] able to fix itself north, and south, as well as it might more generally, has instead (basically) drifted, more into the mid-latitudes.  Emphasis still more here, on for whatever reason. And with this, to regions more conducive to this idea, chief example the greater East earlier this season. This with and if not so much recognized, otherwise, down through the Central Pacific:  of course filling in [even] much more, at this point.

If this all above is still in line with your question, then yeh. .. Pretty much.

---

45/34 up here today. Yesterday was 61/34 with 1.07" of precip. Just a light dusting of slush on the deck last night.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

For some reason I'm just not that excited about the cold trough we will be in for the next several days. My attitude is just sour right now.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Global temps have crashed...coldest (anomaly) since early 2012, on NCDC:

http://www.climate4you.com/images/NCDC%20GlobalMonthlyTempSince1979%20With37monthRunningAverage.gif

Steady on RSS, colder than the start of 2013:

http://climate4you.com/images/MSU%20RSS%20GlobalMonthlyTempSince1979%20With37monthRunningAverage.gif

Yet the UK has had one of the mildest winters on record after a trend of snowy strings!  :lol:   No offense to you of course.  

In fact even the Netherlands have had poor skiing conditions with little to no snowfall.

I must admit Wednesday night through the weekend look pretty good right now. Looking like we begin with a legitimate cold air mass with some continental flavor and eventually go into a ridge. Should be some pretty heavy frost later in the week and into the weekend with sunny crisp days. Normally with a pattern like this the lows stay about the same through the clear period while the days get progressively warmer. It's been pretty much forever since we have seen a dry pattern with below normal temps.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Yet the UK has had one of the mildest winters on record after a trend of snowy strings!  :lol:   No offense to you of course.  

In fact even the Netherlands have had poor skiing conditions with little to no snowfall.

They were due for a loser winter.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Awesome ski weekend in Idaho... today was incredible.   Saturday and Sunday were warm with just passing high clouds and then 10 inches of fresh powder overnight on Sunday.   Got a picture of my son after he fell... but it was such a soft landing that I think he enjoyed it.   

1959812_611580045576874_1873082885_n.jpg

998404_611610525573826_1500747007_n.jpg

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Guest Monty67

Yea, I am sure the Dutch ski slopes have really been suffering this season.

I have some really nice 36F drizzle here this morning.

Sad day for those at KOMO news, thoughts and prayers to those who were involved in their chopper crash.

Was on my way to work this morning DT sitting at a red light @ Denny and Broad facing east and saw the helo lift up, rotate counterclockwise then nose dive and crash landing on it's side.

I'm still shaky from having witnessed that, my thoughts and prayers go out to KOMO

Bad news up in Seattle this morning. :(

Not super impressed with this troughy period so far. PDX hasn't even fallen below 40. I miss the good old days when it could get cold in March (2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2006, 2002).

Ya, I only managed to fall to 40 last night.  The low clouds are here, for now, but appear to be breaking up from the SE.

I am looking forward to this weekend with cold, crisp nights, and sunny warm days.

Not super impressed with this troughy period so far. PDX hasn't even fallen below 40. I miss the good old days when it could get cold in March (2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2006, 2002).

Was on my way to work this morning DT sitting at a red light @ Denny and Broad facing east and saw the helo lift up, rotate counterclockwise then nose dive and crash landing on it's side.

I'm still shaky from having witnessed that, my thoughts and prayers go out to KOMO

Wow... you were right there??     That would be very scary.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I think you'd trade that crap for the 23 degree high they just had in February any day.

I think you'd trade that crap for the 23 degree high they just had in February any day.

I absolutely would. No doubt. Our high of 32 out here on March 2 wasn't too shabby either.

Watching the rest of the country get consistently crushed as we move through March still has me a little jealous though. I'm always down for more cold anomalies. :)

The west as a whole is definitely pretty due for some full latitude troughing.

• Like 1

CPC is showing well above average temps for the entire western US on its 6-10 and 8-14 day outlooks.

Not sure if I buy it though since models seem to be settling on the idea of brief ridging early next week with another trough moving in quickly.

NOAA's warm bias is getting painfully obvious. Sorry, but my backyard was not "near normal" during February. In fact, it was -5.9F below normal, overall.

These two maps are on the same baseline. If this is the game they can play (and get away with) in the US, imagine what they're doing over the rest of the globe.

I have to wonder if the CFS data on WxBell is actually the legitimate truth..

http://catchmypicture.com/f/7HnVqB/640.jpg

http://catchmypicture.com/f/e2e6PR/640.jpg

Also, the color scheme is deceptive. The light blue is very hard to see..obviously intentional.

I want these dips**ts fed to the dogs, ASAP..

I would love for this to verify... probably won't but maybe the overall pattern will favor ridging out west this summer.    Last summer we were warm without much genuine ridging so maybe we are still due to have a true ridgy summer.   

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/anderson/possible-clues-into-the-summer-1/24541198

NOAA's warm bias is getting painfully obvious. Sorry, but my backyard was not "near normal" during February. In fact, it was -5.9F below normal, overall.

These two maps are on the same baseline. If this is the game they can play (and get away with) in the US, imagine what they're doing over the rest of the globe.

I have to wonder if the CFS data on WxBell is actually the legitimate truth..

http://catchmypicture.com/f/7HnVqB/640.jpg

http://catchmypicture.com/f/e2e6PR/640.jpg

Also, the color scheme is deceptive. The light blue is very hard to see..obviously intentional.

I want these dips**ts fed to the dogs, ASAP..

Sort of a "public" "Report" here Phil. ... 

If "perhaps" correct where considering some of what you've suggested. (The operative word here being "if".) And if with granted "all" of what you've pointed to or inferred here being just an opinion.

... But so's this view point of mine.

Should I list the "objectionable" elements, .. or no. ?

---

I would love for this to verify... probably won't but maybe the overall pattern will favor ridging out west this summer. Last summer we were warm without much genuine ridging so maybe we are still due to have a true ridgy summer.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/anderson/possible-clues-into-the-summer-1/24541198

Oh good lord. Those maps are absurd. Where doesn't he have it painted red? :lol:

So Phil, are you saying the HPRCC maps are more reliable than the NOAA ones?

Yes. Look into how NCDC "quality controls" the grid layout based on station distribution. It's laughable, and designed to trim the colder anomalies, while amplifying/expanding the warmer deviations.

Oh good lord. Those maps are absurd. Where doesn't he have it painted red? :lol:

Only about 30% of the country is painted in actual red on each map.

Maybe only 20% in April and May.

You just see it through cold biased eyes.

I am just looking at it for clues on the overall pattern and where ridging will be more dominant this summer.   It seems that the models are saying that is out West and that is nice to see.

I would love for this to verify... probably won't but maybe the overall pattern will favor ridging out west this summer. Last summer we were warm without much genuine ridging so maybe we are still due to have a true ridgy summer.

How can Brett Anderson run a climate-change blog, yet posses zero understanding in the realm of climate modeling? The Canadian baselines are only 0.25-0.4 degreesC behind in average, depending on your chosen 30yr block.

The problem is the modeling has run way warm in the long range (upwards of 1-1.5C over the northern hemisphere on the most recent Canadian NAEFS!).

Only about 30% of the country is painted in actual red on each map.

Maybe only 20% in April and May.

You just see it through cold biased eyes.

I am just looking at it for clues on the overall pattern and where ridging will be more dominant this summer. It seems that the models are saying that is out West and that is nice to see.

I don't think I'm the only one just seeing what I want to see...

I am trying to avoid conflict here lately so I'll leave it at that.

I don't think I'm the only one just seeing what I want to see...

I am trying to avoid conflict here lately so I'll leave it at that.

I see the models depicting a ridgy pattern out West this summer.    How far above normal is not what I care about right now.   

Tell me how you can look at those maps (which are a consensus of several models) and not see that the general theme is ridging in the West?

That is not me seeing something that is not there... its pretty clear that is what it shows.    You just hate the idea of that and therefore will attack the messenger.       

Guest Monty67

I would love for this to verify... probably won't but maybe the overall pattern will favor ridging out west this summer.    Last summer we were warm without much genuine ridging so maybe we are still due to have a true ridgy summer.   

Hopefully a beautifully hot and dry summer is in store for us.
  • Like 1