The Weather Forums

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I walk away from the forum for a few hours and come back to this.   The local sub forums are there to make it easier to find region specific content, because if someone were to post extensively about

My apologies to everyone for sticking up for what was actually a pretty solid winter. I forgot that it didn't snow much in the foothills outside of Salem, thus it was horrendous. I will never mention

"Dear Diary".     ... dresses you the way she wants, cause she never had 'a .. dog.   — Always a pleasure fellas.

Posted Images

Has southwest or south east winds taken over 38 here now,. Light rain

I wouldn't worry about that.  The general winds are E to NE down to just north of Olympia according to the current observation map.  The colder temps that temporarily hit some places were caused by evaporative cooling.  If the precip hits later tonight that effect will take place again.  It's also possible a weak disturbance could increase the E to NE winds a bit ahead of it.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 5

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

It appears some kind of an Arctic boundary is setting up.  Olympia has warmed up to 48 with SW winds while places just north of there have E to NE winds with considerably cooler temps.  That could be the wild card for some enhanced moisture tonight.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

It appears some kind of an Arctic boundary is setting up.  Olympia has warmed up to 48 with SW winds while places just north of there have E to NE winds with considerably cooler temps.  That could be the wild card for some enhanced moisture tonight.

Yep. And it looks like most of the cold air we get in central sound comes from the east. You dont see that to often. The air mass over there is incredibly cold.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Hard to really call it an arctic boundary when its in the low to mid 40s around Seattle and 48 at Olympia.

Bellingham might be north of an arctic boundary... down here I think we just have some drier air that has been pushing in from the east since last night.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

NWS seems to finally be coming back to reality for Bellingham.

This morning they were talking about 4-7" and snow till tomorrow evening. Now they are forecasting up to 2" tonight and turning to rain tomorrow morning.

Snow coming down pretty nicely here and everything but the pavement is white though. Very pretty out. 

Everett Snowfall

2018-19: 24.75"

2019-20: 10.5"

1/10: 0.5"

1/12: 5.5"

1/13: 1"

1/14: 1.5"

1/15: 2"

Nice to see the nws downgrade the hood canal. I have no idea why they went hog wild at first. That is the first time I have seen a warning issued then dropped 3 hrs later before anything even happened. What a joke. Lol.

Looks like the northern half of Hood Canal is really cooling now.  Looks like parts of the Kitsap Pen and the area around Everett could be big winners.  I sure hope something can manage to move through here later tonight.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

Nice to see the nws downgrade the hood canal. I have no idea why they went hog wild at first. That is the first time I have seen a warning issued then dropped 3 hrs later before anything even happened. What a joke. Lol.

Looks like something pretty good might verify...at least from Bremerton north.

This is one of the trickiest situations I've ever seen to predict.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

Hard to really call it an arctic boundary when its in the low to mid 40s around Seattle and 48 at Olympia.

Bellingham might be north of an arctic boundary... down here I think we just have some drier air that has been pushing in from the east since last night.

most temps are in upper 30's in that area. A couple low 40's. I could not find any mid 40's.

WTF?

The NWS changed the forecast to straight snow for Tacoma tomorrow morning while Everett get rain possibly mixed with snow??  :lol:

Very odd how they dropped the all snow forecast for most of the zones.  I wonder if a newbie made the forecast and one of the old timers freaked out when they saw it. 

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

WTF?

The NWS changed the forecast to straight snow for Tacoma tomorrow morning while Everett get rain possibly mixed with snow??  :lol:

Very odd how they dropped the all snow forecast for most of the zones.  I wonder if a newbie made the forecast and one of the old timers freaked out when they saw it.

Thats odd since NWS Seattle just posted on Facebook about the snow. 4-7" for Whatcom Co. 3-6" for Hood Canal area, & 1-3" for Puget sound lowlands.

Why does anyone care about the NWS forecast for snow??

They are just guessing like us.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Well I got about about .1" of some corn-like snow pellets about an hour ago and my temperature is 33.5F. Unfortunately it looks like the precipitation has shut off again. I can't believe Bellingham is getting so much snow again while 20 miles to the south I get essentially nothing. My only hope is that some precipitation pops-up off the Strait again, but I am not holding my breath.

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.43 (2012)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 6.9"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" 

2020-21: 10.5" (2/10: Tr, 2/12: 0.5" , 2/13: 8.5", 2/14: 1.5")

Well I got about about .1" of some corn-like snow pellets about an hour ago and my temperature is 33.5F. Unfortunately it looks like the precipitation has shut off again. I can't believe Bellingham is getting so much snow again while 20 miles to the south I get essentially nothing. My only hope is that some precipitation pops-up off the Strait again, but I am not holding my breath.

Not really a ton here so far, 3/4" to 1" of a whole bunch of stuff (mixed snow, sleet, and graupel like snow pellets). Lightening up now.

Troutdale reporting ZR now.

Billings, MT is at -17 as of 11pm. Their all-time March record is -19.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 12.0"                        2020-21: 58.15"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

Although I’m glad to have not missed an epic event back home, it’s pretty sad to see how things changed from just a couple of days ago. This has to be up there in the top 5 of most disappointing model busts within 5 days. From every ensemble member showing -12 850’s or better to the rain/snow line barely being south of Bellingham for a 12 hour period. SICK. Looking like much lighter snow totals here now as well, with the heaviest snow falling in the Philly region. 

Although I’m glad to have not missed an epic event back home, it’s pretty sad to see how things changed from just a couple of days ago. This has to be up there in the top 5 of most disappointing model busts within 5 days. From every ensemble member showing -12 850’s or better to the rain/snow line barely being south of Bellingham for a 12 hour period. SICK. Looking like much lighter snow totals here now as well, with the heaviest snow falling in the Philly region.

The south trend shocked me..now I'm expecting another foot of snow and 0.5" of ZR.

If I get one more subzero low this winter, I'm gonna scream 'till I'm blue in the face. I've had enough.

Pretty nice small area of convergence has been set up over Bellingham for the last several hours.

I just measured 2 full inches of snow/graupel and the roads are totally covered. Just came in from sledding in the parking lot here.

Nice view on the WWU webcam:

http://www.wwu.edu/wwucam/

Everett Snowfall

2018-19: 24.75"

2019-20: 10.5"

1/10: 0.5"

1/12: 5.5"

1/13: 1"

1/14: 1.5"

1/15: 2"

To put it bluntly the expectations for this winter was high and we had bust after bust here in the Puget sound. Honestly, this winter is an utter nightmare for many of us as we have just been totally screwed here! Super depressing and I homestly just want this winter to end and move on to spring!!

• Like 1

65 years ago this storm probably would have been 100-200 miles further south and the entire puget sound region would be having a full blown snowstorm for the next 2 days. #globalwarming

You know hashtags are pointless here... #duh

Only a trace here..... We really need that low to jog south.. Very unlikely obvs but still would be great!

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3

65 years ago this storm probably would have been 100-200 miles further south and the entire puget sound region would be having a full blown snowstorm for the next 2 days. #globalwarming

No...the thermal gradient has not changed significantly enough. The antecedent domain temperature is it relavent in of itself.

#physics

The south trend shocked me..now I'm expecting another foot of snow and 0.5" of ZR.

If I get one more subzero low this winter, I'm gonna scream 'till I'm blue in the face. I've had enough.

I can't beleave how fast the hole process of this storm has changed to just a day or so ago.just a slight ajustment of the pv was all it took amazeing.