March in the Pacific Northwest

I have been watching that low coming in monday for 4 days. Every run it has trended south. Now it is coming in around forks. Getting close to being interesting.

how far south has it trended over the last few days?

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

27 degrees currently in Lynden, they should be having some fun today! 34 degrees currently here and cloudy.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

It's been a busy week for me so not much activity on my end here, but super excited to see more snow for my hometown! Not as much as last time, but still enough to whiten up the roads given everything has essentially melted from last weekend's storm. Areas across Vancouver are reporting 2-5" at this hour, with the highest totals inland toward the FV.

Looks like a transition to rain tonight. A southerly track of the upcoming lows does not seem likely at this point unfortunately. Models seem to have a pretty good handle on this now with the trend. Looks to be a very wet week. 

Super happy to see the CA has had some much needed rain.

• Like 1

The south trend shocked me..now I'm expecting another foot of snow and 0.5" of ZR.

If I get one more subzero low this winter, I'm gonna scream 'till I'm blue in the face. I've had enough.

Tell me about it.

I haven't had as much snow as some surrounding areas (Chicago, Detroit, etc.) but still above average for the season. The real story has been the COLD, my gosh. It is so awful. My mean temperature for the entire winter (Dec1-Feb28) is 19F when it should be closer to 28F. First half of March is already pegged to have a -12F anomaly... snow >>>>>> cold. I'd rather foot snow storms than nickel and dimers with bitter wind chills. 

After looking at the cams around the border area, it looks like Sumas is the place to be today!

Currently 35 with a DP of 29 here and cloudy.

It's been a busy week for me so not much activity on my end here, but super excited to see more snow for my hometown! Not as much as last time, but still enough to whiten up the roads given everything has essentially melted from last weekend's storm. Areas across Vancouver are reporting 2-5" at this hour, with the highest totals inland toward the FV.

Looks like a transition to rain tonight. A southerly track of the upcoming lows does not seem likely at this point unfortunately. Models seem to have a pretty good handle on this now with the trend. Looks to be a very wet week. 

Super happy to see the CA has had some much needed rain.

Where did you see reports of 5 inches?

Amen to that! :)

Sticking a fork in winter... or for rain until July?

Nothing more depressing than April - June in the PNW when its constantly raining.    Hope we can have something like last year.    Its a pretty sick mind who would want nothing but rain until July.             

Even Jim and Jesse would agree with that.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Nothing more depressing than April - June in the PNW when its constantly raining.    Hope we can have something like last year.    Its a pretty sick mind who would want nothing but rain until July.             

Yup April through June is probably the most depressing part of living here. 

Ya seriously...the april-june timeframe is the absolute worst.

I'm going to say something to you that you say all the time.  Climatology.  Count on it.

I'm going to say something to you that you say all the time.  Climatology.  Count on it.

Of course.   

Does not mean its enjoyable in any way.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

An active spring can be decent if the storms are fast moving.  I'd rather have rain, along with some sunbreaks and fast moving showers etc. than endless days of rain and clouds, like today.  A break every few days makes the amount of rain seem tolerable. 

An active spring can be decent if the storms are fast moving.  I'd rather have rain, along with some sunbreaks and fast moving showers etc. than endless days of rain and clouds, like today.  A break every few days makes the amount of rain seem tolerable. 

Big time.   

I enjoy it.  That's one of the reasons why I live here.

If I wanted sun, I would move to San Diego.

There would be nothing enjoyable about a spring filled with stratiform, cold rain events.  Depressing to even think about... let alone live through.    You don't have to go to the other extreme and say its better than the desert.

Where is this low making landfall? Somewhere near forks?

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3

Where is this low making landfall? Somewhere near forks?

Astoria!

I wish.

Not sure. Mr. Snowmizer would know, though!

I remember a few years back Tim mentioned something to the effect, even with the longer daylight hours, it just shows off the gray even longer throughout the day.

There would be nothing enjoyable about a spring filled with stratiform, cold rain events.  Depressing to even think about... let alone live through.    You don't have to go to the other extreme and say its better than the desert.

Perhaps that's the way you like your weather.  I, on the other hand, have different likes.  Shoe... other... foot.

I remember a few years back Tim mentioned something to the effect, even with the longer daylight hours, it just shows off the gray even longer throughout the day.

Tim just wants nice weather so he and his family can take out their boat and enjoy the water on a nice sunny day.

Wait...that is what I want as well! Bring on spring!

Rain at night twice a week, but sunny and warm every day! That is my wish!

Tim just wants nice weather so he and his family can take out their boat and enjoy the water on a nice sunny day.

Wait...that is what I want as well! Bring on spring!

Rain at night twice a week, but sunny and warm every day! That is my wish!

Right there with ya buddy!

Perhaps that's the way you like your weather.  I, on the other hand, have different likes.  Shoe... other... foot.

Sort of vampire-ish to cheer for dark, stratiform rain until July.    Not even 'sort of'... truly vampire-like.      

There are people on here who like active weather with showers and sunbreaks and thunder in the spring (even me to an extent)... but even they don't want stratiform, cold rain until July.    :lol:

True.

Nest Saturday is a little better on the 12Z ECMWF.    Might get one good weekend day.

http://www.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/getchart/catalog/products/forecasts/medium/deterministic/msl_uv850_z500!Geopotential%20500%20hPa%20and%20Temperature%20at%20850%20hPa!144!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2014030212!!chart.gif

Thats what I was thinking too...at 10am on the models it was at 129 W and 44N approximately vs. 129W 44N which is where it is currently at.

Still rain at 33F here..

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3