Weather Stations

Brennan

i recently bought a house and I want to set up a really nice and accurrate weather station. I'm posting here to hopefully get some input on what are the best ones out there. Thanks!

Congrats on the house!

I'd recommend a Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with a the fan aspirated radiation shield, if possible. If you want to upload the data to Wunderground for everyone to see, I'd also recommend the weatherbridge system from Ambient Weather.

The good wx stations are very pricey (I had to save for several months), but worth it in the end if you're truly a die-hard weather weenie, like me. :P

https://www.ambientweather.com/am6163airbridgekit.html

I'm actually in the process of saving up for a Pulsar/Lufft WS800 ultrasonic weather station.

Going to require at least another 12-18 months of saving until I'm able to afford it, but it'll be worth it, I think. Much less maintenance, no moving parts, and some of the most accurate sensors/instrumentation available. :P

Davis Vantage pro2 is pretty good. A lot of weather enthusiasts have them. A little more expensive but better quality than most.

I am not very familiar with but have heard good things about Peet bros.

http://www.peetbros.com/shop/

I actually have a Peet Bros.  I've had good luck with it.  One thing I highly recommend for anyone that lives in a windy area is to get a wired station.  The wireless ones only give a reading every 2 seconds or so and it's not as fun as watching the instantaneous updates you get with wired.  The station I have is wired, but I'm not sure if all Peet Bros stations are or not.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I'm actually in the process of saving up for a Pulsar/Lufft WS800 ultrasonic weather station.

Going to require at least another 12-18 months of saving until I'm able to afford it, but it'll be worth it, I think. Much less maintenance, no moving parts, and some of the most accurate sensors/instrumentation available. :P

Now that would be cool!

Speaking of Lufft...I used to sell a hand held temperature / humidity / dew point unit from them and they are freeking awesome.  The reaction time to changes in conditions is utterly ridiculous!

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Davis pro vantage 2 for me since 2013. No problems with it and I highly recommend it. 

Don't get the accurite, oregon scientific, lacrosse, etc. These are less accurate and less dependable. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

• 2 weeks later...

Not a personal weather station question, but an AWOS question. What causes them to under report rain? I’m only 5 miles from the Bend AWOS but I’m constantly noticing it missing out on rain. I would understand if it was once in awhile, but there are many times where I’ll receive a good wetting rain and the airport AWOS will show nothing.

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

As a follow up to my comment. If you only care about temperature, or rain, you can buy cheap sensors that work relatively well for those...but if you want good wind data you have to pay for it. Also if you want very accurate temp/precip data you again have to pay for that. So I tend to think if you want anything better than a 40 dollar station you should go big and go with Davis. 

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Davis pro vantage 2 for me since 2013. No problems with it and I highly recommend it.

Don't get the accurite, oregon scientific, lacrosse, etc. These are less accurate and less dependable.

I had an Oregon scientific that was pretty good for rain and temp but like you posted above, fell short of the mark on wind readings. I also had a lacrosse that was total garbage, lasted less than 1 year and the wind readings were a joke.

Have had a Davis pro v2 since October 2012. The rain gauge can be a little erratic depending on rainfall intensity but overall it’s good. Far superior in the wind readings. After 5 years the rain gauge needs repairs.