On This Day In History...Major Weather Events in the PNW or West

snow_wizard

Certainly a great storm.  Seattle also managed to pick up respectable 12.5", but that was only an appetizer for the utter ridiculousness that would ensue later in the winter.

As you are probably aware the records for Olympia indicate this event could have been truly epic there with a supposed 3.67" of water equivalent with a high of 30 and a low of 25.  I have never been able ascertain how much snow they actually had.

Newspaper reports that I've read indicated 14" depth in downtown Olympia with that storm. The 3.67" is definitely a weird, overdone number.

Portland getting 28" while the rest of the region reported 8-16" is also pretty weird.

Our historically massive storms in the region almost all feature quirks like that, actually. Heavier pockets of precip in certain spots.

Some examples:

1/31/1937 dropped 25" on Salem while most everywhere else landed between 8-16".

1/13/1950 dropped 24" around SEA, but most places landed under 15" with that storm.

1/26/1969 dropped 30" on Eugene while most places had 8-16".

1/25/1972 dropped 22" at Olympia but few other spots went over 16".

12/29/1996 dumped 26" on Victoria while most of the rest of NW WA and SW BC had 12-18".

Our historically massive storms in the region almost all feature quirks like that, actually. Heavier pockets of precip in certain spots.

Some examples:

1/31/1937 dropped 25" on Salem while most everywhere else landed between 8-16".

1/13/1950 dropped 24" around SEA, but most places landed under 15" with that storm.

1/26/1969 dropped 30" on Eugene while most places had 8-16".

1/25/1972 dropped 22" at Olympia but few other spots went over 16".

12/29/1996 dumped 26" on Victoria while most of the rest of NW WA and SW BC had 12-18".

True, I didn't say it didn't happen like that, but it was a pretty extreme example.

That 1/26/69 storm had over 20" for much of the southern Willamette Valley, from what I've seen.

A forum for the end of the world.

Portland getting 28" while the rest of the region reported 8-16" is also pretty weird.

I think that's a legit total. Portland was a first-order Weather Bureau station, with trained personnel. It's difficult to see them screwing up snowfall measurements that badly. East Portland reported 25" during the storm. At the time, East Portland was its own city with an official COOP weather station. Glenora, at about 600' in the Coast Range near what is today Lee's Camp, measured 33.5" which included 26.5" in 24 hours. 

True, I didn't say it didn't happen like that, but it was a pretty extreme example.

That 1/26/69 storm had over 20" for much of the southern Willamette Valley, from what I've seen.

Portland area was definitely the sweet spot but all of SW WA got buried, too. Olympia had upwards of 14", Aberdeen had 20.5" , and Chehalis had 22". Pretty wide geographic area. In Western Oregon, Salem had 9", McMinnville reported 13", and not far up the road Forest Grove had 28". The Oregonian also reported 19" at The Dalles. 

The 1969 storm actually had a pretty tight gradient in the Willamette Valley. Corvallis only had about half of Eugene's total with that storm. That storm nailed Roseburg up to Eugene though, and all the way out to the coast, so it was still a pretty widespread area of nuclear totals.

12-21-1990: The coldest day on record on the southern Oregon coast. Max/min pairs on this day were 23/13 in North Bend and 25/8 in Bandon. 

12-22-1990: Fairfield, Idaho dropped to -52, just missing the state record low for December. The record is -54 at Stanley on 12-23-1983. Boise airport hit -25 for its all-time record low. 

I think that's a legit total. Portland was a first-order Weather Bureau station, with trained personnel. It's difficult to see them screwing up snowfall measurements that badly. East Portland reported 25" during the storm. At the time, East Portland was its own city with an official COOP weather station. Glenora, at about 600' in the Coast Range near what is today Lee's Camp, measured 33.5" which included 26.5" in 24 hours. 

Oh there's no question it was legit  :lol:  Literally every news report and weather reporting spot out of the modern Portland region indicated 2' depths by the 23rd, with obviously significant impacts. 

Oh there's no question it was legit  :lol:  Literally every news report and weather reporting spot out of the modern Portland region indicated 2' depths by the 23rd, with obviously significant impacts. 

Apparently the snow depth in Portland was measured at 22" during the storm. It's weird how that number doesn't show up in the CSV file for downtown that I got from the Utah Climate Center. This appears to be the all-time record snow depth for downtown Portland.

FWIW the monthly total at Olympia in December 1892 is listed as 52.0". Makes me think a whole lot more than 14" fell there during that storm. The state monthly climo report also has this: 

The greatest 24 hour precipitation occurred at Olympia on the 21st-22nd, when 3.68 inches fell, mostly in the form of snow. 

That sounds like 3 feet in that 24 hour stretch alone, with additional totals on surrounding days. 

Certainly a great storm.  Seattle also managed to pick up respectable 12.5", but that was only an appetizer for the utter ridiculousness that would ensue later in the winter.

As you are probably aware the records for Olympia indicate this event could have been truly epic there with a supposed 3.67" of water equivalent with a high of 30 and a low of 25.  I have never been able ascertain how much snow they actually had.

52.0" was the monthly total for December 1892, as reported by the Weather Bureau.

1892-93 was such an incredible winter. 

91" in Aberdeen, 90" in Olympia and 61" in Portland. 

Not to mention the most brutal cold ever recorded in the city of Seattle.  A low of 3 in the city and -10 at Woodland Park near Seattle.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Not to mention the most brutal cold ever recorded in the city of Seattle.  A low of 3 in the city and -10 at Woodland Park near Seattle.

I thought Woodland Park hit -5 in that cold wave? Either way, I do remember reading that it was the coldest temperature ever measured inside Seattle city limits. 

Apparently the snow depth in Portland was measured at 22" during the storm. It's weird how that number doesn't show up in the CSV file for downtown that I got from the Utah Climate Center. This appears to be the all-time record snow depth for downtown Portland.

FWIW the monthly total at Olympia in December 1892 is listed as 52.0". Makes me think a whole lot more than 14" fell there during that storm. The state monthly climo report also has this: 

The greatest 24 hour precipitation occurred at Olympia on the 21st-22nd, when 3.68 inches fell, mostly in the form of snow. 

That sounds like 3 feet in that 24 hour stretch alone, with additional totals on surrounding days. 

Yeah, it's hard to say with the way reports used to be. I'm actually looking back through The Oregonian archive right now and one article mentions a 14" total there in town while another the day before mentions close to 30"  depth around Olympia with five feet falling in 24 hours  :lol:  Apparently several buildings in Olympia had roof collapses though. 3.68" of melted snow in a day would be out of this world though, that's definitely not remotely likely.

Yeah, it's hard to say with the way reports used to be. I'm actually looking back through The Oregonian archive right now and one article mentions a 14" total there in town while another the day before mentions close to 30"  depth around Olympia with five feet falling in 24 hours  :lol:  Apparently several buildings in Olympia had roof collapses though. 3.68" of melted snow in a day would be out of this world though, that's definitely not remotely likely.

I dunno, those Olympia numbers were measured by Henry Alciatore. He was the official observer for the Weather Bureau in Olympia and also served as the Bureau director for the state, as Olympia was the capital. He was the guy in charge of putting together the monthly climo reports as well. It's his name as the author of the December 1892 state climatological summary. Seems like a reputable fellow. I don't know about the melted precip number as that could have been screwed up unintentionally, but I trust the 52" monthly snow total. 

I dunno, those Olympia numbers were measured by Henry Alciatore. He was the official observer for the Weather Bureau in Olympia and also served as the Bureau director for the state, as Olympia was the capital. He was the guy in charge of putting together the monthly climo reports as well. It's his name as the author of the December 1892 state climatological summary. Seems like a reputable fellow. I don't know about the melted precip number as that could have been screwed up unintentionally, but I trust the 52" monthly snow total. 

Yeah, the melted precip total at that Priest Point Park station for the 21st-22nd came out to 6.06", all falling with below freezing, which put it up there with the wettest 48 hour totals in that station's history. Definitely screwy. Even Paradise Lodge would be hard-pressed to hit that. The 52" total is definitely more plausible but still a significant outlier. 

It's fun to read through the old articles and try to get an idea of how extreme these things were. The really heavy stuff definitely extended pretty far north, more than I had thought. Seattle P.I. mentioned a 23" total at Tacoma. Olympia's depth was mentioned as being in the 24-30" range at the peak in both the Seattle and Portland papers. I'd wager they saw a bit more than that actually fall. Certainly more than the 14" that was reported in a 12/23/1892 article.

Yeah, the melted precip total at that Priest Point Park station for the 21st-22nd came out to 6.06", all falling with below freezing, which put it up there with the wettest 48 hour totals in that station's history. Definitely screwy. Even Paradise Lodge would be hard-pressed to hit that. The 52" total is definitely more plausible but still a significant outlier. 

It's fun to read through the old articles and try to get an idea of how extreme these things were. The really heavy stuff definitely extended pretty far north, more than I had thought. Seattle P.I. mentioned a 23" total at Tacoma. Olympia's depth was mentioned as being in the 24-30" range at the peak in both the Seattle and Portland papers. I'd wager they saw a bit more than that actually fall. Certainly more than the 14" that was reported in a 12/23/1892 article.

I would believe something in the 30" range for that storm. Agreed about the 6.06" in two days not being likely. I didn't realize they reported that much. 

December 22-24, 1968: The greatest snowstorm in Redding, CA history. 23" fell over three days, including 16" on the 23rd. The snow was associated with a modified Arctic airmass that affected the PNW that week, a "warning shot" before the epic Arctic outbreak at the end of the month.

December 22, 1964: Redding received 7.30" of rain, an all-time record, as part of the incredible West coast storm train that led to the historic flooding in the PNW that week. 

I would believe something in the 30" range for that storm. Agreed about the 6.06" in two days not being likely. I didn't realize they reported that much. 

Yeah, and therein lies the problem with trusting some of the oldest weather data we have, even at usually reliable stations.

I've run into the same thing with trying to corroborate some of downtown Portland's numbers from the early 1870s. Reading the monthly weather reports from 1872-74 and seeing the numbers get totally contradicted in some cases. Makes it tough to reconstruct prolific events when there's so little concrete info to go off of.

Yeah, and therein lies the problem with trusting some of the oldest weather data we have, even at usually reliable stations.

I've run into the same thing with trying to corroborate some of downtown Portland's numbers from the early 1870s. Reading the monthly weather reports from 1872-74 and seeing the numbers get totally contradicted in some cases. Makes it tough to reconstruct prolific events when there's so little concrete info to go off of.

That's interesting. I never looked at those early 1870's snowfall numbers in Portland too closely. They're pretty out there. I always figured the 50" from 1871-72 was legit since that appeared to be a huge winter in Seattle and Eola as well. 

If you go strictly by the official numbers, downtown Portland measured 78.6" between November 1871 and December 1872....14 months. Certainly possible in that era's climate, but I do wonder about measuring techniques/practices in those days. 

I've always wondered about the 15.2" in March 1874 as well. 

That's interesting. I never looked at those early 1870's snowfall numbers in Portland too closely. They're pretty out there. I always figured the 50" from 1871-72 was legit since that appeared to be a huge winter in Seattle and Eola as well. 

If you go strictly by the official numbers, downtown Portland measured 78.6" between November 1871 and December 1872....14 months. Certainly possible in that era's climate, but I do wonder about measuring techniques/practices in those days. 

I've always wondered about the 15.2" in March 1874 as well. 

It's frustrating, I know both the signal service and the Smithsonian Institute had stations in Portland from 1871 to 1873, but the data from one or the other seem like it's all over the place and often contradictory. The Signal Station numbers are the ones that I see in the Monthly Weather Reports reported by The Oregonian and they certainly don't support many of the interesting winter numbers from that time frame (basically only describes 2.8" of snow in 1872-73 as one example).

March 1874's 15.2" of snow that is apparently in the records of the signal service had no news reports to back it up and the monthly weather report doesn't support it at all either. This continues even as late as 1875-76 (28.9" that winter). There's actually very little in the monthly/newspaper data to back up some of the more eye-popping early snow numbers that you see from downtown.

Granted, news reporting at that time was pretty archaic and scattered so even then it's hard to glean much concrete info since hard scientific data was rarely incorporated in any of it. Thank God our observers had collectively gotten some of their sh*t together by the 1890s  :lol:  

• Like 1

It's frustrating, I know both the signal service and the Smithsonian Institute had stations in Portland from 1871 to 1873, but the data from one or the other seem like it's all over the place and often contradictory. The Signal Station numbers are the ones that I see in the Monthly Weather Reports reported by The Oregonian and they certainly don't support many of the interesting winter numbers from that time frame (basically only describes 2.8" of snow in 1872-73 as one example).

March 1874's 15.2" of snow that is apparently in the records of the signal service had no news reports to back it up and the monthly weather report doesn't support it at all either. This continues even as late as 1875-76 (28.9" that winter). There's actually very little in the monthly/newspaper data to back up some of the more eye-popping early snow numbers that you see from downtown.

Granted, news reporting at that time was pretty archaic and scattered so even then it's hard to glean much concrete info since hard scientific data was rarely incorporated in any of it. Thank God our observers had collectively gotten some of their sh*t together by the 1890s  :lol:  

Eola does show an 8" snowfall on March 3, 1874. Plenty of cool weather as well. 2pm readings were 38 & 40 on the 1st-2nd, followed by 39 on both the 7th and 8th. 

52.0" was the monthly total for December 1892, as reported by the Weather Bureau.

Totally insane...especially considering what came later.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

12-22-

This is the date the festivities officially began in the winter of 1861-62 when 5 inches of snow fall at Fort Steilacom.  In many locations snow would remain on the ground constantly well into February and in some cases into early March!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

This was the date of the largest snow even of December 2008 in Marion County. We picked up 6-8" in the Silverton area. Silver Falls recorded 10". 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

12-23-1983

Massive east wind storm began to ramp up west of the Cascades. PDX reached 36g48 by 10:00 PM, with a temperature of 14 and a dp of -5. By 6:00 AM on the 24th, the wind had reached 39g52 along with a temperature of 16. 

90 mph gusts swept through the Bull Run watershed, leveling half a billion board feet of timber. This was one of the largest windthrow events of the 20th century on the west side of Mt. Hood. 

The Arctic outbreak was nearing its peak with a phenomenally large spread of extremely cold temperatures. All-time record lows were set from coast to coast, including 3 in Raymond on the 22nd and 7 in Grayland on the 23rd. Seattle's Jackson Park station hit 2 on the 22nd (all-time record for 1961-1986 POR) while Olympia hit -7 on the 23rd, which was within 1 degree of the all-time record. Glenwood, WA (POR 1979-) hit an all-time record of -27 on the 23rd; in eastern Oregon, Mitchell set an all-time record with -27 on the 24th while Seneca hit -48 on the 23rd, a monthly record. Stanley, Idaho hit -54 on the 23rd, an all-time record for the station and the Idaho state record low for the month of December. Wisdom hit -55 on the 23rd, its all-time record, while Havre hit -50 on the 24th, tying its December record from way back in 1884. In Wyoming, all-time records included -50 in Big Piney on the 23rd and -48 at Burgess Junction on the 24th. Williston, ND hit -50 on the 23rd, tying its all-time record from February 1936 while North Platte, NE hit -34 on the 22nd, just missing the all-time record of -35 set in the great cold waves of January 1888 and February 1899. Dallas, TX reeled off 11 consecutive days with sub-freezing maximums; no other streak in the city's history exceeded 7 days. Brownsville, TX was 30/20 on Christmas Day, the maximum missed the all-time record by 1 degree. Date palms were killed in the lower Rio Grande Valley; following this and the December 1989 cold wave (when Brownsville hit 16) many were never replanted. Brunswick, on the coast of Georgia, hit 12 on Christmas Day; this reading is second only to 6 degrees in January 1985 (POR 1948-). A reading of 9 in Lake City, FL on the 26th threatened the two greatest cold waves in SE US history, when readings in Lake City hit 6 on 2/13/1899 and 7 on 1/21/1985; likewise Orlando, FL missed their all-time record by 2 degrees, hitting 20 on the 26th. 

• Like 1

Eola does show an 8" snowfall on March 3, 1874. Plenty of cool weather as well. 2pm readings were 38 & 40 on the 1st-2nd, followed by 39 on both the 7th and 8th. 

The Oregonian reported a low of 33 in downtown Portland that month on the 18th, on a sunny day with no precip. The early part of the month did have wet snow, but no mention of significant accumulations.

March 1870 on the other hand sounded pretty awesome around here. Looks like 9-10" mid-month around Portland. Major storm and airmass.

12-23-1983

Massive east wind storm began to ramp up west of the Cascades. PDX reached 36g48 by 10:00 PM, with a temperature of 14 and a dp of -5. By 6:00 AM on the 24th, the wind had reached 39g52 along with a temperature of 16. 

90 mph gusts swept through the Bull Run watershed, leveling half a billion board feet of timber. This was one of the largest windthrow events of the 20th century on the west side of Mt. Hood. 

The Arctic outbreak was nearing its peak with a phenomenally large spread of extremely cold temperatures. All-time record lows were set from coast to coast, including 3 in Raymond on the 22nd and 7 in Grayland on the 23rd. Seattle's Jackson Park station hit 2 on the 22nd (all-time record for 1961-1986 POR) while Olympia hit -7 on the 23rd, which was within 1 degree of the all-time record. Glenwood, WA (POR 1979-) hit an all-time record of -27 on the 23rd; in eastern Oregon, Mitchell set an all-time record with -27 on the 24th while Seneca hit -48 on the 23rd, a monthly record. Stanley, Idaho hit -54 on the 23rd, an all-time record for the station and the Idaho state record low for the month of December. Wisdom hit -55 on the 23rd, its all-time record, while Havre hit -50 on the 24th, tying its December record from way back in 1884. In Wyoming, all-time records included -50 in Big Piney on the 23rd and -48 at Burgess Junction on the 24th. Williston, ND hit -50 on the 23rd, tying its all-time record from February 1936 while North Platte, NE hit -34 on the 22nd, just missing the all-time record of -35 set in the great cold waves of January 1888 and February 1899. Dallas, TX reeled off 11 consecutive days with sub-freezing maximums; no other streak in the city's history exceeded 7 days. Brownsville, TX was 30/20 on Christmas Day, the maximum missed the all-time record by 1 degree. Date palms were killed in the lower Rio Grande Valley; following this and the December 1989 cold wave (when Brownsville hit 16) many were never replanted. Brunswick, on the coast of Georgia, hit 12 on Christmas Day; this reading is second only to 6 degrees in January 1985 (POR 1948-). A reading of 9 in Lake City, FL on the 26th threatened the two greatest cold waves in SE US history, when readings in Lake City hit 6 on 2/13/1899 and 7 on 1/21/1985; likewise Orlando, FL missed their all-time record by 2 degrees, hitting 20 on the 26th. 

Yeah 1983 was a really stunning event. I can imagine the media hype if something like that happened now. At the time the country was coming off a remarkable series of cold outbreaks from 1977-1982, so it didn't jump out quite as much.

The Oregonian reported a low of 33 in downtown Portland that month on the 18th, on a sunny day with no precip. The early part of the month did have wet snow, but no mention of significant accumulations.

March 1870 on the other hand sounded pretty awesome around here. Looks like 9-10" mid-month around Portland. Major storm and airmass.

That's a head-scratcher. 

Yeah 1983 was a really stunning event. I can imagine the media hype if something like that happened now. At the time the country was coming off a remarkable series of cold outbreaks from 1977-1982, so it didn't jump out quite as much.

January 1977 to February 1996 was quite the stretch east of the Rockies. 

Major Arctic outbreak overspread the Pacific Northwest. Eola, near Salem, crashed from 34 at 2:00 PM on the 24th to 17 by 2:00 PM on the 25th. The mercury continued dropping, reaching 11 by 9:00 PM and 7 degrees above zero by 7:00 AM on the 26th. On the 26th and 27th, 0.90" of liquid-equivalent precipitation fell with temperatures between 7 and 20 degrees. 

Dec 24-25, 1982 brought the Front Range's whitest Christmas on record. 2-3' fell across the region, with the 23.8" at the airport marking the fourth largest Denver snowstorm on record. It was a travel nightmare for many, as the airport was shutdown for almost 2 days, stranding thousands over the holiday.

A forum for the end of the world.

Christmas Day - 

1852 - On this day the Puget Sound region had it's coldest and perhaps deepest snow cover Christmas since this region was settled.  The Fort Steilacom records indicate an 18/0 temperature spread with 13 inches of snow on the ground.  I would have to rank this number one due to the fact it was also sunny on that day.

Other white Christmas's off the top of my head include:

1871 - Very white

1884 - Very white

1892 - Rapidly melting leftovers from an earlier storm

I know there are several others.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Also, Fort Logan in Montana was -53 on Christmas Day in 1871. To give perspective on the airmass that crashed the Willamette Valley on that day.

Dec 1871 was epic.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Christmas Day - 

1852 - On this day the Puget Sound region had it's coldest and perhaps deepest snow cover Christmas since this region was settled.  The Fort Steilacom records indicate an 18/0 temperature spread with 13 inches of snow on the ground.  I would have to rank this number one due to the fact it was also sunny on that day.

Other white Christmas's off the top of my head include:

1871 - Very white

1884 - Very white

1892 - Rapidly melting leftovers from an earlier storm

I know there are several others.

1996 for North Puget Sound; Skagit, Whatcom, maybe Whidbey, etc  Probably lower mainland BC too.  Main event for the rest of Western WA occurred after Christmas, but up North we already had a white Christmas

• Like 1

Since I moved here in 1989 I have had 1 White Christmas. 2008. One to remember for sure.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope