PNW January 2023 Observations and Discussion

Requiem

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Either that or he was framed. That’s almost too perfect of a mistake.

Though based on what I’ve read the evidence is stacked against him.

Can you imagine your response if you knew you were innocent and were framed for a horrific mass murder?   This guy has been completely calm since his arrest.   Even smiling in court yesterday.    I would imagine you or I would be frantic and screaming that we are innocent.    This appears to be a game to him.   He is detached from reality.  

• Like 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

I find it believable. Commit a crime of that magnitude and you will worry a lot about getting caught. Worry a lot and you will make stupid mistakes that make it easier to get caught.

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Can you imagine your response if you knew you were innocent and were framed for a horrific mass murder?   This guy has been completely calm since his arrest.   Even smiling in court yesterday.    I would imagine you or I would be frantic and screaming that we are innocent.    This appears to be a game to him.   He is detached from reality.  

Eyes above ears, something to fear.

• lol 2

4 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

I find it believable. Commit a crime of that magnitude and you will worry a lot about getting caught. Worry a lot and you will make stupid mistakes that make it easier to get caught.

I suspect that sheath is why he was back in that neighborhood at 9 a.m. the next morning... but guessing he decided it was too risky to go back into the house in broad daylight.    He was also probably shocked that the place was not swarming with cops at that time given one of the roommate saw him at 4 a.m.   

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

4 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

It explains why he went back to the scene later. Probably realized he had dropped it and tried to find it somewhere. But they have to have something bigger we don’t know about yet that connected him to the case. 

• Like 3

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

1 minute ago, MossMan said:

Mild sunny morning. You can always count on January to have days that feel like a nice late April type morning. 

Some sun here after a little rain overnight.   Feels springy... I heard birds singing this morning.

• Like 1
  • Spam 1

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

I suspect that sheath is why he was back in that neighborhood at 9 a.m. the next morning... but guessing he decided it was too risky to go back into the house in broad daylight.    He was also probably shocked that the place was not swarming with cops at that time given one of the roommates saw him at 4 a.m.   

The roommate seeing him and not calling 911 is the most bizarre part of this whole thing to me. Or him not killing them. That part of this doesn’t even make sense. 

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Some sun here after a little rain overnight.   Feels springy... I heard birds singing this morning.

No rain here, just wind all night. Finally calmed down at daybreak. Yeah definitely feels like spring this morning. This keeps up and things are going to start popping out of the ground and my grass will start to green up a little more. Just in time for the big February show! 

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

3 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

The roommate seeing him and not calling 911 is the most bizarre part of this whole thing to me. Or him not killing them. That part of this doesn’t even make sense. 

That is strange... but then you have to assume it was not unusual for people to be wandering around that house at night being that it was a party house.   At the time she probably never imagined her roommates were being murdered.    She might have been drunk or high and didn't want to deal with the police.  Of course in hindsight it now seems obvious and she will have to live with that for the rest of her life.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MossMan said:

No rain here, just wind all night. Finally calmed down at daybreak. Yeah definitely feels like spring this morning. This keeps up and things are going to start popping out of the ground and my grass will start to green up a little more. Just in time for the big February show! 

I have come to expect the grass turning green and the first signs of spring in January... only to buried in snow again in February.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MossMan said:

The grass still looks pretty awful here because it never had time to green up before it got too cold to grow. If the lawns look decent by the end of this month, that will definitely be an upside to the torching.

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

1 minute ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

The grass still looks pretty awful here because it never had time to green up before it got too cold to grow. If the lawns look decent by the end of this month, that will definitely be an upside to the torching.

Same here.   The rain in late October was too late to spur new growth so we went into the cold season with the grass already dormant.   I have never seen that happen before.    I was thinking yesterday that we might finally start seeing signs of life soon.   

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Get the feeling there will be a decent event next month. Probably not on the level of February 2019…but I could see something like February 2018 possibly. My guess is not arctic but decently chilly with some snow. 

Yes please!! Big snow on the 18th, then multiple smaller snows through the end of the month with several sub freezing highs. Had snow on the ground until the first part of March. 

A14A86BB-F470-4546-A30A-7217F7DC4B0C.jpeg

F1A91CC6-FB0E-41AC-99D8-A6A802298025.jpeg

D8415CFE-D8E0-4C87-AE5B-9269A9FF512E.jpeg

9BB8F7E1-73EB-4378-9105-5C6B51A2A363.jpeg

• Like 7

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

5 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Same here.   The rain in late October was too late to spur new growth so we went into the cold season with the grass already dormant.   I have never seen that happen before.    I was thinking yesterday that we might finally start seeing signs of life soon.   

For many years prior to this last fall I was mowing until the first part of December. But the mowing abruptly stopped at the end of October this season! The cold hit while we were still powerless from the big windstorm the first part of November. 

4383FBD9-08A7-4B26-8DC1-2C5CEC73F901.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Yes please!! Big snow on the 18th, then multiple smaller snows through the end of the month with several sub freezing highs. Had snow on the ground until the first part of March. 

A14A86BB-F470-4546-A30A-7217F7DC4B0C.jpeg

F1A91CC6-FB0E-41AC-99D8-A6A802298025.jpeg

D8415CFE-D8E0-4C87-AE5B-9269A9FF512E.jpeg

9BB8F7E1-73EB-4378-9105-5C6B51A2A363.jpeg

It was pretty solid here…No sub freezing highs but 5 or 6 consecutive highs in the low to mid 30s. Had about 3” of snow that week over 3 separate events…but it snowed every day that week. Slight killer for that event was it happened in the latter half of February. If we had something similar to that one in the first half it could end up slightly better. That’s kind of what I’m thinking we see if something happens down the road but who knows we could go the 2011 or 2019 route. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

It explains why he went back to the scene later. Probably realized he had dropped it and tried to find it somewhere. But they have to have something bigger we don’t know about yet that connected him to the case. 

Wasn't the footage of the car the initial thing that connected him to the case? It sounds like they were looking at white Elantras all over Pullman/Moscow. They found his and looked back and saw that he had been pulled over a few months earlier and given his cell number to police. They then found that his cell phone had been pinged at the murder scene a number of different times and went from there.

Edited by BLI snowman
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, Phil said:

egotistical sociopath like him may have left it as a 'calling card'. serial killers do that.  probably forgot in the moment that he touched it with his bare hands when he bought it, or tried to clean ahead of the murders and missed the snap.  they apparently only found one print on it.

or he dropped it in the rage/chaos of that round of killing and couldn't find it in the dark and left it due to time.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

the eyewitness account is pretty compelling, she described him vividly.  also they found a latent footprint from a Vans shoe.  I'm assuming they may have found Vans at his apartment or in his car or garbage and tested that for DNA as well

14 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Wasn't the footage of the car the initial thing that connected him to the case? It sounds like they were looking at white Elantras all over Pullman/Moscow. They found his and looked back and saw that he had been pulled over a few months earlier and given his cell number to police. They then found that his cell phone had been pinged at the murder scene a number of different times and went from there.

he also changed the the cars registration/plates from PA to WA like 5 days after the crime.  not #1 on the list of evidence but a diversion tactic indeed.  may have even planned the crime around the time his plates from PA were expiring so it would not look like any big deal that he renewed the registration in WA instead of PA

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

he also changed the the cars registration/plates from PA to WA like 5 days after the crime.  not #1 on the list of evidence but a diversion tactic indeed.  may have even planned the crime around the time his plates from PA were expiring so it would not look like any big deal that he renewed the registration in WA instead of PA

Yeah, that stood out to me as well. Probably thought he was being really clever.

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

I suspect that sheath is why he was back in that neighborhood at 9 a.m. the next morning... but guessing he decided it was too risky to go back into the house in broad daylight.    He was also probably shocked that the place was not swarming with cops at that time given one of the roommate saw him at 4 a.m.   

That's the part of the affidavit I found most interesting. Huge change from the information available previously, which was that the other 2 roommates were both on the bottom floor and slept through the whole thing.

Instead, we find out 1 of them was on the second floor where two of the victims were killed, heard some of it going on, and then actually saw the killer walk past them. But then no one called the police until after 11 am the next day? Very strange.

A forum for the end of the world.

4 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Yeah, that stood out to me as well. Probably thought he was being really clever.

He is not very clever when he leaves his apartment at 2:30 a.m. and takes his phone with him (and is seen on multiple WSU traffic cameras at that time)... and then turns his phone off for 2 hours covering the time of the murders... and then turns it back on for some reason as he makes a ridiculous trip down through Lewiston and back up to Pullman between 4:30-5:30 a.m.

A PhD student in criminology should know to leave his phone at home and turned on so it appears like he never left.   🙄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

It explains why he went back to the scene later. Probably realized he had dropped it and tried to find it somewhere. But they have to have something bigger we don’t know about yet that connected him to the case

We haven't heard anything on motive yet. But there have been hints that he had some sort of connection to one of the victims, and had visited the house more than a few times prior.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Front Ranger said:

That's the part of the affidavit I found most interesting. Huge change from the information available previously, which was that the other 2 roommates were both on the bottom floor and slept through the whole thing.

Instead, we find out 1 of them was on the second floor where two of the victims were killed, heard some of it going on, and then actually saw the killer walk past them. But then no one called the police until after 11 am the next day? Very strange.

Again... consider that person's perspective at 4 a.m. that morning.   She never imagined her roommates were being killed.  This was a party house.  She might have thought it was one of her roommates hooking up and the guy looked really creepy so better lock her door.   She didn't know a mass murder had just been committed.   Its only in hindsight that it becomes so sinister and evil.   

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

He is not very clever when he leaves his apartment at 2:30 a.m. and takes his phone with him (and is seen on multiple WSU traffic cameras at that time)... and then turns his phone off for 2 hours covering the time of the murders... and then turns it back on for some reason as he makes a ridiculous trip down through Lewiston and back up to Pullman between 4:30-5:30 a.m.

A PhD student in criminology should know to leave his phone at home and turned on so it appears like he never left.   🙄

Wondering if that was where he disposed of the weapon and/or clothing he might have had on.

4 minutes ago, WeatherGeek2022 said:

catching up and when did this place turn into a reddit comment section?

We definitely need to create a separate topic.  

8 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Again... consider that person's perspective at 4 a.m. that morning.   She never imagined her roommates were being killed.  This was a party house.  She might have thought it was one of her roommates hooking up and the guy looked really creepy so better lock her door.   She didn't know a mass murder had just been committed.   Its only in hindsight that it becomes so sinister and evil.   

True. I'm sure they misled the public with their statements about the other roommates "sleeping through" the whole thing so the guy would think there was no witness.