PNW January 2023 Observations and Discussion

Requiem

3 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Hard to know why things aren’t even showing up on the radar but it has been raining moderately here since 7pm tonight. Seems localized for just this location, thought something would actually show up on radar. Just weird. 

Hard for it show up on radar when the radar has been down since Monday and will be down through Friday.   

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Hard for it show up on radar when the radar has been down since Monday and will be down through Friday.   

You know what? I just checked RadarScope and it showed KATX is down. Makes sense! I haven’t gotten a chance to do any weather stuff. Definitely thought it was odd 🤣

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cloud said:

You know what? I just checked RadarScope and it showed KATX is down. Makes sense! I haven’t gotten a chance to do any weather stuff. Definitely thought it was odd 🤣

SEA NWS announced last weekend that it would be down through the 20th for a "major upgrade".

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just now, TT-SEA said:

SEA NWS announced last weekend that it would be down through the 20th for a "major upgrade".

Let’s hope the upgrade is worth it! I’ll be out of the country tomorrow night so hopefully we can score something nice while I’m gone. Or wait until I come back 2nd week of Feb. 😆

1 hour ago, MossMan said:

Don’t you all have at least four thousand pictures of snow on your phone?

967D010A-4573-4582-BACB-A250E5131E81.jpeg

Only 3,300 on my end going back to 2015 (although most of those are from the mountains).

• Like 2

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

15 minutes ago, Kolk1604 said:

Wow Rob is back model ridding so something must be happening. 

The weather has been boring so I haven't really been following 

I was going to say that probably means this is getting serious.

• Like 1
  • Excited 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

8 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

It's been confusing to me.  They talk about an upgrade, but when you read about it, all they are doing is replacing the power components so that it is less likely to go out of service.  Yes, that's very important, but when it is back online, it will be the same radar as before.  So not an upgrade in performance, more of an upgrade in reliability.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Snownerd3000 said:

That is really exciting.  Interestingly 1982 was the last decent January we had before our January problem began.  We have had some decent ones since, but they have been scattered to say the least.

If we are able to tap into that cold going forward things could get pretty wild.

• Shivering 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

That is really exciting.  Interestingly 1982 was the last decent January we had before our January problem began.  We have had some decent ones since, but they have been scattered to say the least.

If we are able to tap into that cold going forward things could get pretty wild.

So how would it work to not only have this already extraordinary cold air, but then have a SSW event in addition?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

45/38 today so far.  At least it's starting to feel like January again.  Should be a number of frosty nights coming up.  Remarkably the GFS only has 0.3" of precip for SEA over the next 10 days.

42 and 38 here today. 

Work has been so busy I haven't had the energy to follow much but I've been watching the model runs, mainly the ensembles. Excitement is building but it's looking like about 3 weeks to go still. But it's coming .

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Some seriously cold ensemble members on this run.  Getting kind of interesting now!

• Like 2
  • Excited 1
  • Shivering 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

So how would it work to not only have this already extraordinary cold air, but then have a SSW event in addition?

Could be incredible.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

5 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

It's been confusing to me.  They talk about an upgrade, but when you read about it, all they are doing is replacing the power components so that it is less likely to go out of service.  Yes, that's very important, but when it is back online, it will be the same radar as before.  So not an upgrade in performance, more of an upgrade in reliability.

At least it will go down less in the future? I hate it when the radar is down.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lowlandsnow said:

It looks like that cold air going to come south and effect the Korean Peninsula and Japan

1674540000-GZL7vBWoNxw.png 

I remember tracking something like this a few years back with the anomalous cold in Asia for weeks that eventually made its way to us as well in Feb. 2019 I think? Repeat? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

true statement, in fact it's generally garbage

The end was great.  I think there was a mistake in the evolution that made it take longer to get to the good stuff than what the ensembles have showing.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9