PNW January 2023 Observations and Discussion

Requiem

2 minutes ago, WeatherGeek2022 said:

Always next winter 🤷‍♂️

I think our luck has run out for the next few seasons. Been a heck of a good stretch though! 

• Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Just now, MossMan said:

I think our luck has run out for the next few seasons. Been a heck of a good stretch though! 

Frankly, this one exceeded my expectations. I was not expecting to get so much snow in back-to-back winters.

I’m pretty sure I’m in for a winter or two that never has more than an inch or two on the ground at any one time. Going to be quite the letdown after the recent run of good ones.

• Like 3
It's called clown range for a reason.

I’m really not that surprised this is turning out to be a dry blast because I feel like it’s been a while since one. It sucks for the Portland folks though because when they finally get a decent arctic blast it comes with little to no snow. 

• Sad 2
  • Sun 1

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 48

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

1 hour ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Didn’t the Puget Sound area see some decent snow events in Late November and December? 

We did! Many are still upset tho…we had a high of 25 here and 6” of snow so far this winter. I’d understand being upset if none of that had happened prior to this but c’mon we had a good run earlier. 

• Like 3
  • Sick 1

11 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Drizzle fest has ended... now sunny out here. 

20230125_113244.jpg

Not here just yet. Though the moderate drizzle has become more of a light drizzle! 

7EAD3E96-4FCB-4087-9E92-64D18279277E.jpeg

• Rain 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

1 hour ago, Skagit Weather said:

The northwest has such a weird winter temp profile, especially with the continued dominance of February in recent years. This map shows the average coldest day for stations across the US (1991-2020). Much of the area is coldest at the end of December except for widespread pockets of stations (especially near the coast) that are coldest in the beginning to middle of February.

1245091362_ScreenShot2023-01-25at10_39_19AM.thumb.png.b751ed3c0e72fd8c437c44ec102a7e1d.png

1002774657_ScreenShot2023-01-25at10_39_31AM.thumb.png.f6049976106168893a26686027583406.png

Yeah I’m still not 100% sure why things work this way. Probably has something to do with seasonal lag in arctic cooling (bottoms out late febryary/early march) and seasonality in wavelengths.

h/t to Brian B.

B7B1233D-719C-4462-A6DA-289019C11F42.jpeg 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

We did! Many are still upset tho…we had a high of 25 here and 6” of snow so far this winter. I’d understand being upset if none of that had happened prior to this but c’mon we had a good run earlier. 

Not enough. Was hoping for a major grand finale! 

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

What’s it like to be the only voice of reason up there 😂

• Like 5
  • lol 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Troll 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yeah I’m still not 100% sure why things work this way. Probably has something to do with seasonal lag in arctic cooling (bottoms out late febryary/early march) and seasonality in wavelengths.

h/t to Brian B.

Sometimes we get deep troughs in late Winter and Spring, that usually hit the coast harder. It's close to the time of year hail becomes more the most common.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

As a general rule, the further north the better.

Seattle tends to get more snow than Portland, Shoreline more than Seattle, Paine Field more than Shoreline, Bellingham more than Everett, Vancouver more than Bellingham.

Also, from Whatcom County northwards is it a lot easier to score subfreezing weather in arctic outflow. Though sometimes that works out as being left high and dry and cold while points south get the snow.

Further east trumps everything. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Deweydog said:

Yeah, it’s just been a rough few weeks for the ol’ spinner and getting rougher. Bruised and battered but still alive.

Yep, it’s just going to sit there and rot away with the W1 structure present. 1989 was did it much quicker with a huge swing from record +U to record -U at 10mb.

2023 is timed similarity, but it’s a weak sauce version of it. And the good cold is still over in Asia.

BA7E8456-AAD1-4CE6-B3FD-BDD4B42847F0.jpegB4122871-66BD-465E-B361-519550714F35.jpeg

2 hours ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

If Mossman can’t have snow, nobody can😂

Lol I think I’m turning into mossman. Following in his footsteps, I’ve been browsing over all my past weather pics/videos back to 2013, looking for a snow fix and a hit of sweet nostalgia.

2 hours ago, Deweydog said:

You guys are completely screwed up there.

Welcome to the club. 🍻 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yep, it’s just going to sit there and rot away with the W1 structure present. 1989 was did it much quicker with a huge swing from record +U to record -U at 10mb.

2023 is timed similarity, but it’s a weak sauce version of it. And the good cold is still over in Asia.

BA7E8456-AAD1-4CE6-B3FD-BDD4B42847F0.jpegB4122871-66BD-465E-B361-519550714F35.jpeg

Lol I think I’m turning into mossman. Following in his footsteps, I’ve been browsing over all my past weather pics/videos back to 2013, looking for a snow fix and a hit of sweet nostalgia.

Welcome to the club. 🍻 

How many pics do you have between the 2012/13-2022/23 seasons? I am at 4,116. Funny that my phone thinks my plow attachment for my mower is a “snowmobile” though technically it’s not wrong…

1ECBF016-70D6-4A4E-AB52-6F9F9B28915A.jpeg

6660EF10-3F6B-4FC3-B1B2-FAF78111CDAC.jpeg

• lol 1
  • scream 2

24 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Not enough. Was hoping for a major grand finale! 

Still time for something later on in February…but I’m not too bullish on that yet. I get the disappointment no matter how much you get in a winter it sucks to miss out especially in this climate where it’s hard to get snow in the first place. I’m just glad that this won’t be a complete dud of a winter as it stands now. We’ve had an amazing run since 2016-2017 this winter was no exception. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

The cold was legit. But that 6" was like 6 days of .5" each that melted in 12 hours and 1" going into the cold. Not exactly a real snowy picture for most of the Sound. Obviously better than .25" and ice, but I don't think anyone is contesting that.

• Like 2

2022-23 Winter:

11/29: .25" + 1" = 1.25" | 11/30: .25"

12/2: .2" + .5" = .7" | 12/3: .2" | 12/4: trace

12/18: .4" | 12/19: .2" + .8" = 1.0" | 12/20: .2 + 1.5" = 1.7

1/31: trace | 2/14: trace | 2/22: .2 | 2/26: 1.0"

Total: 6.7"

Can't be this difficult to get a bit of snow-- at least the Arctic front still has a distinct snow signature. 

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

4 minutes ago, Seattle said:

The cold was legit. But that 6" was like 6 days of .5" each that melted in 12 hours and 1" going into the cold. Not exactly a real snowy picture for most of the Sound. Obviously better than .25" and ice, but I don't think anyone is contesting that.

True…we did never get more than 2” snow depth at one time. But it was pretty decent still and far from a bust. 

40 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

I’m not that bummed this is turning into a dry blast especially since I’m already at 14” of snow for the winter with a 23/11 day as well so it’s definitely been a good one IMBY. Can’t complain if I don’t get snow out of this. At least there’s the cold temperatures to look forward to if you are into that.

• Like 1

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 48

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

26 minutes ago, SnowWillarrive said:

Further east trumps everything. 

Very true. There are inland and mountain climates well to the south of us and within the western US that clobber even Pretentius Knowitallus’s backyard.

Edited by Cascadia_Wx
  • Like 1
  • lol 2
  • Popcorn 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

45 minutes ago, Phil said:

h/t to Brian B.

Upper Michigan and Buffalo are pretty interesting. I guess the Great Lakes have a seasonal lag with the temps but they still get blasted by snow yearly. 

𝘐𝘯 𝘮𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮𝘴,

𝘐 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘰𝘸𝘯.

𝘗𝘶𝘺𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘶𝘱.

Reddit: HotlineMaestro

3 minutes ago, HuskyMaestro said:

Upper Michigan and Buffalo are pretty interesting. I guess the Great Lakes have a seasonal lag with the temps but they still get blasted by snow yearly. 

its more about when the lakes come close to freezing over (in years they do).  the moderating effects of the lake diminish with the more the ice cover becomes

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I always think it’s fun to imagine how your handle is pronounced 

Some day when we all put on chains and trudge through the snow to meet at a bar, and Frosty buys us the first round, (I think it was him who said he'd do that?) I'd love to hear your attempts.

• Like 2
  • scream 1

22 minutes ago, Bueryan said:

I know this is a weather forum and so I keep my mouth shut, but snow maps at 250hrs+ are for people who go to strip clubs with hope. 

Hope only works on Saturday’s at the club 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • lol 2
  • scream 1

11 minutes ago, Bueryan said:

Some day when we all put on chains and trudge through the snow to meet at a bar, and Frosty buys us the first round, (I think it was him who said he'd do that?) I'd love to hear your attempts.

First round is on me. No matter if we get 5 ppl or 50 ppl 

• Like 7
  • scream 1