PNW January 2023 Observations and Discussion

Requiem

12 minutes ago, NWbyNW said:

Good or bad depending on your viewpoint.

Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 3.16.41 PM.png

PDX picked up another degree on their average high today. 35 to go and less than six months to get there. It’ll be interesting to see how that plays out.

• Like 3

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

14 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Neither “side” will ever nerd out quite right according to the other.

I’d be up for meeting at a centralized location (Centralia?) for an end-all-be-all badminton tourney to settle the score. Just will need to wait for February snows to break.  

Could get VIOLENT..

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • lol 3

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

9 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Neither “side” will ever nerd out quite right according to the other.

I’d be up for meeting at a centralized location (Centralia?) for an end-all-be-all badminton tourney to settle the score. Just will need to wait for February snows to break.  

Hmm, we should do the nude prelim round in late February during the big blast and then do the championship round in ski suits in late June during our 2021 repeat. 

• Excited 1
  • Shivering 1

14 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Hmm, we should do the nude prelim round in late February during the big blast and then do the championship round in ski suits in late June during our 2021 repeat. 

Tim says if the wind is calm and the February sun is out, temps in mid 20’s can be quite oppressive.

• Like 2
  • lol 1
  • Sun 1

3 hours ago, MossMan said:

How many pics do you have between the 2012/13-2022/23 seasons? I am at 4,116. Funny that my phone thinks my plow attachment for my mower is a “snowmobile” though technically it’s not wrong…

1ECBF016-70D6-4A4E-AB52-6F9F9B28915A.jpeg

6660EF10-3F6B-4FC3-B1B2-FAF78111CDAC.jpeg

Lol, we’re close. I don’t have my stuff organized like you do but roughly half of the videos are weather stuff. And at least 4,000 of the 21,000 photos are weather stuff too. :lol: 

A8300310-3178-4F9F-B277-F2F6D39A1013.jpegB5633F06-6F8D-419C-9052-99BFE0990155.jpeg

• Excited 2

I do believe you Puget Sounder folks have seen accumulating snow 2 to 6 times already? Yes? You've had a pretty decent Wintry season.

You can't always hog ALL the fun. Right? Right. Sharing is caring after all.... haha. Nah. If I had 30" of snow and you only had 2" I would be greedy as (insert favorite expletive here) and want more!

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

3 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Tim says if the wind is calm and the February sun is out, temps in mid 20’s can be quite oppressive.

February tourney can be at Tim's house. Should be deep snow, gobs of warm front drizzle, calamitous marine pushing, and some oppressive 25 degree sunshine.

For the ski suit challenge I was thinking we should hold it on the blazing Dallesport runway.

• Like 3
  • Excited 1

8 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:

I do believe you Puget Sounder folks have seen accumulating snow 2 to 6 times already? Yes? You've had a pretty decent Wintry season.

You can't always hog ALL the fun. Right? Right. Sharing is caring after all.... haha. Nah. If I had 30" of snow and you only had 2" I would be greedy as (insert favorite expletive here) and want more!

This is about as good as it got IMBY but we got something like that several times. So no complaints, can’t expect snowmageddon every winter. I’m hoping for more but if you guys are the winners this time around I’ll be happy for you. 

04B02905-96F0-49ED-A22D-D78C0FCC08EA.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Snow 1

1 minute ago, T-Town said:

This is about as good as it got IMBY but we got something like that several times. So no complaints, can’t expect snowmageddon every winter. I’m hoping for more but if you guys are the winners this time around I’ll be happy for you. 

04B02905-96F0-49ED-A22D-D78C0FCC08EA.jpeg

That looked like a nice snow event!

00z ECMWF in 5 hours 25 minutes

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Phil said:

Lol, we’re close. I don’t have my stuff organized like you do but roughly half of the videos are weather stuff. And at least 4,000 of the 21,000 photos are weather stuff too. :lol: 

A8300310-3178-4F9F-B277-F2F6D39A1013.jpegB5633F06-6F8D-419C-9052-99BFE0990155.jpeg

I doubt Randy actually organizes his photos. You can just text search in your photos and your iphone will recognize whatever you are looking for in your pics...not perfect obviously but pretty useful. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:

And with the possible exception of @MR.SNOWMIZER up near Green Mountain I don't think anyone in the Puget Sound area has received 30" or anything near to it. I've done really well so far this season and I'm standing at a hair above 20".

• Like 1
  • Snow 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

20 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

February tourney can be at Tim's house. Should be deep snow, gobs of warm front drizzle, calamitous marine pushing, and some oppressive 25 degree sunshine.

For the ski suit challenge I was thinking we should hold it on the blazing Dallesport runway.

Can’t help but wonder if this was sensor related.☹️

https://www.google.com/amp/s/katu.com/amp/news/local/pilot-hurt-in-airplane-crash-at-dallesport-airport

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

And with the possible exception of @MR.SNOWMIZER up near Green Mountain I don't think anyone in the Puget Sound area has received 30" or anything near to it. I've done really well so far this season and I'm standing at a hair above 20".

Oh, yeah no I know no one has had 30", that was just an example n stuff. I should have clarified that a bit more.

00z NAM in 58 minutes
(Who's staying up?) (c)Rob 2022

4 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

I bet I get 10 times what that shows.

SEA might get 100 times what is shown.  

Let me check the math... 100 X 0.00 = 0.00

• Excited 1
  • lol 2
  • Sad 1
  • Facepalm 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, T-Town said:

That’s the first. The fourth wasn’t as impressive here, although that’s the snow that got me out of a trip to the inlaws in Seattle so I might argue the fourth was better. 

The event really peaked on that day. We picked up 1” during the evening of the 30th and 1” on the morning of the 1st. Then the snow held on really well all day. 34/25 temp spread on December 1st. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Ludicrous has done pretty well at least. 

• Popcorn 1