PNW January 2023 Observations and Discussion

Requiem

38F and pleasant. Smoking on the porch under a cloudy inversion.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

You know it’s been a loser winter when a 20 second snow flurry grabs your attention. Haha.

Literally the 3rd best snow “event” so far this winter here. :lol: I’ve got maybe 0.1” total from all 3 snow showers combined.

Only other winters that were *this* bad (to date) in my lifetime are 1997/98, 2006/07, and 2012/13. Even 2011/12 had multiple accumulating snowfalls by now.

Both 2006/07 and 2012/13 got better in Feb/Mar. 1997/98 was a suckfest all the way through, finished with < 1”. Hope to not repeat that.

• Sad 3
  • Snow 2

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

You know it’s been a loser winter when a 20 second snow flurry grabs your attention. Haha.

Literally the 3rd best snow “event” so far this winter here. :lol: I’ve got maybe 0.1” total from all 3 snow showers combined.

Only other winters that were *this* bad (to date) in my lifetime are 1997/98, 2006/07, and 2012/13. Even 2011/12 had multiple accumulating snowfalls by now.

Both 2006/07 and 2012/13 got better in Feb/Mar. 1997/98 was a suckfest all the way through, finished with < 1”. Hope to not repeat that.

Not much here either. Maybe 0.2" of snow total and then some sleet and ice. What parts of the country have been doing well this winter for snow? The Dakotas and Minnesota?

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

I used to just generally assume everywhere north of Virginia got tons of snow every winter…but there’s been several years where I’ve had more snow than you or other east coast cities. 

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

2 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

I used to just generally assume everywhere north of Virginia got tons of snow every winter…but there’s been several years where I’ve had more snow than you or other east coast cities. 

I think NYC is snowless on the season so far,  I know they were when I was there NYE

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Snow 1

9 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Yup, Indianapolis is at like 5" below their normal snowfall for the winter. That should change in Feb-Apr but it's still notable. It won't always be this way.

They did however already produce what would be considered an A+ winter for some on here with a 1F/-9F day with an inch of snow on 12/23 and a white Christmas.

• Like 5

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

3 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Lol, if only. It is always feast or famine here. Our average snowfall is skewed higher by a small number of very snowy winters.

Every decade we get a couple of huge winters, a few average ones, and the other half are a complete suckfest. This one has (so far) fallen into the suckfest category.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

NAM 3km and HRRR aren’t calling for anything in the lowlands tomorrow, but HRDPS is.

hrdps-washington-snow_24hr_kuchera_cm-4388800.thumb.png.18b5475bdc85c9b83e9f3cd8cdce73f4.png

2nd shade of grey! 

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Just now, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Yup, Indianapolis is at like 5" below their normal snowfall for the winter. That should change in Feb-Apr but it's still notable. It won't always be this way.

The Ohio Valley will almost always get interesting winter weather. Much harder on this side of the appalachians.

That bomb cyclone in December delivered a solid snowfall to Timmysupercell, but the terrain ate it all up before it reached here.

Had a brief snow squall with the arctic front that whitened the ground, but the ferocious winds blew it all away in 10 mins. It blew so hard you just knew its sole mission was to remove any hint of snow cover. 

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 1

1 minute ago, Phil said:

The Ohio Valley will almost always get interesting winter weather. Much harder on this side of the appalachians.

That bomb cyclone in December delivered a solid snowfall to Timmysupercell, but the terrain ate it all up before it reached here.

Had a brief snow squall with the arctic front that whitened the ground, but the ferocious winds blew it all away in 10 mins. It blew so hard you just knew its sole mission was to remove any hint of snow cover. 

When was the last really big storm there? January 2016?

13 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

I think NYC is snowless on the season so far,  I know they were when I was there NYE

That makes me feel at bit better. Lol.

If we got snow as often as we got these roaring downslope winds, this place would look like Buffalo NY. Been happening so often this year that NWS stopped issuing wind advisories for gusts under 55mph. Everyone is acclimated to it now.

3 minutes ago, Doinko said:

When was the last really big storm there? January 2016?

That was the last top notch blizzard, yes. And that was one of our warmest winters on record, lol.

A storm dropped 13” in January 2019, and two back to back storms dropped 16” in January 2022, but those are more typical, and both were also warmer than average winters overall.

Our last colder than average winter was 2014/15.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terreboner2 said:

I must've got lucky then the year and a half I lived in N. Virginia/D.C. area.  Got hit by a monster NorEaster in 1999 that dropped 22" in Herndon, near Dulles airport where I lived.

I believe that was January 2000. I don’t remember it being that much though, more like 10-15”?

That winter was also warmer than average and snowfall finished near average regionwide.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

My guess is this winter ends up something like 2006-07 for you.

• Like 2

A forum for the end of the world.

1 hour ago, Doinko said:

Not much here either. Maybe 0.2" of snow total and then some sleet and ice. What parts of the country have been doing well this winter for snow? The Dakotas and Minnesota?

Much of the West did great in November/December. Sierras have had a huge snow year so far.

Locally, we're running a little bit above average to this point for snowfall, but could be well above average by this time next week.

• Like 3

A forum for the end of the world.

2 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

My guess is this winter ends up something like 2006-07 for you.

I’d take that. Though February is usually a difficult month here during La Niña. I’m banking on March. 🤞 

6 hours ago, Kayla said:

Congrats on the new job! I've been interviewing for several new work opportunities. Might be headed to SE Alaska this spring for the summer!

Thanks. It is fully remote so it is definitely giving me some tempting relocation ideas, but we'll see as I get more acclimated.

SE AK would be fun. Ideal summer weather, long days and not hot!

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:

Dramatic improvement with the 12z ECMWF with the ridge merger, amplification of the block, did away with that nagging cut-off low quickly, and was not too far from moving into an arctic pattern in 7-9 days. The GFS Op is still lost, tragically so. GEFS, CMCE, EPS all fairly similar with handling of the block and its axis. Cautiously optimistic.

00z GFS in 4 hours 28 minutes
00z ECMWF in 6 hours 38 minutes

EPS was meh. Still a chance. A slight adjustment and we get hammered.

• scream 1
  • Shivering 1

3 minutes ago, Slushy Inch said:

EPS was meh. Still a chance. A slight adjustment and we get hammered.

Quite a good chance if you ask me, which you were not, BUT yeah if you were. I'd even hoist a lofty ~25-30% this early in the game. Of course that still means we end up with a likelihood of a ~70-75% chance of nothing.

00z NAM in 2 hours 17 minutes
(Who's staying up?)

• Like 5

Just now, Gradient Keeper said:

Quite a good chance if you ask me, which you were not, BUT yeah if you were. I'd even hoist a lofty ~25-30% this early in the game. Of course that still means we end up with a likelihood of a ~70-75% chance of nothing.

00z NAM in 2 hours 17 minutes
(Who's staying up?)

I agree with those odds.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Phil said:

I’d take that. Though February is usually a difficult month here during La Niña. I’m banking on March. 🤞 

Interisting that Larry Cosgrove and Justin Berk both went cold snowy herr for febuary which gos against the La nina climo but then again they both went for the not typical La nina winter idea so we will see.

• Snow 1

2 hours ago, Phishy Wx said:

bookend winter

snowy > thaw > snowy

at least over on this side

My wife's still mad about the fun snow we got in April due to messing with her plants.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)