PNW January 2023 Observations and Discussion

Requiem

850s drop to -8 on the EPS on this run.  Very solid.

• Like 4
  • Shivering 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

06z looks real

• Like 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Radar loop is interesting this morning... the c-zone around Everett is moving NW to SE like normal while the c-zone over Tacoma is moving SE to NW and in the perfectly opposite direction as the c-zone to the north.    Can't remember ever seeing that before.  

radar 1-21.png

CODNEXLAB-GOES-West-local-Seattle-comp_radar-14_10Z-20230122_map_noBar-30-1n-10-100.gif

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The MJO forecast might explain the period of cold and blocking coming up... as Jim has mentioned.    Phase 3 is good for cold across the US including the PNW.    But if it crashes back to the middle by early February then this pattern might not be sustainable.   

EMON_BC.png

• Troll 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

7 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Wow Tim is on it this morning! Here is my in-depth analysis…
34 and cloudy here. The GFS PNA forecast sure took a crap.

24B11C12-01E8-4119-A002-C25538647CF1.jpeg

Fell asleep at 9 last night and was up 2 hours before anyone else in the house this morning.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

21 hours ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

One of my chickens died yesterday and it was my fault. We always give them treats like smashed up chips in the bottom of the bag, I shake the bag and they come running up to the house or out of the woods. Yesterday I gave them a bunch of smashed up tortilla chips like I always do. I was doing yard work and I kept hearing a weird sound like weezing and found that one of the smaller hens was struggling to breath. Long story short she ate the ships to fast and didn't drink water and she choked to death. I tried everything I could in a panic trying to fix her, held her upside down tapping her back, rubbed her neck and throat area, stuck a small clear tube down her throat gently blowing air into her lungs to try and clear the blockage.  Kept her alive for 45 minutes pumping air into her lungs. Never have I experienced anything like this. When I was holding her upside down I got a massive amount of small smashed up chips out of her . I know it's just a chicken and I might sound dumb but they are pets to us not live stock.  10 years ago I would of just killed it and not blinked but I've become very sensitive to death the last few years and this was my fault 💔.  Sorry for long post but I had to tell someone the story.

I sure feel your pain on this.  I have 26 layers and I love my girls!  Theyr'e all pretty sweet animals.  Hey, pour them wine, play the violin for them and they'll lay eggs right in your hand.  LOL
I love how they come running across the pen when they think I have treats for them, left over veggies.  It's like a herd of velociraptors running in for the kill.  They just make me laugh.  I collect everyone's Halloween pumpkins(I also go into old pumpkin patches and glean left over pumpkins) and savor those out for a couple months.  They love their pumpkins and it's really healthy for them too.  Anti-parasitical as well.
I get about three doz eggs a week, sometimes more and my wife sells some at the school where she teaches and we eat or give some away.  It's more of a hobby than anything else.  They're just bring us a lot of enjoyment.  Grandkids also love going out and collect the eggs.
Had a raccoon break into their pen last year and killed three of my girls.  It was like I betrayed them.  Now I lock them up every night.  Felt absolutely horrible.
Sorry for what you had to go through.  When I lose a chicken, I take it down to the creek and leave it and usually one of my Bald Eagles comes for it.  In death they still give life.

• Like 8