PNW January 2023 Observations and Discussion

Requiem

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I am not sure many people will be telling family and friends about no snow at all and highs in the 30s.   But I get that it's a big deal to some of you.   In this case... there isn't much threat of the 'telling everyone' jinx. ;)

Unless of course the GFS is right and then it's game on!

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-total_snow_kuchera-5296000.png

Horrific. 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

21 minutes ago, Slushy Inch said:

Some big boy totals are skewing the mean. The potential for a big snow is caused by a trough undercutting the ridge, possibly with north flow still in place. Four members is a lot to have for 20+ inch snow falls.1674518400-nughoyftSLI.png

What's it like for PDX?

• Like 1

Just now, Front Ranger said:

Snow maps are next to meaningless more than a couple days out. Fun to look at and dream, yeah yeah...

Main takeaway from the Euro was the setup in the realistic range 4-5 days out for a significant cold event looks great. Big improvement. 

Yeah, the harder part is getting the cold air in place. Precip is the easy part up there and by far the most subject to change until within the mid range. As someone who would rather see snow over extreme cold, I'd rather be seeing bittery cold but 0 snow model runs right now than a bunch of borderline, 32 degree snowstorms with 3 foot snow totals but no arctic air for hundreds of miles.

• Like 2

Just now, Front Ranger said:

Snow maps are next to meaningless more than a couple days out. Fun to look at and dream, yeah yeah...

Main takeaway from the Euro was the setup in the realistic range 4-5 days out for a significant cold event looks great. Big improvement. 

The 00Z ECMWF run tonight is worse than the 00Z run last night... it was still reloading at day 10 on that run.  

Moisture might actually end up being a problem with this event which has been rare lately.  But we all know that can change.   

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

The 00Z ECMWF run tonight is worse than the 00Z run last night... it was still reloading at day 10 on that run.  

Moisture might actually end up being a problem with this event which has been rare lately.  But we all know that can change.   

It’s over. 😵

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I'm curious, is it even remotely possible for the PNW to get a pattern that is conducive to sea effect snow (ie what western Japan gets), or do the mountains in BC/AB just flat out make it impossible for that kind of arctic air to track over the ocean in any meaningful fashion?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I am not sure many people will be telling family and friends about no snow at all and highs in the 30s.   But I get that it's a big deal to some of you.   In this case... there isn't much threat of the 'telling everyone' jinx. ;)

Exactly. Hard to even get excited about the ridiculous crap the gfs is spitting out and it shows a bunch of snow here too. I'm sure there will probably be a 1-3 inches event somewhere between Salem and Olympia.  Looks like 3-4 days in the 30-35 range which is impressive on its own. 

• Like 3

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

11 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Horrific. 

As modeled by the 00Z ECMWF... I probably wouldn't say anything to my family at any point because there is barely anything that they would even notice over the next 10 days.   

But if I knew anything close to the GFS was going to verify then I would probably be waking them and holding a family Zoom meeting right now.   😀

(my wife is in MN taking care of her dad and my sons are in Seattle and Pullman hence the need for Zoom)

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, SpaceRace22 said:

I'm curious, is it even remotely possible for the PNW to get a pattern that is conducive to sea effect snow (ie what western Japan gets), or do the mountains in BC/AB just flat out make it impossible for that kind of arctic air to track over the ocean in any meaningful fashion?

Totally possible. It is what the famed short track over water scenario does: cold air spills off the central BC coast then loops back and hits OR and WA after getting juiced up with Pacific moisture.

On a more local scale, the northern Olympic Peninsula and the east coast of Vancouver Island often get sea effect snow when the Fraser outflow is going.

• Like 4
It's called clown range for a reason.

16 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Sorry, that doesn’t show what I want to happen so I am throwing it out. Science!

• Like 3
It's called clown range for a reason.

5 minutes ago, SpaceRace22 said:

I think something like January 1880? I don't know much about it but it was something like 5ft of snow in Seattle on a few days while temps were pretty marginal

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SpaceRace22 said:

In modern history, February 1989 was probably closest to this, with a Diet Coke version in December 2021. I believe there was some Ocean Effect stuff in 1989 as well as significant freezing spray. I wish to high heaven I could find the VHS tapes from that event. Some of the ice accretions in the ports were astonishing.

• Like 6

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

3 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

In modern history, February 1989 was probably closest to this, with a Diet Coke version in December 2021. I believe there was some Ocean Effect stuff in 1989 as well as significant freezing spray. I wish to high heaven I could find the VHS tapes from that event. Some of the ice accretions in the ports were astonishing.

A YouTube search netted me nothing but a bunch of ice videos from this December.   It conveniently ignored the February 1989 at the start of my search criteria.   

But here is a video of people slipping and sliding in Seattle from last month... enjoy!

https://youtu.be/EnJ2M6HBjdc

• Like 3
  • Excited 1

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

A YouTube search netted me nothing but a bunch of ice videos from this December.   It conveniently ignored the February 1989 at the start of my search criteria.   

But here is a video of people slipping and sliding in Seattle from last month... enjoy!

https://youtu.be/EnJ2M6HBjdc

It’s been a decades long search. My mom SWEARS they were never thrown out and are somewhere. I took a lot of the video on 2/3 as my dad and I roamed around. There’s video of whiteout stuff on 2/2 as well. Mom is a liar.

• Like 6

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Colder trend on the EPS continues.

I'm seriously wondering if the SSW completion about 10 days from now could prolong this coming cold wave, or give us a shot at another later on.

• Like 7

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9