Jump to content
The Weather Forums

PNW January 2023 Observations and Discussion


Recommended Posts

  • Longtimer
11 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Swing and a miss

6C5CCFC4-84C6-4E42-A226-AF8B6A77FE19.png

Long Beach! 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Staff

Could be a little 35-degree c-zone snow along the I-90 corridor out here tomorrow evening.

 

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-snow_24hr_kuchera-4151200.png

  • Like 8
  • Excited 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How big does a mountain need to be for upsloping/downslopingto to happen? For example, the Olympics/Cascades are great examples. However, tiger Moutains peak is 3,000ft. Yet, there is no effect really (that I am aware of). Just bored and doing research when I should be working😂😂

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

How big does a mountain need to be for upsloping/downslopingto to happen? For example, the Olympics/Cascades are great examples. However, tiger Moutains peak is 3,000ft. Yet, there is no effect really (that I am aware of). Just bored and doing research when I should be working😂😂

Depends on the situation, but they don’t need to be that tall. The appalachians are an upslope/downslope machine. The effects are significant here.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Depends on the situation, but they don’t need to be that tall. The appalachians are an upslope/downslope machine. The effects are significant here.

How wide does it need to be then? For example, Tiger Mountain is tall but not wide at all. Do u have any good weather links to read (if u don’t, then nvm). I am just going down the rabbit hole of this small detail lol

Edited by SouthHillFrosty
  • Like 1
  • lol 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
2 hours ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

All this talk of 2006, there was a nice cold trough that March. 

It snowed 2" here on the 9th.  Biggest snow event of that winter for me.

Wouldn't have been much colder in January/February, though. Just a very chilly onshore flow pattern.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

How big does a mountain need to be for upsloping/downslopingto to happen? For example, the Olympics/Cascades are great examples. However, tiger Moutains peak is 3,000ft. Yet, there is no effect really (that I am aware of). Just bored and doing research when I should be working😂😂

I’m pretty sure some places in city limits of Seattle average a few inches less of rain yearly due to shadowing from Queen Anne and Capitol Hill. Downtown even is shadowed from the West Seattle hill. Not enough shadowing obviously to dry them out when storms come through but just enough for the annual precip totals to be a bit less than other places. Don’t know if downsloping and shadowing are related but this just shows it doesn’t take that high of a hill to cause effects on the weather.

60690BAA-50D7-4C0E-B77C-630B2C2F041E.jpeg

  • Like 6
  • Rain 1

2022-2023 Winter Stats

Total Snowfall - 14.25”

Max Snow Depth - 6”

Coldest High Temp - 23F

Coldest Low Temp - 11F

Number of Freezes - 43

Sub-40 highs - 16

Highs 32 or lower - 3

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

Interesting... Snoqualmie Falls had highs of 48, 45, 41, 50 from 3/8-11 in 2006 with a trace of snow.   

But Cedar Lake station at 1,500 feet had about 6 inches of snow in that period.

That one cut off and thus was a little more impressive the further south you went.

I think snow levels got below 1000' in the Bay Area with that and parts of SF had some snow mixing in with the showers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The cold is making a bit of a comeback east of the Cascades with some stations not getting above freezing today.

Douglas is one of the cold spots again with a 32/22.  As proof that elevations doesn't totally explain how cold that place is they are at 2,600 while Blewett Pass at 4000 feet got up to 37.  Maybe it's a combination of being a good spot for inversions in combination with elevation.

  • Like 2
  • Shivering 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

 

Winter 2022-23 stats

 

Total Snowfall = 7.5"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 10

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.4"

Coldest Low = 17

Lows 32 or below = 43

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 2

Highs 40 or below = 17

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
38 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:

That depends. If you're looking beyond Day 5 roughly it rarely is similar.

00z ECMWF in 4 hours 55 minutes

Yup.  And there's a reason why the CPC ONLY uses ensembles for their 6-10 day and 8-14 day outlooks.

But most of us, and I've been guilty, look at the operationals for the long range.  Especially when it shows something good.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

Interesting... Snoqualmie Falls had highs of 48, 45, 41, 50 from 3/8-11 in 2006 with a trace of snow.   

But Cedar Lake station at 1,500 feet had about 6 inches of snow in that period.

This was one of the more prolific frames for the event. The night of 3/8 was pretty fun with a ton of windswept snow showers in the strong westerly advection. Pretty rare.

D3B86798-DDA2-4FE2-96C5-B164C678D480.png

  • Shivering 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Cold Snap said:

I’m pretty sure some places in city limits of Seattle average a few inches less of rain yearly due to shadowing from Queen Anne and Capitol Hill. Downtown even is shadowed from the West Seattle hill. Not enough shadowing obviously to dry them out when storms come through but just enough for the annual precip totals to be a bit less than other places. Don’t know if downsloping and shadowing are related but this just shows it doesn’t take that high of a hill to cause effects on the weather.

60690BAA-50D7-4C0E-B77C-630B2C2F041E.jpeg

Cool! I had no idea I lived in two separate rain shadows. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

The cold is making a bit of a comeback east of the Cascades with some stations not getting above freezing today.

Douglas is one of the cold spots again with a 32/22.  As proof that elevations doesn't totally explain how cold that place is they are at 2,600 while Blewett Pass at 4000 feet got up to 37.  Maybe it's a combination of being a good spot for inversions in combination with elevation.

Inversion makes sense. There's often a freezing fog that clings to the Waterville Plateau in winter while areas below and above are sunny. It's a broadly bowl-shaped plateau so air probably settles in the middle. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer

My current location probably had 8-12” with the march 2006 event. The sticking snow was pretty spotty at the lowest levels. I remember the Tanesbourne area had 1-2”, but over in Aloha they had nothing. And then wilsonville picked up an inch or two with a heavy shower. 

  • Like 1
  • Snow 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 13.9"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
Just now, Cascadia_Wx said:

48/42 day here. Mostly cloudy with some light rain starting later in the afternoon.

After some of the recent torching it was a refreshingly crisp afternoon in Salem. 

  • Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 13.9"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

How big does a mountain need to be for upsloping/downslopingto to happen? For example, the Olympics/Cascades are great examples. However, tiger Moutains peak is 3,000ft. Yet, there is no effect really (that I am aware of). Just bored and doing research when I should be working😂😂

dunno but we have some 4-5K mtns behind us and we're at 2100' and get downslope off them when the wind is out of the SW/S/SE

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
2 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

Could be a little 35-degree c-zone snow along the I-90 corridor out here tomorrow evening.

 

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-snow_24hr_kuchera-4151200.png

I can see your excitement level is at a 10! 

  • Like 2
  • lol 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

My current location probably had 8-12” with the march 2006 event. The sticking snow was pretty spotty at the lowest levels. I remember the Tanesbourne area had 1-2”, but over in Aloha they had nothing. And then wilsonville picked up an inch or two with a heavy shower. 

Tanasbourne is pretty close so my location probably had a similar amount. What other March events were there that decade, 2002 and 2009?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
6 minutes ago, Doinko said:

Tanasbourne is pretty close so my location probably had a similar amount. What other March events were there that decade, 2002 and 2009?

Yeah March 2002 was pretty decent. Several really impressive cold shots with scattered valley floor accumulations. I think places up toward Bellingham didn’t really really well with that one. 2009

was good too. We had about 1/2” snow in Silverton, but places above 1000’ got 4-8”. Then some very cold dry days followed. 

  • Like 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 13.9"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Longtimer
20 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Yeah March 2002 was pretty decent. Several really impressive cold shots with scattered valley floor accumulations. I think places up toward Bellingham didn’t really really well with that one. 2009

was good too. We had about 1/2” snow in Silverton, but places above 1000’ got 4-8”. Then some very cold dry days followed. 

I remember 2002! I was mowing fairways at the golf course that day until the snow started sticking. 

  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gradient Keeper said:

Countdowns
1/17/23

Spring 🌦🌬☁️🏂 61 days
Summer ☀️🌤🌩🔥🎣 154 days
Fall 🍁🌧🌨🌬☔️ 248 days
Winter ☁️🌧❄️🥶⛷🏂 338 days
Christmas 🎅🦌🎄☃️🌨 341 days

Pft Spring started 1/1/2023🤣

  • Excited 1
  • Sick 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...