Do schools in the mountain states ever close for bad weather?

TheBigOne

Which areas do schools close for bad weather in the mountain states like Eastern Washingtno/Idaho/Wymoming.etc? 

I know that Utah it will take  a rare 2 footer which has to fall in the morning hours before they will even consider closing or they will laugh you out of the state just for even suggesting it! 

What about Colorado?  I have heard that Colorado Springs School District is not as tough as Denver but then again CS  does not get very much snow most winters.   

Any other areas?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my limited experience here in Leavenworth, schools don't often close due to snow.  Just about all of the city and county roads around here get plowed early in the day, so that is usually not an issue.  I know they have closed when there has been freezing rain.  And I suppose a major snowfall could cause school to be delayed or cancelled.  And a major snowfall here would have to be at least 12" overnight.  I have been to events around here during major snows, like church or concerts, and it doesn't seem to slow anyone down, not even older people.

So it is probably similar to Utah, in that regard.  But we average 90" of snow per year, where other places in Eastern Washington are not nearly as snowy, so they probably would be more likely to close if there was a 6" snowfall, for example. 

From my limited experience here in Leavenworth, schools don't often close due to snow.  Just about all of the city and county roads around here get plowed early in the day, so that is usually not an issue.  I know they have closed when there has been freezing rain.  And I suppose a major snowfall could cause school to be delayed or cancelled.  And a major snowfall here would have to be at least 12" overnight.  I have been to events around here during major snows, like church or concerts, and it doesn't seem to slow anyone down, not even older people.

So it is probably similar to Utah, in that regard.  But we average 90" of snow per year, where other places in Eastern Washington are not nearly as snowy, so they probably would be more likely to close if there was a 6" snowfall, for example. 

Takes about 3 to 4" in Tri-cities. School delays could happen with less if its snowing during the morning.

Rarely. The last time anything shut down here was during Sandy, which brought gusts over 100mph here (elevations above 2800ft were protruding into the low level jet), and two feet of snow.

Otherwise, you have to go back to the winter of 2009-10.

Rarely. The last time anything shut down here was during Sandy, which brought gusts over 100mph here (elevations above 2800ft were protruding into the low level jet), and two feet of snow.

Otherwise, you have to go back to the winter of 2009-10.

How many snow days in a winter have you had in the mountains or should I say Highlands of Maryland?  

The * Appalachian Mountains* actually reminds me more of the Scottish Highlands as they aren't really that steep compared to the West Coast ones.   You have a lot of steep hills and dips which looks dangerous when it snows but otherwise no real mountains sticking up.

My Uncle used to live in Leavenworth in the 70s before moving to Port Townsend because of work issues in the mid 80s and now he's having work issues again the last year!     It's amazing during heavy snow they don't even slow down!    Do they all ski to work like in Norway?

His worked slowed down when the economy crashed but he kept plugging thru and now has no job at all but his wife still works so are still able to pay the bills for now.

Dad went to see him sometime in the early 80s before I was even thought of and drove thru a blinding snowstorm and a strange miracle happened while he was driving and spoke to some truckers about it who were stranded at a truck stop which takes too long to get into here.

The only cancellation I have seen was for the blizzard warning in 2010, which interestingly enough was a bust. But yeah, they really don't like to cancel here...even when its hazardous to be outside.

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

My Uncle used to live in Leavenworth in the 70s before moving to Port Townsend because of work issues in the mid 80s and now he's having work issues again the last year!     It's amazing during heavy snow they don't even slow down!    Do they all ski to work like in Norway?

His worked slowed down when the economy crashed but he kept plugging thru and now has no job at all but his wife still works so are still able to pay the bills for now.

Dad went to see him sometime in the early 80s before I was even thought of and drove thru a blinding snowstorm and a strange miracle happened while he was driving and spoke to some truckers about it who were stranded at a truck stop which takes too long to get into here.

I remember in Decembr 2012 in snowed all day, about 4-5 inches, and a local said "it snowed all day, but it didn't amount to much"  Around Western Washington, 3-4 inches is a major snowstorm.

In theory you could ski to work, depending on where you lived and worked.  Skiiing on the streets would not work since they plow those, but if you could ski to town through Blackbird Island, you could get close to work.

There are almost as many members of the local cross country ski club as there are residents in town.  About the only people who don't ski are the people who are not able.  

• 2 weeks later...

The only cancellation I have seen was for the blizzard warning in 2010, which interestingly enough was a bust. But yeah, they really don't like to cancel here...even when its hazardous to be outside.

I'm not talking about canceling.  I am referencing to the 2 hour late start where for example if school starts at 8:15 it will start at 10:15 and they still have all 7 periods that only lasts 20 mins instead of the full 40.   Late starts still get their state funding since late starts don't count as a snow day and often even still have hot lunch. 

I am surprised Utah doesn't adapt the late start system.=

Marion County High School when I first went in 2001 they used to have a scheduled late start every other Wednesday then quietly dropped it without explaining why when they have had it for a long time and I don't remember why they had it but I think it was to give teachers more time to prep in the mornings.  

As long as it can be announced the night before if they feel confident a decent sized storm will wreck the morning commute schools should start using them to give plows more time and children can even play in the snow a little bit on the way.