December Weather In the PNW

BLI snowman

For the record... I don't think it was raining on one side of the house and snowing on the other side.   I think there was some 34-degree snow in the air last night and the lowest part of the yard was slightly cooler and there is a tiny accumulation there but not in other spots.  

I didn't say you did, your hypothesis does hold merit however.

The GFS was never good. Best to discount and wait for EURO

Sounds like we lost the GEM, though. Scary! Hopefully the EURO will look just as good or even better than last nights run!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

28 with clear blue skies here this morning. Looks like about 6-7” of snow survived the melting and compaction yesterday. Didn’t have time to take any photos really but a took a couple as I went out the front door yesterday.

attachicon.gifC299F5D5-79B6-45F8-87E0-5A3F495DF303.jpeg

Awesome! Even the snowman looks perfect!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I can’t even begin to understand the differences between the 06Z and the 12Z GFS. How is it possible for models to flip so dramatically run to run? The GEM at least seems to have consistency going for it.

I can't ever remember so much model flipping in the mid range.  The models are basically useless now.

I guess some kind of weather has to actually happen.     :rolleyes:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Sounds like places like Darrington got a few inches which was confirmed by cars coming west on HWY 530 with snow on them this morning when I was getting on I-5.

So did you see any snow last night?

I know it was too warm here. And I believe it remained dry.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

So did you see any snow last night?

I know it was too warm here. And I believe it remained dry.

Temp briefly fell to 34 and we had a mix of rain and big sloppy snow flakes around 5:30pm but then it warmed to 35 and was just light rain the remainder of the evening. 

Jake...did you see anything of the frozen variety last evening? 

Lol..the WHEM meridional mode is out of control. This biases deep convection towards the NH, which increases poleward heat fluxes on the NH half of the globe. The opposite is true in the SH.

ux3BZa3.jpg

So does this mean you are backing off on your forecast?

Pretty cool link, I'm surprised it is free.

Thanks for sharing.

It seems to show temps in the 28-30 range during the first few hours of that precip. Would certainly cause enough ice accumulation to cause problems if that verified.

Yeah, it's finally good to have free moisture maps from the ECMWF.

So does this mean you are backing off on your forecast?

No, but it does suggest a stormy late winter and spring for much of the WHEM, in my opinion.

Its better than nothing.

You are getting the Friday system in there.    Here is the map for just the Christmas Eve system.   Looks like our friends on Vancouver Island score again!

ww_snow48.132.0000.gif

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

No, but it does suggest a stormy late winter and spring for much of the WHEM, in my opinion.

Ok. It can be confusing when you throw things out there without adding in a piece as to how it may affect things going forward. I don’t think most of us have the ability to infer based just off of the technical stuff alone.

• Like 2