Update - Oumuamua...The Tumbling Cucumber !

“The more I study this object, the more unusual it appears, making me wonder

whether it might be an artificially made probe which was sent by an alien civilization.”

- Avi Loeb, Chair, Harvard's Astronomy Dept., Cambridge, Mass.

Oumuamua.jpg

"Oumuamua" is a Hawaiian word that means "scout or leader in a battle," according

to the Hawaiian School of Knowledge. The word is pronounced OH-moo-uh-moo-uh.

This is an illustration of the highly strange elongated object that was first noticed near

our Sun in September 2017. Astronomers think it's the first publicly known object

from possibly another distant star system to fly through our solar system.

Oumuamua is about a half mile long (800 m) and 262 feet wide (80 m.) It has no icy tail like comets and spins about three times each Earth day suggesting it's a solid object and not a jumble of asteroid rocks. Currently the mystery object is about 180 million miles from Earth traveling at 38.3 kilometers per second.

More at.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2155904-that-interstellar-asteroid-could-be-a-shard-of-a-shredded-planet/

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

• 1 month later...

'Oumuamua had a violent past and has been tumbling around for billions of years

Straight away, they discovered that 'Oumuamua wasn't spinning periodically like most of the small asteroids and bodies that we see in our solar system. Instead, it is tumbling, or spinning chaotically, and could have been for many billions of years.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-02-oumuamua-violent-billions-years.html#jCp

• 1 month later...

Good article. This visitor may answer many questions about the formation of galaxies.

"So what is it? The simplest explanation is that ‘Oumuamua is a planetary leftover called a planetesimal, born in a planet-forming disk around another star but got left out of the finished product. Instead it was kicked out into interstellar space by a giant planet similar to Neptune, or maybe Jupiter. ‘Oumuamua wandered for millions to billions of years, then happened to pass close to the sun.

That can explain how ‘Oumuamua came to roam outside of a planetary system—but it falls short: It doesn’t explain ‘Oumuamua’s weird shape and spin, nor why it looks like a comet with no surface water."

http://nautil.us/blog/the-self-is-other-people?utm_source=pocket&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pockethits

CF7C4843-6B4B-4570-9F61-D9AE6CDB0E9A-776-000001431C8A6069.png

• 3 weeks later...

It probably is a fragment of a larger body that collided with something in the recent past (relatively speaking of course). Couldn’t have been too long ago, given its shape.

• 6 months later...

Harvard ScientitstsDiscuss Extraterrestrial Lightsail  Power

Oumuamua1019171stInterstellarVisitorIllus-750x464.jpg

OumuamuaHarvardTelAvivCornellArchiveAbstract110118-750x436.jpg

"Oumuamua showed deviations from a Keplerian orbit at a high statistical significance. We discuss the possible origins of Oumuamua, including the possibility that it might be a lightsail of artificial origin … for interstellar travel.”

-Schmuel Bialy, PhD and Abraham Loeb, PhD  Harvard Dept. of Astrophysicis. Dr. Loeb is Chairman of Harvard's Astrophysics Dept.

https://www.earthfiles.com/2018/11/04/oumuamuas-peculiar-acceleration-harvard-scientists-discuss-possible-extraterrestrial-lightsail-power/