Christmas Holiday Snow Event

Tom

Omaha is not gunna get more than Lincoln.  I 80 will be the best spot to be.  Most of the models have the heaviest stuff along the interstate

Just needs to stay along that path with a fluctuation of no more than 30 miles to the south. That's my distance from the interstate off to the north. This is gonna be a nail bitter for my area.......

Narrow band but looks great, nice little 4" spot right in my area. I would gladly take a 1-3" band looking just like this, see what the other models have to show. 

NWS is playing this pretty conservative.  Only putting 1 to 2 inches in the area.  I would think they would take it a bit more seriously considering it's Christmas weekend.  Pretty strange. 4 inches is very possible with the higher snow ratios.

NWS is playing this pretty conservative. Only putting 1 to 2 inches in the area. I would think they would take it a bit more seriously considering it's Christmas weekend. Pretty strange. 4 inches is very possible with the higher snow ratios.

That is very true, although the NAM really was overdone on snow totals from this last system so they may be taking that into account. Like most have mentioned ratios should be solid.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Hastings NE
958 PM CST Fri Dec 22 2017

NEZ048-049-060>064-072>077-231200-
/O.NEW.KGID.WW.Y.0009.171223T2100Z-171224T1200Z/
Merrick-Polk-Dawson-Buffalo-Hall-Hamilton-York-Gosper-Phelps-
Kearney-Adams-Clay-Fillmore-
Including the cities of Central City, Stromsburg, Osceola,
Shelby, Polk, Lexington, Cozad, Willow Island, Gothenburg,
Kearney, Grand Island, Aurora, York, Elwood, Johnson Lake,
Holdrege, Minden, Hastings, Sutton, Harvard, Clay Center, Edgar,
Fairfield, Geneva, Exeter, and Fairmont
958 PM CST Fri Dec 22 2017

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 3 PM SATURDAY TO 6 AM
CST SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Plan on slippery road conditions. Total
snow accumulations of 2 to 4 inches are expected. This could
cause hazardous travel conditions, especially along Interstate

* WHERE...Portions of central, east central and south central
Nebraska.

* WHEN...From 3 PM Saturday to 6 AM CST Sunday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Be prepared for reduced visibilities at
times.

Hope this pans out.......just give me 2" and I'll be happy. 

• Like 1

The GEM was replaced by the GDPS but it’s just the Canadian model either way. That’s why you see some call it the GEM still. Or CMC sometimes as well but it’s all referring to the GDPS

Thanks for clarifying! Meanwhile, Hastings has upgraded the snowfall forecast. Looks to me like it's how lucky you are with your totals...riding that thin line! 

stormtotalsnow3.png

The GEM was replaced by the GDPS but it’s just the Canadian model either way. That’s why you see some call it the GEM still. Or CMC sometimes as well but it’s all referring to the GDPS

I had no idea they changed it.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Ah just wonderful. NAM keeps edging south again. What the hell is going on here lol. Building my dreams up to only burn them down on the day of. Lets now cast this s**t.

2018-2019 Snowfall Totals So Far : 59.5"

For More Winter Weather Forecasts for 2017-2018 :

https://www.facebook.com/snowdayweather/

06z NAM's....both suggesting a pretty good snow event for those snow starved who have not been hit in the past 3 years it seems....been a while since we have had a decent clipper type system hit a large part of the sub forum.  The heavier banding look across S NE/C IL looks interesting.  Might have some pretty good returns setting up just south of Chi.

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/nam/2017122306/066/snku_acc.us_mw.png

nam3km_asnow_ncus_61.png

A stripe of WWA's hoisted overnight across the Plains/MW/OV...Finally, we could say there is a welcomed surprise snow event for the Christmas Holiday.  I know peeps down in C IL have been itching for a snow system to hit their region.  Been a few years at least.

Anyhow, I'm glad to see the colder temps today to allow to refreeze the ground after a warm week of weather.  I'm not looking for more than 1.5" around here.  I'll take it though.

http://www.weather.gov/images/lot/wxstory/Tab2FileL.png

http://www.weather.gov/images/lot/events/ChristmasEveSnow.png