January Weather In the PNW

stuffradio

Beautiful New Years morning in Seattle... no fog to be found.

sea_1_1_18.png

They have images going back four years on the Space Needle site... and the last four years have all featured sunny weather in Seattle on New Years Day.    :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Atlanta supposed to have a high of 32 today. Shows how weak our winter in the PNW has been.

Some people on here get very giddy about it dropping a little below 32 at night.  :)

I was watching some New Years Eve celebrations on TV last night... it was 12 degrees in Nashville while Keith Urban was performing.  :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Some people on here get very giddy about it dropping a little below 32 at night. :)

I was watching some New Years Eve celebrations on TV last night... it was 12 degrees in Nashville while Keith Urban was performing. :)

Jim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!2018!!!

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Some people on here get very giddy about it dropping a little below 32 at night. :)

I was watching some New Years Eve celebrations on TV last night... it was 12 degrees in Nashville while Keith Urban was performing. :)

What is wrong with you? It is a very negative human trait to kick people when they are down and twist the knife like this. Pretty disgusting. Why does it bring you joy?

• Like 3

What is wrong with you? It is a very negative human trait to kick people when they are down and twist the knife like this. Pretty disgusting. Why does it bring you joy?

Down?   Don't think so.  

Brutal cold in Montana and North Dakota. Cut Bank put up a -15/-31 day on New Year's Eve. Hettinger, ND dropped to -42 before midnight, breaking the December record low of -40 from 1917. Currently sitting at -41 at 4:00 AM local time.

The December monthly record? Wow.

Dropped to 6.4*F back home. Not close to the daily record but a solid -18*F departure on the low. Probably payback for last year’s furnace.

One of the better pieces of news is the ECMWF is clearly progressing the MJO wave into the Maritime Continent with decent amplitude as we get into the 10th to 15th range.  As always the GFS is mishandling the MJO.  Apparently this just might be an uglier transition than I had hope for.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

That was supposed to be Seattle’s

The target has been January for quite a while now.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Joe Bastardi this morning said this east coast cold pattern won't last as long as models are showing. In this instance he was more directly referring to the CFS showing east coast cold for 3 months, but the message remains that he sees the PNW getting back to the nina state pattern.

• Like 1

Joe Bastardi this morning said this east coast cold pattern won't last as long as models are showing. In this instance he was more directly referring to the CFS showing east coast cold for 3 months, but the message remains that he sees the PNW getting back to the nina state pattern.

We're officially f*cked.

Too bad the U-Haul places are all closed today.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

I’m just giving Phil a hard time, I think he knows I appreciate his input here. I’m pretty sure there was talk of a New Years blast.

All good. I’m definitely fair game, given my earlier rhetoric.