2018 California/Southwest Weather Thread

It was nice to see wet streets this morning though only 0.12 here.

4:15AM NWS discussion: "LA county was the big winner in the precip contest with a quarter to a half inch of rain common across the area". 

Somebody scored big.

It finally rained last night with Fullerton Airport getting 0.26" and John Wayne Airport getting 0.31", but Downtown LA only got 0.02".

It rained for nearly 2 hours here in Orange last night and was heavy at times, too. I don't know how Downtown L.A. could have only received 0.02" as the band of rain was quite solid as opposed to being scattered showers. That 0.02" reading doesn't sound right to me based on the activity of last night, unless the band intensified as it moved into Orange County.

It rained for nearly 2 hours here in Orange last night and was heavy at times, too. I don't know how Downtown L.A. could have only received 0.02" as the band of rain was quite solid as opposed to being scattered showers. That 0.02" reading doesn't sound right to me based on the activity of last night, unless the band intensified as it moved into Orange County.

Since their data is messed up, we will never know if they had the driest year ever at the end of June, assuming the totals for the rest of the season, minus whatever what missed today, are 3.21 or less".

I am looking forward to next storm tomorrow into the weekend but mainly because I will be in northern Sacramento valley where low level snowfall is expected.  B)

Another cold morning. Hope March stays wet the entire month.

L: 42

• Like 1

February 2018 Data

Aver Max: 70.4/ Norm: 69°

Aver Min: 50.6/ Norm: 51°

Mean: 60.5°

MaxHi/Lo: 86/ 56

MinHi/Lo: 60/ 41

HDD: 163

CDD: 40

Rain: 0.14

Year [jul-jun]: 2.39

Days: 1

It's March already and last night's sunset was about the same time (in GMT) as last year's Fall Equinox.

Daylight Saving Time starts on March 11. That will be nice. I find it odd that it's usually colder in mid-March when the sun sets at around 7 PM than after the first Sunday in November, when the sun sets before 5 PM.

Tomorrow's storm is looking promising.

That looks like Redondo Beach or whereabouts looking south towards the Palos Verdes Peninsula.

Yes, Redondo beach where Rick lives; nobody sunning/ swimming when temp is barely 60F. I love this late winter reprise but am anxious for rainfall.

San Bernardino mountains Tuesday

@BryanJeffreyPh2

post-226-0-77619800-1519940617_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Looks like the blizzard is in full gear over the Sierras this afternoon.

No one on I-80 right now!

current.jpg

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Glad to read about the rain totals and hope more showers occur before the trough pushes east. I am much closer to the low off the Oregon coast in Chico but showers have been very light since yesterday. The green hills and orchards in Sacramento valley look great.

(.. cross-reference.)

http://theweatherforums.com/index.php/topic/1711-winter-2017-18-colder-air-mass-movement-and-distribution-projections/?p=328518

So when will the precipitation move longitudinally eastward and latitudinally southward to give Southern California some significant rain? Will it happen before the end of June?

@

---

Two days of rain and this topic had less posts than average for one day. We need some major flooding or severe weather such as strong thunderstorms or tornadoes to get some posts here. Hopefully our next storm can bring some of that without any significant damage.

Lake Forest was the winner for Orange County with a total of 0.53".

• Like 1

I also returned from Northern California to a rain gauge of 1.01 from rain over the weekend. Unfortunately the closest I got to snow was this car parked outside a restaurant in Oroville this morning.

post-226-0-35857300-1520220826_thumb.jpg

Sunrise today is back to where it was the first Monday of Pacific Standard Time, finally. Sunset, however, is 57 minutes later.

Next week it's back to Daylight Saving Time and sunrise just after 7 AM with sunset just before 7 PM. And that could be our last time we do Daylight Saving Time in California.

• Like 1