2018 California/Southwest Weather Thread

Absolutely delightful. Deep stratus, light shower to the west, calm and the kind of humidity we get in May. I love the Gray/ Gloom coming our way in spring. Bring on the rain B)

67F

DP: 59

I can understand our need for rain, but that famous song does NOT say

Zip a dee doo dah. Zip a dee day. My oh my what a wonderful day.

Plenty of overcast heading our way.

Zip a dee doo dah. Zip a dee day.

Then contrary to what any songs say, at least 50% of the human race seems to prefer cool, gloomy weather over warm, sunny weather.

Ever considered moving to Seattle, now that you are retired?

I can understand our need for rain, but that famous song does NOT say

Zip a dee doo dah. Zip a dee day. My oh my what a wonderful day.

Plenty of overcast heading our way.

Zip a dee doo dah. Zip a dee day.

Then contrary to what any songs say, at least 50% of the human race seems to prefer cool, gloomy weather over warm, sunny weather.

Ever considered moving to Seattle, now that you are retired?

Witty :P

If we had 50% cloudiness/ rain then I would be happy but in a Mediterranean climate that is very unlikely. A dry winter would be more acceptable to me so long as an active monsoon were guaranteed such as in Tucson, Arizona.   

Sunday: 69/ 58

Here, I wrote one for you (classic blues progression):

Oh, I'm tired of constant sun

Lawd, I'm tired of constant sun

I fear it's my doom

To never see gloom

Yeah, I'm tired of constant sun.

Plus, it's not 50%.  It's more like 5%, and they're all on weather forums, so it gives you a skewed perspective.  Also, songwriting typically isn't in their skill set.

It has to be a happy song, so it should not say you are tired of something.

Flash flood watch for Santa Barbara/ Ventura counties; areas that desperately need the rain but not all at once. Hopefully no mud/ landslides up there.

76/ 58

Huntington Beach Pier this morning:

@StaciKratz

post-226-0-61495600-1520898628_thumb.jpg

Flash flood watch for Santa Barbara/ Ventura counties; areas that desperately need the rain but not all at once. Hopefully no mud/ landslides up there.

76/ 58

Huntington Beach Pier this morning:

@StaciKratz

Must be after the marine layer burned off, but the satellite image does not show much of that happening at the beaches.

It's humid today.

Our hazy June Gloom pattern continues, as yesterday got pretty warm when the sun came out, but you could still barely see the Santa Ana Mountains.

Hope the colder air with the storm systems later this week can at least wipe out the inversion and bring some snow to the mountains.

Also, it's drizzling this morning.

Once again, the middle of the day was pretty nice. Amount of rain was disappointing for this afternoon, however.

Also, today is the 3rd of 3 days in 2018 where solar noon is 1:00 PM or later. We are gaining more light in the mornings than the evenings, but last few mornings were so overcast it looked like full darkness at 6:25 AM, my alarm clock time, when there should have been at least partial daylight.

Mar132018Sunclock.png

You may remember last week they were saying we'd have a strong storm around the Ides of March (tomorrow). Not that strong anymore.

Now another strong storm expected middle of next week. Will it fizzle out or take a more northerly track again?

Today is Pi Day, by the way, so expect the irrational.

Thunder98 is up against snowman5678 in the First Four tonight in Weather Forums March Madness. Currently Thunder98 is winning at halftime. Go Texas Southern.

As for the weather, much less haze today and there was not a solid overcast deck in the morning. Weaker inversion helped, as we lost our atmospheric river and tropical air mass.

It appears the "door"/ deep troughs is open for additional rain/ snowfall. Maybe not a March 'miracle' yet but next week's storm could include quite heavy rainfall rates. 

65/ 55

Rain: 0.31

March: 1.97 

Year [jul-jun]: 4.50

Happ got just knocked out of the 2018 Weather Forums March Madness competition in a big upset. Heavy Snow has dominated for now. Dan the Weatherman is still in it.

Today got mostly sunny and there was not much of an inversion to keep any haze around. Tomorrow has a chance of being the first morning since Daylight Saving Time started to not be mostly cloudy.

Prognosis for rain recovery is dire especially considering the average amount of precipitation is less than 2 inches from April to the end of the rain year [either June 30 or Sept 30]

@ggweather

post-226-0-41646500-1521221877_thumb.jpg

"That said...both the EC and GFS have 
  demonstrated this season an annoying tendency to develop large 
  storms on Day 6 and beyond only to diminish them as the event 
  nears."  NWS_LA

First minimum below 50F since 3/5. Sunday could produce frost in some areas unless windy, IMO

49°

The one bad thing about a mild climate is that you can have January like temperatures in June or July like temperatures in January. All it takes is a switch from a dominant ridge pattern to a dominant trough pattern to get a "reverse spring". This year winter began late February right before the start of meteorological spring. Most of December and January were like summer.

Here a summer like day in December is like a #10 seed beating a #7 seed in the NCAA tournament or a #11 seed beating a #6 seed.

In a place like New York, you'd never see a 90 degree humid day in January or a snowy day in June. Or at least it's extremely unlikely. However, it could just happen some day like #16 UMBC beating #1 Virginia.