2018 California/Southwest Weather Thread

It has been almost a year since we've had this kind of winter weather. Sorry for the burn areas though.  

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Los Angeles/Oxnard CA
651 PM PST Sat Jan 6 2018

...PERIODS OF HEAVY SNOW AT HIGHER ELEVATIONS AND VERY STRONG AND
POTENTIALLY DAMAGING WINDS MONDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH TUESDAY
EVENING...

.A strong storm system will generate strong and potentially
damaging southerly winds gusting up to 70 mph across the mountains
of Los Angeles and Ventura counties, including Interstate 5 near
the Grapevine. Light snowfall could begin at the higher elevations
Monday afternoon, with heavier snowfall possible Monday night into
early Tuesday morning. Snow levels will rapidly drop early
Tuesday morning, with scattered snow showers persisting into
Tuesday evening. Snow levels will initially be 8000 to 9000 feet
Monday into Monday night, lowering rapidly to 4000 to 5000 feet on
Tuesday. There will still be enough moisture to potentially bring
light snow and icy conditions across the Interstate 5 Corridor
near the Grapevine Tuesday into Tuesday evening.

CAZ054-071330-
/O.NEW.KLOX.WS.A.0001.180109T0000Z-180110T0600Z/
Los Angeles County Mountains excluding the Santa Monica Range-
Including the cities of Acton, Mount Wilson, and Sandberg
651 PM PST Sat Jan 6 2018

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
TUESDAY EVENING...

The National Weather Service in Los Angeles/Oxnard has issued a
Winter Storm Watch, which is in effect from Monday afternoon
through Tuesday evening.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...8 to 18 inches above 8000 feet, 3 to 6
  inches between 6000 and 8000 feet, and 1 to 3 inches possible
  between 4000 and 6000 feet.

* SNOW LEVELS...Initially 8000 to 9000 feet Monday into Monday
  night, lowering rapidly to 4000 to 5000 feet Tuesday.

* WINDS...Southerly winds 25 to 40 mph with damaging gusts to 70
  mph possible. Strongest at higher elevations and near the
  Grapevine.

* IMPACTS...Heavy snow, gusty winds, low visibilities in blowing
  snow and icy roads make for dangerous driving conditions and
  could lead to road closures and travel delays. In addition,
  extended exposure to cold and wind could be life threatening.
  Light snow accumulations and icy conditions will be possible for
  Interstate 5 near the Grapevine Tuesday into Tuesday evening

• Like 1

Really enjoying the onshore flow after weeks and weeks of very low dew points. I kept the bedroom window open overnight to let the moist coolness in like a humidifier for my fever [caught the flu] and actually dreamt of showers. 

Friday: 74/ 58

NWS_SD is increasing projected rain totals

The flu has really been going around recently. I have been sick since the day after Christmas, and just now have begun to feel better the last 2 days. Apparently the flu vaccine hasn't been very effective on one of the predominant flu strains this year. I have hardly ever caught the flu since getting a flu shot on a regular basis, but I believe I have been fighting the flu over the last 2 weeks.

• Like 1

The flu has really been going around recently. I have been sick since the day after Christmas, and just now have begun to feel better the last 2 days. Apparently the flu vaccine hasn't been very effective on one of the predominant flu strains this year. I have hardly ever caught the flu since getting a flu shot on a regular basis, but I believe I have been fighting the flu over the last 2 weeks.

I was in California for Christmas. There was a stomach bug going around my family. I was deathly afraid I'd be lucky enough to catch it on the plane ride back. Miraculously, I didn't catch it at all.

• Like 2

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

I was sick as a dog [per the peculiar saying] and surprised since I had the flu shot. Also had a nagging cold earlier in December and wonder if the dry dusty winds this autumn/ winter played a role in the worst allergy season I can recall.

I picked up around 2" in Santa Barbara.  Some areas where the mudslides occurred picked up in excess of .5" in about 5 minutes.  That is a lot of rain in such a short period of time especially considering this is the first rain of more than a quarter of an inch this season.

This storm was quite good for Orange. Yesterday it was off and on lighter rain for the most part, but the heavier rains arrived late and continued into the overnight hours. There was a break this morning, but it rained for a good portion of this afternoon, heavy at times, before tapering off in the evening and ending after dark. I will check my rain gauge tomorrow and post a total then.

It was such a relief to finally get some rain. The anxiety that turned into excitement was palpable on WeatherWest.  :lol: Prefrontal muggy showers Monday night only produced  0.22. Yesterday's rainfall, all during daylight, started with wind/ heavy shower after sunrise. Then dry until afternoon w/ little thunder/ periodic light/moderate rain adding another inch. Temp dropped to 54F while low moved over [max was around midnight]. Might be a while before it rains again.

Lots of people coughing and sneezing today as it's that time of year. As a precaution, I'm washing my hands a lot and taking lots of Emergen-C. People should not come into the office sick, even when they are past the worst part of the cold or flu. Especially today when many jobs allow you to work from home over Remote Desktop. Christmas is the most likely time to get sick, though, and my dad would bring the flu to our family every single Christmas vacation before he retired. 

Cold weather today, but looks like sun will come out soon. Then it's back to the normal ridging and offshore flow for a few days.