1/10 - 1/11 Possible Severe Frontal Passage with intense snow showers

clintbeed1993

Hey guys, back in the saddle...I caught some sort of stomach bug last night and knocked me out.  Glad to see the storm still showing up and I'm encouraged to see the 00z EPS shift the 2" snow mean SE across MN and into NE (just to the west of OMA) and it has expanded.  It's even seeing the secondary wave ride up towards the Lower Lakes on the 13th-14th...this may end up being a separate thread if trends continue.

• Like 1

Hey guys, back in the saddle...I caught some sort of stomach bug last night and knocked me out. Glad to see the storm still showing up and I'm encouraged to see the 00z EPS shift the 2" snow mean SE across MN and into NE (just to the west of OMA) and it has expanded. It's even seeing the secondary wave ride up towards the Lower Lakes on the 13th-14th...this may end up being a separate thread if trends continue.

Hope you're doing better Tom!

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

GEM is cuckoo for cocoa puffs. It has shown hilariously unrealistic solutions so many times for this storm, it's almost as if it's in a completely different world. I've written it off completely for this system. What it shows is just meteorologically wrong.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Many GEFS members are still being douchecopters about amounts/ptypes here. They'll come around. We're getting around to the point where ensembles have less say in things anyway.

3" snow mean cutting right through OMA on the 12z GEFS and a notable shift SE compared to 00z...looking better for ya'll...S & C MN still looks good as well...DSM riding the 2" mean...

This is gonna be my Euro update post. I'll edit it as the run comes in more.

Yeah so far there are no marked differences between Euro runs @ 78.

@ 84, the SLP is literally in the exact same spot at 00z. A bit North of where NAM put it. It's weird when NAM is the farthest south solution.

It's less good with the precip rates, but way wider with the range, with snow stretching from Oklahoma to Newfoundland.

Looks like heaviest rates will come to whoever gets under the thin bands. Reasonably, 3-6" ranges across Nebraska. Not too exciting, but with the clipper on Friday I'll take it.

Twin Cities with around 6", Duluth around 8", heaviest band in Iowa is from a Pacific Junction-Atlantic-Mankato line, at about 6". East of there there is a sharp cutoff.

• Like 1

This euro run is looking like an ORD/MI crush job with that secondary low dropping to 985 over Toledo and a 1050 high over the Dakotas. Meanwhile, E IA is stuck right in between the first and secondary wave with absolutely nothing.

• Like 1

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")