Weather Photos

2018 Zermatt, Switzerland became snowed in. 23' of snow.

Skiers stranded, some airlifted out. It took over 2 days to clear the train tracks.

It snows plenty there, but 23' in one big storm is gob smacking and an avalanche threaten the city to boot.

IMG_2955.JPG

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

• 1 month later...

Rare snowfall in Rome plunged temps to record lows.

Temperatures in Bucharest, Romania fell as low minus eight degrees Celsius Monday, with the General Inspectorate for Emergency Situations calling in 5,000 officials to help people adversely affected by the cold snap. Neighboring Bulgaria experienced snowdrifts of as much as 40cm (16 inches) in some parts.

Meanwhile, in Germany, certain parts have reported record low temperatures of minus 27 degrees Celsius (minus 16.6F). Croatia has also deployed up to 1,000 troops to clear snow in the worst-affected areas which have been ground to a halt by up to 1.5 meters (5ft) of snow, reports The State.

https://www.rt.com/news/419848-italy-army-rome-snow/

IMG_3026.JPG

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

Minus 30.5 degrees C (-22.9F)

According to the German Weather Service (DWD) in Offenbach, minus 30.5 degrees were measured on the Zugspitze, Germany’s highest peak, on Tuesday night.

“At minus 30.5 degrees it was as cold there on the night of Tuesday as never before in a third decade of February since 1901 – ie 117 years! Under minus 30 degrees on the extreme for the end of February is really an extreme you can see very clearly what a massive cold air intrusion it is currently “, so meteorologist Dominik Jung from weatherportal wetter.net .

https://www.abendzeitung-muenchen.de/inhalt.deutschland-bibbert-minus-30-5-grad-neuer-kaelterekord-auf-der-zugspitze.2703738e-de6d-4e40-9f3d-d3eb5d80752b.html

Do you recall all those iconic images of people skating the canals in Amsterdam? I remember getting Christmas cards set in the early 1800's Little Ice Age Period.

Well, they've been projecting a little ice age return, so here's to the new edition of Currier and Ives Christmas cards.

IMG_3027.PNG

February 2018-Amsterdam.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Snow wall at almost 6 stories in Japan.

The Tateyama Kurobe Alpin Route is a major tourist attraction in Japan.

These large white walls are located in Murodo, at the highest point of the route at an altitude of 2,450 meters and are known as “yuki no otani”.

IMG_3080.JPG

IMG_3081.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! I appreciate what you do over here! That's awesome!

In regards to the March post, we've seen Russia socked in with incredible cold for 2 seasons in a row as well. My thinking is that it's only a matter of time before our side of the globe catches up. I've read a lot about the weather of the 1800s. Don't know how soon but I'm pretty sure it can happen and will happen again.

April in the South of France ?

“This photo is from the south of France, 15 kilometers (9 miles) up the hill from St Tropez at 360 meters (1,181 ft),” says resident Ed Hoskins.

“We have had it like this twice this winter, ” says Ed, who lives in southern France.

“Prior to that we have had snowfall twice in the last 20 years.”

IMG_3093.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Switzerland had a record winter. Most snowfall since records have been kept.

Most of the heaviest snowfall was in western Switzerland.

26 people died in winter conditions and sports, a new record.

Many cities were cut off for days at a time this winter.

https://www.thelocal.ch/20180504/experts-confirm-winter-broke-records-for-snowfall

See post # 1

Switzerland had a record winter. Most snowfall since records have been kept.

Most of the heaviest snowfall was in western Switzerland.

26 people died in winter conditions and sports, a new record.

Many cities were cut off for days at a time this winter.

https://www.thelocal.ch/20180504/experts-confirm-winter-broke-records-for-snowfall

See post # 1

That's crazy! I would assume that Switzerland has kept records for much longer than we have so that's very impressive. Unfortunate about the deaths, obviously. Not cheering for that. Wonder how long their records do actually go back though.

Edit: Nevermind, their site indicates 1864 as the beginning of annual summaries.

• Like 1

Yeah, 1864.

I had hoped that records might have been acquired from unofficial sources back to the Little Ice Age.

Just as a little note that climate is history.....

My family lived in Kyburg in eastern Switzerland until 1710. The winters were so bad that all the fruit trees died. People were starving. To make matters worse, the northern part of Switzerland was stripped of food, and animals, looted by French and Germany armies that were at war with each other for 200 years.

My family left for America in 1710. Six left, only 3 arrived. The father, a daughter and a son.

The father was killed by Mohawk Indians near Albany, on an expedition up the Hudson bound for the Green Valley in Vermont, known as Little Switzerland.

I'm descended from the son, Johannes Ryche. My maiden name was Rich. He helped to develop Rye NY and found Yonkers. His sister helped to found the Westchester County area in NY. The revolutionary war Battle of Whiteplains was fought on our land.

Yeah, 1864.

I had hoped that records might have been acquired from unofficial sources back to the Little Ice Age.

Just as a little note that climate is history.....

My family lived in Kyburg in eastern Switzerland until 1710. The winters were so bad that all the fruit trees died. People were starving. To make matters worse, the northern part of Switzerland was stripped of food, and animals, looted by French and Germany armies that were at war with each other for 200 years.

My family left for America in 1710. Six left, only 3 arrived. The father, a daughter and a son.

The father was killed by Mohawk Indians near Albany, on an expedition up the Hudson bound for the Green Valley in Vermont, known as Little Switzerland.

I'm descended from the son, Johannes Ryche. My maiden name was Rich. He helped to develop Rye NY and found Yonkers. His sister helped to found the Westchester County area in NY. The revolutionary war Battle of Whiteplains was fought on our land.

That is pretty incredible!

I have discovered that the immigrant portion of my family is from Kent in Southeast England (home of Canterbury). I am of Welsh descent on the "white" side and Cherokee on the Native American part. I don't know much about the weather history there though other than they were folk that loved the woodland meadows and hills. (Kinda like me. Heh.)They arrived in Scituate, Mass in the early 1600s. The Men of Kent Cemetery there is named for some of them. I don't really know the history of what caused them to leave Kent.

Six waterspouts in a row! Due to intense heat of lava in Hawaii.

IMG_3115.JPG

• Like 2

IMG_3121.JPG

Snow has fallen in the Ardèche, Cantal, Haute-Loire and Lozère, with Météo France calling it “heavy and settled, notable and late” in the season.

Since yesterday, the four departments have been on “orange alert” - the second-most severe level - for snow and ice, with the forecaster predicting that the conditions could make driving dangerous and difficult.

The late appearance of the snow - which Météo France called “heavy and settled” - is expected to have a significant impact on spring plants and vegetation, as well as road conditions, and any “fragile buildings”.

In some places, over 12 centimetres of snow has fallen, especially at high altitudes of over 1,400 metres and higher.

Even at over 900 metres, over four centimetres have been recorded, with as much as seven centimetres at altitudes of 1,240 metres.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:3om52vHKWt0J:https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Heavy-May-snowfall-surprises-south-Massif-Central+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Freakin' south central France!

IMG_3120.JPG

IMG_3121.JPG

Snow has fallen in the Ardèche, Cantal, Haute-Loire and Lozère, with Météo France calling it “heavy and settled, notable and late” in the season.

Since yesterday, the four departments have been on “orange alert” - the second-most severe level - for snow and ice, with the forecaster predicting that the conditions could make driving dangerous and difficult.

The late appearance of the snow - which Météo France called “heavy and settled” - is expected to have a significant impact on spring plants and vegetation, as well as road conditions, and any “fragile buildings”.

In some places, over 12 centimetres of snow has fallen, especially at high altitudes of over 1,400 metres and higher.

Even at over 900 metres, over four centimetres have been recorded, with as much as seven centimetres at altitudes of 1,240 metres.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:3om52vHKWt0J:https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Heavy-May-snowfall-surprises-south-Massif-Central+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Freakin' south central France!

IMG_3120.JPG

Wow! What in the world is going on over there?!