Jump to content
The Weather Forums

Green Comet Not Seen For 50,000 Years


Recommended Posts

A green comet will pass Earth at its closest Feb 12th.  

It has a full orbit of around 50,000 years, according to NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, meaning that the last time it came so close to Earth was when Neanderthals roamed the planet.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/green-comet-pass-earth-neanderthals-roamed-earth

  • Like 3
  • Excited 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

 

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/7/2023 at 7:54 PM, Andie said:

A green comet will pass Earth at its closest Feb 12th.  

It has a full orbit of around 50,000 years, according to NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, meaning that the last time it came so close to Earth was when Neanderthals roamed the planet.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/green-comet-pass-earth-neanderthals-roamed-earth

Best time to see it from the Northern Hemisphere is expected to be mid/late January. New moon on the 21st will minimize lunar interference.

Disclaimer is that comets are a lot like cats: both have tails and do whatever they want. Surprises happen. It may be brighter than forecast, or it may end up a dud that requires a powerful telescope to see.

Naked-eye comets tend to come once or twice per decade on average. I have probably seen 8 or 10 of them. First one I saw was still the best: Comet West in 1976, which was bright enough to illuminate the landscape.

  • Like 3
It's called clown range for a reason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/7/2023 at 7:54 PM, Andie said:

A green comet will pass Earth at its closest Feb 12th.  

It has a full orbit of around 50,000 years, according to NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, meaning that the last time it came so close to Earth was when Neanderthals roamed the planet.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/green-comet-pass-earth-neanderthals-roamed-earth

That must have one hell of an orbit.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Best time to see it from the Northern Hemisphere is expected to be mid/late January. New moon on the 21st will minimize lunar interference.

Disclaimer is that comets are a lot like cats: both have tails and do whatever they want. Surprises happen. It may be brighter than forecast, or it may end up a dud that requires a powerful telescope to see.

Naked-eye comets tend to come once or twice per decade on average. I have probably seen 8 or 10 of them. First one I saw was still the best: Comet West in 1976, which was bright enough to illuminate the landscape.

I got to see Halley’s in 1986..  
Felt really privileged.  Just stood for several nights gawking like a 10 yr old!!  😮

  • Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

 

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Andie said:

I got to see Halley’s in 1986..  
Felt really privileged.  Just stood for several nights gawking like a 10 yr old!!  😮

So did I. Halley’s really wasn’t that good the last time, only about as good as Holmes in 2007. Normally it is a very bright one but 1986 was about as bad a year for it as one could get.

Last one I saw was NEOWISE in July 2020, about average. Hyakutake in 1996 had a tail that spanned over half the sky and shimmered as the solar wind interacted with it. Hale-Bopp in 1997 was visible for over a year. Those and West which as I already mentioned was bright enough to light up the landscape on moonless nights were the best I’ve seen.

  • Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah. I enjoyed Hyakutake. 

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

 

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to ask, who else enjoyed Al Gore’s rant at Davis having flown in on his jet?  

He predicted the north pole would be melted in 10 yrs.  
Yet one attendee flew 13 miles in his private jet.  Not a typo. 

  • scream 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

 

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...