1/21 - 1/23 Plains/Midwest Blizzard

Tom

Little slick in spots but not terrible. Just got to our shop. Sleet on the ground in West Lincoln with lighting and thunder. Was hoping we would be seeing snow by now. Most models were showing it by now. Have a feeling we may bust pretty good on this one. Been to both sides of lincoln checking snow removal properties wnd thermometer only got down to 36. Still have a ways to go that’s for sure

Little slick in spots but not terrible. Just got to our shop. Sleet on the ground in West Lincoln with lighting and thunder. Was hoping we would be seeing snow by now. Most models were showing it by now. Have a feeling we may bust pretty good on this one. Been to both sides of lincoln checking snow removal properties wnd thermometer only got down to 36. Still have a ways to go that’s for sure

Most models held off snow till 6 or 7. That makes up for us being in the slot right now. We still need 850mb temps to cool down, so the slot isn't all bad. As the low moves East, the precip shield will jog Southeast, which is when we will see our heaviest snow.

Roads aren't concerning right now, temps still above freezing. Precip is just wetbulbing down.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

It's funny. News stations seemed more hysterical during the "storm" a couple of weeks ago than they are now even though we're in a Blizzard Warning. I guess it's because we're slotted. During that storm, it was constant weather coverage. Today, it's the normal morning news schedule.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

The changeover is occurring here with the thin band of sleet that just passed. Snow falling just North of Lincoln now. Main area of snow should get here around sunrise, possibly later. Definitely slower than what most models besides Euro showed. Euro was too slow.

I just experienced the loudest crack of thunder I've ever heard that almost shook me out of my seat!  It was def unexpected...it prob struck somewhere down my block.

Meantime, N IL is under a flood advisory...

Tab5FileL.png?5efac60235409ead6b33b26e6d

Radar looks crazy out here...

http://climate.cod.edu/data/nexrad/LOT/N0Q/LOT.N0Q.20180122.1200.gif

• Like 1

Man the southern row of counties in central Nebraska seems to have completely missed out. Not sure if they got much of anything there so far. Radar isn’t looking great either.

Yeah the slot is killing them. Wonder how CentralNeb did. I'm sure they'll get some backside action.

Just woke up and looked outside to a mix of rain, sleet and wet snow outside here in Southwest Omaha (Chalco/Millard area near I-80 and Highway 50). Some huge flakes of snow are falling with this mix and this appears to be helping the temperature wet-bulb down, my thermometer is showing 34.1. A little bit of sloppy accumulation as well looking outside on elevated surfaces.

Schools here locally are all closing today in anticipation of this storm.

This would be a pretty bad spot for this thing to hit the brakes. So freaking close to here.

Yeah this is terrifying, especially since I'm watching on the Southeast side. 10/11's radar makes it look like the comma is inching South though.

Glad to hear the snow is falling for those near OMA. You guys are going to be sitting underneath that defo band for a long time. Snow should stack up quick.

Thanks Tom! I am still a little bit concerned about the dry slot to our southeast over SE Nebraska and SW Iowa, however it appears the precipitation is wrapping around nicely around the pivot point near the storm’s center. The cut off with this system on the south and east edge is going to be so severe.

It’s nice to see the changeover take place earlier than the NWS called for here.

Thanks Tom! I am still a little bit concerned about the dry slot to our southeast over SE Nebraska and SW Iowa, however it appears the precipitation is wrapping around nicely around the pivot point near the storm’s center. The cut off with this system on the south and east edge is going to be so severe.

It’s nice to see the changeover take place earlier than the NWS called for here.

Ya, that pivot is going to be key for you to stay in the game.  No joke, that is one extreme cut off but I think your going to do fine.  Radar trends keep filling in over OMA and the defo band is slowly coming south.  Those are some nice dbz returns on radar!  Are you getting half dollar size fatty flakes?