1/21 - 1/23 Plains/Midwest Blizzard

Tom

Stormgeek based on radar trends it looks like you’re gonna get in on the good stuff.

I was looking at that. Thought it was just me being hopeful, but maybe it is lifting just enough north. Time will tell. Going to be razor close.

Edit: Twin Cities NWS just posted about this on Twitter. Looks like the metro is going to take a beating. COME ONNNN.

Went for a walk around my complex and took these. Arterials are slushy. Side streets are ice rinks. Wet snow from earlier has flash frozen. Had to take a scraper to get it off my car. Tiny flakes now so it's having a hard time accumulating.

IMG_20180122_102122.jpg

IMG_20180122_102127.jpg

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Power lines down in rural areas of Phelps County according to Southern Public Power

That is one thing I hope does not happen, I can't go without power!! In other news, I-80 between Milford and Utica is closed due to a jack knifed semi. I can't imagine driving on the interstate today, that would be insane! 

• Like 1

Mesoscale Discussion 0039
NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
0920 AM CST Mon Jan 22 2018

Areas affected...Portions of eastern NE...far southeastern
SD...northern/western IA...southern MN...and western WI

Concerning...Heavy snow

Valid 221520Z - 222115Z

SUMMARY...Heavy snow, with rates around 1-2 inches per hour, will
spread northeastward through this afternoon. Blizzard conditions
will continue across parts of eastern NE into far southeastern SD,
western/northern IA, and southern MN for at least a few more hours.

DISCUSSION...A mature mid/upper-level cyclone centered over eastern
NE/KS this morning will move east-northeastward across IA/MO and
towards IL by later today. A zone of strong low/mid-level
frontogenetic forcing on the northern extent of this cyclone is
supporting a band of moderate to heavy snow extending from eastern
NE into western/northern IA and southern MN. This heavy snow band
will develop northeastward into more of southern MN and eventually
parts of western WI by this afternoon. Snowfall rates of 1-2 inches
per hour will be common within this band, with locally higher rates
possible within where localized convective enhancement occurs.
Sporadic lightning strikes may continue given the very strong
large-scale forcing and steepened mid-level lapse rates.

Additionally, a strong surface pressure gradient exists on the
northern side of a low centered over IA as of 15Z, which is
supporting blizzard conditions across parts of eastern NE, far
southeastern SD, western/northern IA, and southern MN. Here,
frequent northerly/northeasterly gusts of 35-50 mph are resulting in
blowing snow with substantially reduced visibilities (1/4 of a mile
or less). These blizzard conditions are expected persist for at
least the next few hours.

mcd0039.gif

That is one thing I hope does not happen, I can't go without power!! In other news, I-80 between Milford and Utica is closed due to a jack knifed semi. I can't imagine driving on the interstate today, that would be insane! 

My sister lives about 3 miles south of Schuyler and she said she has no power

Looking like we may get a band stretching from Waverly to near Blair. Can't exactly tell how strong it is cuz it passes straight thru the OAX radar site. That's the one shot I have for decent accumulations before the backside.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

I was thinking my parents up in Yankton, SD in southeast SD along the NE/SD border would end up losing out on any decent accumulations after they were in the jackpot zone for most of the time leading up to this storm, but yesterday looked like things changed for them. My parents estimate they were already at 5" and that was about 2 hours ago and they've been sitting under a heavy snow band since. Radar shows no signs of letting up for them either.

Implying there is not a back building band approaching us? I think you're hung over.

Exactly, another enhanced band just reformed right over the western part of Omaha and it's starting to pour down snow once again.

This storm is far from over for Lincoln and Omaha, the main area of snow has yet to even pivot back through our areas.  

• Like 1

I have been observing the radar imagery and it is quite odd how all the echoes seem to fall apart or diminish significantly as they try to make entrance into the county Lincoln, Nebraska is in; I guess that would be the Lancaster County...

Don't listen to Snowlover. He is a troll. I appreciate you watching this storm with us even though it's no longer affecting you.

• Like 2

Exactly, another enhanced band just reformed right over the western part of Omaha and it's starting to pour down snow once again.

This storm is far from over for Lincoln and Omaha, the main area of snow has yet to even pivot back through our areas.  

Exactly. Though wtf is with the returns right now lol dry slot right over Lancaster for no reason.

Ha! My grid point forecast now has me with 5-9" of snow and OAX maps have been updated with new higher totals over Omaha. Had 1-3" forecast earlier this morning. Not sure what they are seeing as it's not snowing and hasn't been for basically the last 2+ hours. Heavier bands are also moving west away from Omaha and even though there is a little bit of development, it's nothing more than lt snow/flurries. 

They have adjusted this again Jeremy, I think you do great!! Sorry to hear about your sister losing power, man that's the worse! I think when it's all said and done I should see a foot or more. It was so bizarre earlier, it stopped snowing for like 20 minutes and then all of a sudden boom it started coming down hard again. The back edge of this storm will do well for all of us. 

• Like 1

Local ABC meteorologist blamed dry air being drawn into this storm yesterday, last night, through some of this morning. Some did really well. I will end with 3-4”. I would say I am more than a little disappointed when for 3 days I was predicted from 8-11” then upped to 11-14”. Didn’t want to admit it, but always believed those were to high. New resolution this year for myself is not to get mad or angry because Mother Nature will do what she will and doesn’t care about forecast models. On to the next storm.

• Like 1

Finally snowing hard here again with big fattys coming down. Hope this hangs together for awhile! Of note, we do still have the back end of the storm to move through, but all of the models show the band falling apart pretty quickly this afternoon so it's hard to know what will happen.