The Presidents Day Storm

Tom

A very complex and multi faceted system will develop across the central Plains late on Sunday creating an extreme temp gradient from CO east into the GL's region.  This gradient pattern coupled with GOM moisture will feed into this system creating a potpourri of precip from snow, heavy rain, ice potential and possible thunderstorms.  Let's discuss....

00z Euro took a step towards the GFS and is targeting the MSP region up through N WI/U.P with snow.

00z GFS...

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/gfs/2018021500/150/snku_acc.us_mw.png

06z GFS...

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/gfs/2018021506/144/snku_acc.us_mw.png

I'm definitely getting a severe wx vibe from this system. Not in my area, but the OV, MO and OK may have some stuff to look out for. The combo of CAPE and hodograph curvature seems best over eastern OK, but I could see a squall line, non zero QLCS tornado threat further NE. OK is definitely an unusual spot to have 60s dews this time of year, but as of right now, looks to be the best spot for any supercell activity.

• Like 1

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

18z NAM still likes us for some SN Sunday?

namconus_ref_frzn_ncus_43.png

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

She's a beaut Clark!

OK Eddie...

Though I think they lived in Kansas...

Eddie: You know Clark; the bank's been after me like flies on a rib roast...

Eddie's wife: Now Eddie; Clark and Ellen don't want to hear about our problems..

Clark: No, no...its very interesting...

Aunt Edna: Why don't you just ask him for the money Eddie...sure as hell can't take a hint

Eddie: Well Clark...could you maybe spare a little bit?

Clark: Sure Eddie...how much you need?

Eddie: About $52,000.

• Like 3

Looks like the most we'll get from this may be freezing drizzle Monday. God I hope not. I'd rather have cold rain.

Id rather have rain too. Anything is better then a dry slot.

2018-2019 Snowfall Totals So Far : 59.5"

For More Winter Weather Forecasts for 2017-2018 :

https://www.facebook.com/snowdayweather/

Haven’t had a chance to look at maps or pull them up. What are the chances of the freezing rain. Significant?

Enough to cause a nuisance but we'll get the dry slot before it becomes historic or anything. Like below 0.1".

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Well this quickly turned into a low-end event. As this trends father north it’s keeping the warmer air father north as well. Looks like freezing rain is a decent bet here followed by a few inches of snow.

00z EPS not to crazy on the snowfall amounts...looks like a 3" mean for MSP...more the farther N/NE you go...

On the flip side, I sure hope the Euro is wrong with the placement of the frontal boundary bc its pumping out 2-4" rains down here...to top it off, it has some light snow on the tail end...#bipolarwx

• Like 1

00z EPS not to crazy on the snowfall amounts...looks like a 3" mean for MSP...more the farther N/NE you go...

On the flip side, I sure hope the Euro is wrong with the placement of the frontal boundary bc its pumping out 2-4" rains down here...to top it off, it has some light snow on the tail end...#bipolarwx

Would be some historic flooding if those rains verified. How much snow is left OTG there after the warmth the last few days? A coworker in Lisle said she had 18” earlier this week and it’s down to around 4-5”. That’s an impressive melt.

Melted quick.

Would be some historic flooding if those rains verified. How much snow is left OTG there after the warmth the last few days? A coworker in Lisle said she had 18” earlier this week and it’s down to around 4-5”. That’s an impressive melt.

http://www.weather.gov/images/mkx/hyd/SnowDpt_wi.png

• Like 1

1-2” at best over here. All crust now with the colder temps. If those rainfall totals pan out local rivers are gonna flood.

• Like 2

12z models bouncing all over the place. Trying to figure out the thermal profiles is going to take up until the start of the event most likely. GEM (7-9”) brings the heavier snow back down to MSP while the GFS is stepping down the snow totals (4-5”). Either way, some wintry weather coming back. I’ll take it.

• Like 1

12z models bouncing all over the place. Trying to figure out the thermal profiles is going to take up until the start of the event most likely. GEM (7-9”) brings the heavier snow back down to MSP while the GFS is stepping down the snow totals (4-5”). Either way, some wintry weather coming back. I’ll take it.

What a mess the 12z Suite was!

The 12z NAM had this thing halfway to Manitoba...obviously well outside its range.

Amazing lack on consensus inside 60 hrs.

You’re going to do well with this storm out there. A South Dakota to Duluth special. I feared this might go too far north from the start.

12z EC has about 0.8 LE...from Sunday through Tuesday...long duration event.

Since the ratios are always good here...that could be a lot of snow.

By Saturday, the models should sort of form a better consensus.

Five years ago, the Euro was a lock in that 48 -72 hour range; then they "upgraded it"...which really seems quite the opposite...and it has had its problems...still better than any of the others; but not quite as good as it once was...or so it seems to my subjective eye.

If it ain't broke; don't fix it!

You’re going to do well with this storm out there. A South Dakota to Duluth special. I feared this might go too far north from the start.

Duluth with just 11.3" of snow since January 1st (2.2" for February)

International Falls with just 10.5" of snow since January 1st (1.2" for February)

Right on cue the always dependable 18z NAM spreads snow quite a bit south of previous runs.

It would be kind of odd for Minneapolis to be "too far south" for an average February snowstorm; would it not?

They are at 45 N...or a latitude about 220 miles north of Chicago's.

You know your area better than I do...

It would be kind of odd for Minneapolis to be "too far south" for an average February snowstorm; would it not?

You know your area better than I do...

Very rare. In fact it’s almost a lock that Minneapolis is way too far north to get a good snowstorm in mid-February. We don’t get much snow here in Feb. We typically get rocked in March as the ‘zone’ swings back to the north.

Contrast the 18z ICON with the GFS which now shows +8” totals even south of the TC metro. So there’s that.

The GFS was once a terrible model; then they upgraded it and it got a whole lot worse.

Nevertheless, I would still trust it over that "ICON"...lolz.

Sooo aptly named.

The 0z NAM was too far N&W for Duluth.

By 6z it will be in Churchill, Manitoba...

Then at 12z it will have a blizzard in St Louis...

I remember that song; "Meet Me in St Louis"

Catchy tune...