1/17 - 1/19 CO Low Winter Storm

Tom

Backside seems to be growing:

Static map

OMA may get more from the consolation side:

Pressure systems, cold and warm fronts, and rain and snow areas, in the morning.

• Like 2

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 52.8" (89% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.1 Apr: 0.0

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = xx.x" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

11 minutes ago, bud2380 said:

4.5” report south west of Des Moines. So far the highest reported total in Iowa. 

I'm guessing highest will be from Winterset up 169 or 17 up to Webster County. Radar was lit up like a Christmas tree. Dallas, Boone, Story and Hamilton counties probably won out on this one, based on watching the radar.

Of course this all depends on accurate measurements.  See too many people that are not doing it properly,  i.e. on their driveway or deck etc...

• Like 2

.UPDATE...
Issued at 338 PM CST Wed Jan 18 2023

Key Messages:

- Heavy snow will fall this evening and overnight in northeast
   Nebraska. The heaviest snow will affect areas from Albion
   through Norfolk, Wayne, and Tekamah. Travel will be very
   hazardous in these areas.

- South of a David City to Fremont to Harlan line, much of the
   heaviest precipitation will fall as a mix of sleet, freezing
   rain, rain, and snow. For several areas including Omaha,
   Council Bluffs, and Lincoln, this will result in lighter snow
   amounts than previously forecast. Travel will be hazardous in
   these areas due to ice and snow.

Regarding the first point above, the forecast for northeast
Nebraska remains largely on track. Have reduced snow amounts
slightly from the previous forecast owing to a bit of infiltrating
dry air, but still anticipate a lot of snow to pile up with the
heaviest amounts from Albion through Norfolk, Wayne, and
Tekamah...and into west central Iowa north of HWY 30. Bottom line,
very difficult travel with 6-12 inches of snow likely and a few
areas potentially getting a bit more. It`s worth noting too that
parts of central NE are now approaching 18 inches.

Now for the area near and south of a David City to Fremont to
Harlan line: Sometimes mother nature throws a curveball. Today
the curveball is in the form of warmer-than-expected temperatures
aloft. While the heavy precipitation is indeed falling in the
locations where it was expected, the fact is that locations near
and south of a line from David City to Fremont to Harlan are
experiencing much of that precipitation as freezing rain, sleet,
and rain in addition to the snow that was originally anticipated.
The end result will be hazardous travel conditions due to a mix of
ice and snow in these areas, but the snow that folks see...well
it`s not going to be as deep as I expected even just this morning.
Somedays 1 degree makes a huge difference and today is one of
those days. Frustrating to us as meteorologists who take great
pride in our work, but we also know when it`s time to update the
forecast. As the evening goes on, keep in mind that this is still
a solid winter storm and travel will be quite hazardous due to the
sleet and freezing rain in addition to the snow.

39 minutes ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

Models keep verifying on the 2 foot totals they spit out

85203F20-823D-4FA6-913E-508CC848F104.jpegThat’s my report of 6.5” south of Columbus! I reported at 7 tonight. Waiting for the winds to switch around and see how much can actually blow around. The last couple inches was straight powder. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bud2380 said:

4.5” report south west of Des Moines. So far the highest reported total in Iowa. 

Just more salt in the wound as I gaze at our 1/2" to 1" of crappy slush... Honestly what a dumpster fire of a system for East Central Nebraska - it's like the system just skipped over us here snow-wise and laughed in our face in the process, brutal! 

• Like 1
  • Sick 2

eyeballed and drove through about 4" from Adel to KDSM. Roads are not fun. Was surprised to see 4" or so,, thought for sure shaft city when i went to bed.... Apparently had 2" hr rates around 8-9pm... 

• Like 4

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Just woke up. I know, I don’t have school again and should be sleeping in. It is hard to change my routine. Maybe a nap later. We got more snow overnight. I cleared a path last night before bed, and as I look out this morning, at least 2”or a little more fell and still light snow is falling. Another heavier band came through after 2 am and it must have been pretty intense from some comments I’ve seen from law enforcement. Just lots of snow. Will have to redo all the snow removal efforts from yesterday, but I love it. 

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, CentralNebWeather said:

As I check radar again and look outside now at 5:15 am, another pretty good band has formed west of me and is moving SE. Looks like another couple hours of snow. That will be the end of this historic storm after that. 

Gosh, your one of the only members in NE on here that has reeled in some of the biggest snow storms that have hit NE over the years.  Congrats!  I really feel bad for your neighbors to the east in OMA/LNK who must feel like mother nature just gut punched the snow enthusiasts who couldn't wait to see it snow heavily.  That's about as bad as it can get inside of a 12 hour forecast.  Just an incredible missed opportunity.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

Gosh, your one of the only members in NE on here that has reeled in some of the biggest snow storms that have hit NE over the years.  Congrats!  I really feel bad for your neighbors to the east in OMA/LNK who must feel like mother nature just gut punched the snow enthusiasts who couldn't wait to see it snow heavily.  That's about as bad as it can get inside of a 12 hour forecast.  Just an incredible missed opportunity.

If we throw out last winter, I’ve done well for several winters prior. Models in this area were fantastic. The ensembles were spot on, or in some cases, a bit too conservative. They really missed forecast amounts in Eastern Nebraska. NWS Hastings did mention some dry air that got pulled in further east. 

• Like 3

Just amazing snowfall totals for all of Arizona...what a Winter they have been experiencing.   Snowbowl is doing just fantastic with a whopping 61" over the past 4 days!  Oh, and there is more snow on the way today into tomorrow as they are expecting 3-8" of new snow.  Gosh, a part of me would love to be there right now to see how gorgeous it must look like.

image.png

• Like 1
  • scream 1

My internet was out from about 6pm til this morning. ☹️

My mix/snow total is 1.1".  The liquid total is 0.51", so it's not much better than white rain.  I'm glad we did not get a few inches of this crap.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

I was also saddened by Jim Flowers decision to call it quits. I did watch his video before he took his Facebook page down and I hope he didn't make this decision in the heat of the moment, though I suspect he may have been thinking about it for a while.

The truth is we live in an entitlement culture now and people get angry and lash out when things don't go their way, even something small as not getting an expected heavy snowfall. How ironic people like this are often referred to as "snowflakes".

• Like 5

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

Measured 1.6” just now. I didn’t get a measurement yesterday afternoon when it started out with heavy snow before switching over. I’d guesstimate after what melted and compacted we got ~2.5” total.

Absolutely horrible roads for the little snow we got as the slush has been compacted and is now freezing since it’s down to 25 degrees here

• Like 3
  • Snow 1

3 minutes ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

Measured 1.6” just now. I didn’t get a measurement yesterday afternoon when it started out with heavy snow before switching over. I’d guesstimate after what melted and compacted we got ~2.5” total.

Absolutely horrible roads for the little snow we got as the slush has been compacted and is now freezing since it’s down to 25 degrees here

At least it looks like winter there. I can imagine the roads being in bad shape with all that slop freezing up. You might be able to hang onto that winter look as we look to go into a colder pattern. 

You may not be out of Saturday into Sunday's snow, data is trending north on that...may still fall south of you.

• Like 1