East and Gulf Coast Weather 2018

Phil

Back in MD since 8/19..had a great trip. Soggy here, as is typical for this time of year. Some super close lightning strikes yesterday, along with another inch of rain. There is water just about everywhere.

Gonna enjoy the rest of this week, which should be relatively cool/dry. Another heat ridge looks to move over the area next week, bringing more 90-95+ degree temperatures and high dewpoints.

Cold front is through here as of early this morning with downsloping winds, but so far dewpoints are stubbornly holding in the low 70s with the saturated ground possibly acting as an antecedent moisture source.

Some showers have popped up as a result which are only reinforcing the low level moisture. Currently 77/72 here with light rain on a downsloping NW wind..lol.

Can’t wait for this muck to mix out.

Low of 56.8*F this morning. Coolest since early June.

Looks beautiful thru Saturday, then the Bermuda High reasserts itself in a big way. Some nasty late summer heat/humidity upcoming for next week, possibly lasting through the first 10-15 days of September.

Texas seems to be staying in the heat.  High 90's through Sunday.

Today 100*, but I think it's slowly backing away from that nonsense. 

We still need rain, despite the wonderful Low we had recently.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

The dewpoint hit 80*F here today. Combined with the wildfire smoke and lack of wind, it just feels brutal.

Currently 91/77, heat index 104. And it’s only gonna get worse tomorrow and Wednesday.

Humidity is a bit lower today, but temperatures are higher as a result. Feels essentially the same as yesterday.

Currently 93/76, heat index 106. Yuck.

Humidity is down a little more today, but temps are also a bit warmer (again). So still just a continuation of the same stuff.

Currently 96/74, heat index 107. Fook this.

Yesterday was okay (90 degrees w/ dewpoints ~ 70) thanks to northerly flow. Bay breeze moved in during the evening and immediately spiked dewpoints back to 75, though, and it’s been miserable ever since.

Had a few storms overnight in the bubbly swamp air, another downpour just now as humidity is soaring. Brought the temp down to 78, but it’s almost 100% humidity again and it feels nasty.

Sun came out after the downpour and swamped this place up to 81/79, until the boundary sagged south again and provided some much needed relief.

That frontal boundary is just south of me..DCA is on the south side and it’s 90/70 & sunny there with a 15mph bay/river breeze, while here on the north side it’s 84/76 with a light NE wind and towering cumulus shooting up.

Dulles got drenched today. Almost 0.5” of rain in 5mins, and 1.3” in 15mins. Then another 0.56” in 10mins.

Gross outside today. Currently 89/78, feels like 101.

This pattern simply will not budge. Will probably have to wait until late September.

Summer needs to go. Can’t wait for the first legit cold front and those cool, dry NW winds. :wub:

For now, though, summer continues to flex its jacked up muscles. Currently 91/79, heat index 107. Awful.

Explosive thunderstorm this afternoon. Blew up along the river breeze and easily topped 55,000ft.

Dropped temps from 93*F to 77*F in 5mins, along with gusty winds to 45-50mph from the SE (core was just to the SE so winds came from that direction). A few close CG bolts as well.

Now a muggy evening, 78/77 with clouds of skeeters.

Fall and Winter around the corner. What do you guys think ?

ENSO-neutral is favored through Northern Hemisphere summer 2018, with the chance for El Niño increasing to about 65% during fall, and to about 70% during winter 2018-19. – NOAA

IMG_3342.GIF

IMG_3344.GIF

IMG_3343.GIF

IMG_3345.GIF

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

Scattered thunderstorms all week. Some heavy downpours.

Haven't had a chance to check totals. Husband in ICU for 8 days.

It's been rough. God, I hate hospitals.

Scattered thunderstorms all week. Some heavy downpours.

Haven't had a chance to check totals. Husband in ICU for 8 days.

It's been rough. God, I hate hospitals.

So sorry to hear. What happened?

He had blood clots in Inferior Vena Cava. He still had blood flow. They're removed by a piece of equipment called an EKOS which emits subtle sound waves and the radiologist then removes them. He'll still be on blood thinners.

This was damned close. I don't think I've been this scared before. ( and I've been terrorized by some of the best in the hazardous waste biz).

He'll be fine. But we'll have to watch from now on.

I don't think I've been this tired in ages either.

Lord, I just want a normal life now.

He had blood clots in Inferior Vena Cava. He still had blood flow. They're removed by a piece of equipment called an EKOS which emits subtle sound waves and the radiologist then removes them. He'll still be on blood thinners.

This was damned close. I don't think I've been this scared before. ( and I've been terrorized by some of the best in the hazardous waste biz).

He'll be fine. But we'll have to watch from now on.

I don't think I've been this tired in ages either.

Lord, I just want a normal life now.

Andie, I hope all is well.

I think the CPC map is garbage.

Flash flooding. 3.48" rain recorded not far from me, more out there training over us.

( some fool was out there mowing in a dounpur...go figure)

Well, we're home. Recovery is dificult as he's very tired but is determined to try to go to work tomorrow as doctor said okay as long as he gets up and walks around every hour. I think he needs another 4 days but no one is listening. Men aren't very sensible.

I feel a thousand years old right now. But it'll get better.

Larry Cosgrove isnt completely sold yet on the complete dooms day forecast quite yet says dispite claims of the contrary the models have really not been consistent and tonight the globals have sifted east slightly again which tells him the just off the coast idea is very much on the table those he wraiting until tommore or monday to see what the newer data says.he interesting enough is very concerned those about a major threat in october as anlogs are suggesting a big east coast hurricane impack .it will be interesting to see if he right about october.I really hope he is right because right now things look really bad as it stands now with this thing.I get his reasons that its such a rare track to see a system make it to the east coast where Florence position is at currenly but this is a rare pattern to see with such a strong blocking high.so in this case climo has to be completely thrown out the window..

With ground moisture so high, the flooding could be quite dreadful.

I'm curious if the Gulf will see more?

Stay safe Phil !

Disturbances 1 south of the tip of Texas shows promise. Could bring Texas more rain in a few days.

IMG_3352.PNG

FLO IS CRAWLING ALONG -

Hurricane Florence has begun its long-awaited slow down, and was crawling at just 5 mph to the west-northwest towards Wilmington, NC as of 5 pm EDT Thursday. Heavy rains, a significant storm surge, and high winds from the Category 2 storm are already hitting the coast of North Carolina. Florence may be a Category 2 hurricane by the Saffir-Simpson wind scale, but it is a Category 5 heavy rain and inland flooding threat, and a Category 3 storm surge threat.

Radar data from the Morehead City, NC radar showed that Florence’s outer spiral bands began dumping heavy rains over the Outer Banks and much of Eastern North Carolina on Thursday morning. Rainfall amounts of 0.5 – 1.0 inch per hour were common, with a few heavy cells generating higher rainfall rates. Several Personal Weather Stations on the coast near Morehead City reported 5 - 10 inches of rain by 6 pm EDT Thursday, but have now gone silent. Cedar Island Ferry Terminal near the Outer Banks reported 6.36” of rain as of 6 pm EDT Thursday, and the Morehead City Airport reported 2.49” of rain.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/Florence-Slows-Crawl-Coast-North-Carolina

IMG_3355.JPG

IMG_3358.JPG

Florence - "Slooowly I turn!"

Florence didn't get the memo that she's a hurricane, not a stationary front. The rain totals on this one will be interesting, but meanwhile, as the storm begins to very slowly leave some areas, Emergency Management will have its hands full trying to convince homeowners to not return. Streets will be heavily littered, power lines down and generally dangerous and impassable.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/Florences-Grip-No-Relief-North-Carolina

Texas is seeing scattered showers and a few thunderstorms from the tropical low at the tip of Texas. Rain bands are moving up across the state with light to moderate rain. ( And I have to drive to Dallas tomorrow ) >_

Temps in the high 80's. Then a few days in the ghties, and it starts all over again. Early Fall.

Since Wednesday we have had this going inland over NC and then crawling into VA. Should this turn out correct, this is likely to be the worst natural disaster on record for Carolinas into VA Major hit combined with 3-4 feet of rain in some places over 3-4 day period.— Joe Bastardi (@BigJoeBastardi) September 9, 2018

• Like 1

Picked up 1.06" rain this afternoon from all this tropical moisture.

Came down in sheets for 20-25 mins.

High of 91* with a dewpoint of 76*.

Currently 73* after the heavy rain passed through.

We have a 50% chance of rain through tomorrow.

Real nice intro to Fall for Texas. Southern Hill Country is getting a good deal of tropical rain as well.

• Like 1

The rain missed me. Oh well. We've had plenty.

Tornado watch in effect until 10 pm the reaments of what use to be hurricane florance are moving north and northeast throught the reagion today for a round of rain and storms tornado warnings are in place for that band of storms in northern Virginia with tropical systems these tend to be weak sort lived tornados but still not something to really mess around with.so best to take any of these seriously as any tornado can cause damage to property and trees.

North Carolina has yet to face the worst. Also, a nuclear power plant is in crisis and they're trying to get to it. Add to that 100,000 dead pigs and their waste and you have the foundation for a disaster movie.

The cleanup and rebuild will be a very heavy lift.

North Carolina has yet to face the worst. Also, a nuclear power plant is in crisis and they're trying to get to it. Add to that 100,000 dead pigs and their waste and you have the foundation for a disaster movie.

The cleanup and rebuild will be a very heavy lift.

My shop here in OK actually just made a bunch of emergency parts for that place. A disaster for sure.