March 3th-7th Bowling Ball

Tom

00z 3k nam has 0.30-0.50" precip in the form of snow here.  I'm going to take the under on that.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

The 1st Blizzard of March is official!  Parts of SD and into extreme N NE are under Blizzard Warnings this morning.  SD is going to get walloped...wind gusts up to 60mph and up to 18" of snow is a winner in my book...

snow72.png

Meantime, the north side of MSP is locked for another beauty...

Tab2FileL.png?3e2981ce64e9bad7c024216b02

• Like 3

MPX ups totals to 7-9” with over a foot very possible. Increased qpf and a westward shift with the heavy band are reasons for the increased totals. Currently under a heavy rain shower.

How much snow do you have OTG?

How much snow do you have OTG?

We made it up to the mid 40s yesterday and that did some damage. I have 4-5” OTG. The official depth at the airport is 5”.

MPX also talking gusts to 40mph. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are power outages with the heavy concrete snow. This should be pretty wild, regardless of how much snow actually accumulates.

• Like 2

The 3k NAM seems to have a better handle on this than the regular NAM. In Iowa rain looks to change over to snow between 12-3pm tomorrow. That’s bad news for accumulation as this time of year especially you want that changeover happening at night. I think timing alone will limit accums in Iowa. If it were 3 hours slower then the Mississippi River corridor from DBQ on north would be in a better spot.

I would ride somewhere in between there.

Yeah those big totals rarely verify. I’d say somewhere between the two but we’re definitely in short term model timeframe. Those are gonna pick up on the convection elements better than the globals, and those are generally spitting out higher totals.

Yeah those big totals rarely verify. I’d say somewhere between the two but we’re definitely in short term model timeframe. Those are gonna pick up on the convection elements better than the globals, and those are generally spitting out higher totals.

Go small

4-7 is a good call for your area

• Like 1

Do u ever go big?

If this was dec or Jan it would be 10+

A lot going against big amounts

1. Marginal temps

2. Most of the snow looks to fall during the day which is never good for this time of the year.

3. Some of the snow on the ground will probably be melting with more daylight/marginal temps etc

Here’s the heaviest rates

.5-6 qpf for msp

http://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?m=gfs&p=qpf_003h&rh=2018030412&fh=33&r=us_mw&dpdt=

This is during the 18z-21z timeframe so in the middle of the aft

Here are the temps at 21z

http://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?m=gfs&p=sfct&rh=2018030412&fh=33&r=us_mw&dpdt=

31-33 range. Obv the heaviest rates might help it accumulate some but you’re gonna lose some of that QPF to warmer ground temps etc

Now it looks like temps cool some more as the night goes on

http://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?m=gfs&p=sfct&rh=2018030412&fh=39&r=us_mw&dpdt=

29-30 range but most of the heavier precip already moved east

So my call:

3-4 during the afternoon

2-3 for the rest of the storm

Total: 5-7

I will say it’s possible that the temps are too warm on the gfs. NAM/RGEM are in the 28-30 range during the heaviest rates. If there temp is more accurate than I could see higher totals playing out but I really don’t trust the NAM. It also looks like both RGEM and NAM are already too cold with its temps and gfs is dead on so far

I will say it’s possible that the temps are too warm on the gfs. NAM/RGEM are in the 28-30 range during the heaviest rates. If there temp is more accurate than I could see higher totals playing out but I really don’t trust the NAM. It also looks like both RGEM and NAM are already too cold with its temps and gfs is dead on so far

Ya I am banking on the gfs being slightly Warm up there which is a known bias. But could easily go either way