California Weather/ Climate

Guest happ

Relatively cooler air to the east but warmer west of the coastal mountains due to light offshore winds.  Inland coastal temps were as warm or warmer than the low desert today.

Squaw Valley: 53 / 28

Death Valley: 93 / 71

H: 86

L: 53

Despite my area here in Orange being under a Wind Advisory this morning and being a Santa Ana wind prone area, there was no wind to speak of here, but it was much warmer than it was yesterday. It was in the mid 80's this afternoon, while it was in the upper 60's yesterday.

It seems that NWS San Diego has issued a lot of Wind Advisories for my region (which is located near the foothills of the Santa Ana Mountains), in the last couple of years, only to discover the next morning that there was little to no wind here with breezy conditions at best. During the same period, when a High Wind Warning was issued, the winds were only strong enough to qualify for an advisory if even that. The Santa Ana winds overall have been weaker the last 3 years or so than they used to be around here for some reason and I believe it is tied in with the ultra dry regime we have been dealing with.

I just feel as if our weather patterns the last 3 years have really been watered down from what they used to be, and I hope that this changes this year with the potential El Nino in the making.

Despite my area here in Orange being under a Wind Advisory this morning and being a Santa Ana wind prone area, there was no wind to speak of here, but it was much warmer than it was yesterday. It was in the mid 80's this afternoon, while it was in the upper 60's yesterday.

It seems that NWS San Diego has issued a lot of Wind Advisories for my region (which is located near the foothills of the Santa Ana Mountains), in the last couple of years, only to discover the next morning that there was little to no wind here with breezy conditions at best. During the same period, when a High Wind Warning was issued, the winds were only strong enough to qualify for an advisory if even that. The Santa Ana winds overall have been weaker the last 3 years or so than they used to be around here for some reason and I believe it is tied in with the ultra dry regime we have been dealing with.

I just feel as if our weather patterns the last 3 years have really been watered down from what they used to be, and I hope that this changes this year with the potential El Nino in the making.

I believe if we had strong santa ana winds the fire situation would have been much worse.  Let's hope for weak offshore winds this autumn when it really counts.

Steep thermal gradient today: Santa Monica: 66°/ Woodland Hills: 88° [15 miles apart].  Looks like the usual April pattern of increasing coastal stratus, increasing maximums inland.  Nice temps for the Coacheila Music Festival

Squaw Valley: 49 / 38

Death Valley: 95 / 62

H: 81

L: 56

I believe if we had strong santa ana winds the fire situation would have been much worse.  Let's hope for weak offshore winds this autumn when it really counts.

Steep thermal gradient today: Santa Monica: 66°/ Woodland Hills: 88° [15 miles apart].  Looks like the usual April pattern of increasing coastal stratus, increasing maximums inland.  Nice temps for the Coacheila Music Festival

Squaw Valley: 49 / 38

Death Valley: 95 / 62

We are fortunate to have had weak Santa Ana winds this season, which have helped to keep the fire activity down. However, from a weather pattern perspective, it seems that seasons with weak Santa Ana events at least recently have been very dry, indicating that the jet is either weak or not very close to our region. We will have to really watch out next fall, though, as it could very well be a tinderbox early in the season before the rains come.

It was a very typical spring day here in Socal today, as opposed to some of the unseasonably warm weather that we have experienced off and on since fall. It would be nice to get a couple more shots of rain before the dry season sets in for good, and hopefully something might happen next week but that isn't certain quite yet. It is a matter of whether the storm comes far enough south with enough moisture or not.

Next week could get interesting if the models are correct in dropping a cold low over California with snow levels quite low for April.

Rain forecast, where looking at some of the second half of the main "seven day" on one of the main Sacramento TV stations. 

Here's to hoping it makes it further south.

---

-

Basic to the what I'm seeing right now "happ"relative to the forecast for some better potential for rain being looked at more over-all next week .. and to what you've said / pointed to just aboveis the idea that main and broader cold is moving and spreading more south still at this point. And that with this, with its otherwise being set to begin regressing more back north, or more northward daily, on the 19th, this general regression of colder air working to allow more moisture, better access north.

Best case scenario of course again, with some of that moisture more in the form of precip. being directed even as far south as where you are.

http://theweatherforums.com/index.php?/topic/201-early-spring-2014-colder-air-mass-movement-and-distribution-projections/?p=24322

---

Thunderstorms in North Sac. Valley.

Tonight or next Tuesday?

Lots of high clouds and some low clouds down here today but no rain.  Comfortable temps.

Squaw Valley: 50 / 37

Death Valley: 104 / 70

H: 72

L: 57

Tonight or next Tuesday?

Lots of high clouds and some low clouds down here today but no rain.  Comfortable temps.

Squaw Valley: 50 / 37

Death Valley: 104 / 70

H: 72

L: 57

Sorry for not replying... didn't visit Thewxforums after that post... but today there is a definite thunderstorm chance in the Sierras, mainly south of I-80.

There were storms north of us yesterday and long-term forecast suggest more rain before the month is over.

Sierra Thunderstorms;

On schedule, strong Thunderstorms have erupted over the Sierra today, producing localized heavy precip into the high country mostly above 8,000ft. Some activity has propagated westward into the mid elevations of the Sierra. Lightning data shows many strikes occurring from YNP southward to near Isabella and the Piutes. Both Hanford and Edwards Doppler radars are showing several strong echoes, with the strongest cell “O0” south of Lake Isabella producing 0.5 inch hail with a “Meso” signature. This cell is nearly stationary and could produce flash flooding if it remains intact for much longer. Another smaller cell, “N0” is near California City and is also stationary. Further north 2 cells have had very long lives; 1) Cell “M1” located in the San Joaquin River basin near the North Fork, is rotating cyclonically in a stationary position, occasionally with a hail spike showing 0.5 inch hail, 2) Cell “F1” located in the Kings River basin is moving westward near the main canyon and is approaching Pine Flat Lake. This cell has produced 0.32 inch at Cedar Grove before moving west. Doppler indicated precip shows most of the upper Sierra watershed receiving up to 0.3 inch with the wet spots showing up to 1 inch!

Weak troughs followed by weak ridges seems to be the pattern typical of late April.  What rain did occur today was under 0.20 and scattered over the North Coast/ North Sierra

Squaw Valley: 48 /  38

Death Valley: 100 /  76

Temps about the same as yesterday and seasonal

H: 76

I have a feeling we are done with the rainy season and are entering a more typical spring pattern. The models have backed off on the chances of rain in Socal for next weekend, as I figured they would because of the way this absolutely dismal season has been going.

The odds for rain are normally low during a regular year by April and by May it is essentially rainless most years.  Then we enter the monsoon season in July and we know how unreliable thunderstorms are for coastal areas.  Nevertheless, I am hoping that low forecast later this week will bring some rainfall to northern California.

Here's Steven Johnson's report [Fresno], the eternal optimist:

Wx Headline; A pleasant Holiday expected for CA on Sunday, with increasing clouds and precip spreading over NOR/CENCAL on Mon/MonPM. The system will be better known for its WINDS on Tuesday rather than the amt of precip left behind. Be Wed some SJV stations may struggle to reach 70° under fair clearing skies. Thu appears mostly fair with warming temps just as another trough and cold front move onshore late afternoon and spread rapidly southward overnight. Friday appears stormy for NOR/CENCAL according to forecast charts with possible brief heavy precip overnight Fri followed by clearing skies on next Saturday. With regards to the storm system late next week, the recent forecast charts have chopped the QPF’s in half as compared to the high precip totals forecast 2 days ago. This is very unfortunate because CENCAL desperately needs the rainfall to avert a disastrous Water Supply issue, but we are thankful for whatever we are gifted with. Week #2 is now appearing dry thru Monday, May 5th.

Another trough off the coast of northern California; couldn't find any measurable data yet but some showers are predicted down into central California.  Hope more systems are out there.

Squaw Valley: 46 / 38

Death Valley: 105 / 73

H: 83

NWS_LA

THE BAREST OF FRONTS IS WASHING OUT OVER MONTERREY COUNTY RIGHT NOW. 

AT WORST THIS SYSTEM WILL PRODUCE A SPRINKLE OR TWO OVER SLO COUNTY. 

Looks like the rain chances are next to nothing again, even for central California! :(

L: 59

Rain data is modest across California with essentially less than 0.10 from the Bay Area southward; greatest amount I could find is Copco [0.92] near the Oregon border.  The dry trough dropped temps by 10 or more degrees just about everywhere.  Clear skies behind the front, such as it was, could mean some cool temps tonight.   

Squaw Valley: 28 / 21 [interesting temps at 8000' today; hope there was some snowfall as well]

Death Valley: 95 / 75

H: 71

Looks like the rain chances are next to nothing again, even for central California! :(

It seems that nothing in the weather pattern is favoring us this year for some strange reason. Just to rub salt in the wound, temperatures may approach 90+ next week according to the latest forecasts.

This has been one of the worst and one of the most boring rainfall seasons that I have ever experienced along with 2001-02 and 2006-07. I am hoping for a big El Nino next year to turn this around.

A total of only 9 days of rain since Jan 1 but that data can be misleading since even good wet seasons can have very low actual numbers of rain days.  This rain season's storms have been so weak and depressing that even the local AMS chapter hasn't met since last summer and we cancelled the annual rain total contest. 

-
hey "happ". 

My view where looking forward from this point—such as it is—is, that with main cold currently moving more assertively east and being set to still, steadily more daily, through to the 29th, this while at the same time continuing to recede daily more northward where looked at more latitudinally, .. If not all that likely to produce much rain as far south as where you are, this general combination of colder air's main movement potential, should, at least, work against much of any type of ridging until after the 29th or even the 1st of May or so.

http://theweatherforums.com/index.php?/topic/201-early-spring-2014-colder-air-mass-movement-and-distribution-projections/?p=25469

---

A total of only 9 days of rain since Jan 1 but that data can be misleading since even good wet seasons can have very low actual numbers of rain days.  This rain season's storms have been so weak and depressing that even the local AMS chapter hasn't met since last summer and we cancelled the annual rain total contest. 

The only decent storm we had this entire winter was the one at the end of February that brought 2"+ of rainfall to many regions.

-

hey "happ". 

My view where looking forward from this point—such as it is—is, that with main cold currently moving more assertively east and being set to still, steadily more daily, through to the 29th, this while at the same time continuing to recede daily more northward where looked at more latitudinally, .. If not all that likely to produce much rain as far south as where you are, this general combination of colder air's main movement potential, should, at least, work against much of any type of ridging until after the 29th or even the 1st of May or so.

http://theweatherforums.com/index.php?/topic/201-early-spring-2014-colder-air-mass-movement-and-distribution-projections/?p=25469

Well, today produced some "cool" readings throughout the Southwest but a strong ridge looks likely next week.  Rainfall today was mostly over the extreme north part of California; mainly North Coast and was generally 0.50 or less.

Squaw Valley: 39 / 20

Death Valley: 90 / 65

H: 74

L: 53

The only decent storm we had this entire winter was the one at the end of February that brought 2"+ of rainfall to many regions.

From Feb 27 to March 2nd I measured 3.98 inches of rain; that was well over half the rain season total so far in 4 days.  It hasn't rained since April 2nd.

Rain year total [jul-jun]: 6.10  

Just when, i.e. what day, if I may ask. ? -And according to what or whom. ?

NWS_LA

LONG TERM...NEAR NORMAL TEMPERATURES AND PARTLY CLOUDY SKIES ON

SUNDAY GIVE WAY TO A STRONGER RIDGE BUILDING OVER THE REGION AND

OFFSHORE WINDS. BY MONDAY AFTERNOON TEMPERATURES ACROSS THE REGION

PUSH TO ABOVE NORMAL READINGS AND MOST VALLEYS LOCATIONS WILL HAVE

READINGS IN THE MID 90S. THE WARMER TEMPERATURES AND OFFSHORE

WINDS CONTINUE INTO AT LEAST TUESDAY.

Temperatures may even approach or exceed 90 even in some of the Orange County inland areas next week beginning Tuesday and lasting until at least Wednesday. It appears that there is going to be a combination of upper level ridging and weak offshore flow and that combination is the culprit for the high heat forecast next week. Whether or not the offshore flow will be strong enough to generate Santa Ana winds remains to be seen, as it is getting rather late in the season for Santa Anas, although they are still possible this time of year.

I am hoping that this hot weather pattern doesn't last long and that it does not recur frequently for the remainder of this spring.

I will say that the weather has been really nice for the last few days and has been great for getting some gardening done.

Another trough that could actually produce rain for much of the state starting tomorrow.  It rained today along the North Coast [Mendocino county north] w/ up to 2 inches in higher terrain.  Hope that moisture holds up enough to make it into SoCal

Squaw Valley: 39 / 32 [still winter at 8000']

Death Valley: 97 / 60

Cold storm may produce over a foot of snow in the northern Sierra and thunderstorms for the Central Valley.  Heavy snow showers at Blue Canyon east of Sacramento and rain across the San Francisco/ Monterey bay area @ 8am.  Bring it on!

L: 58

• Like 1

The best news is more snow cover

7PM

BLUE CANYON    LGT SNOW  32  30  92 CALM      29.71F VSB 3/4         
TRUCKEE        LGT SNOW  32  32 100 CALM      29.69S VSB 3/4         
TAHOE VLY ARPT HVY SNOW  33  29  85 S7        29.67S VSB 1/4 WCI  27 
MAMMOTH LAKES  LGT SNOW  32  32 100 CALM      29.70F                 

Squaw Valley: data missing [D**n

BLUE CANYON AP           5280 :     41 /  31 /  2.05 /  12
Death Valley:  91 / 70

North Coast had less rainfall and modest totals over the rest of California north of Pt Conception [0.25 - 0.75].  Lower ceiling and gusty south wind waiting on the moisture. 

H: 71

L: 58

It is actually raining here in Orange right now and was coming down fairly hard for a little while. It is nice to finally see (and hear) some rain here again, before the heat returns next week.

EDIT (10:35 p.m.) - Radar looks more impressive tonight over Socal than it has in quite a while. It is still raining lightly here in Orange, but a heavier band is approaching the area from the west.

Fast moving storm produced rain from Phoenix westward with generally 0.75 or less.  Glad to see as much as 0.50 as far south as San Diego area and over an inch of rain in mountains; snow levels dropped to 4000'.  Too bad the upper low moved through so fast but any rain this time of the year is very welcome.  Temps were very winter-like; next week looks to be the extreme opposite w/ lots of heat. 

Squaw Valley: data missing

Death Valley: 82 / 58  [0.11 even down to around -200' it rained]

H: 70

L: 48

R: 0.09  

April: 0.43

Total: 6.19