California Weather/ Climate

Guest happ

Flying into SFO tonight. Was planning on taking the Greyhound up to Truckee but it's looking like the driving tomorrow might be...not happening. 

Guess we'll be renting a car and driving up. First time renting a car... it's been about 6 years since I've driven on anything with more than 2 lanes. 

Here we gooo! 

"There are so many waves coming in all the time, you don't have to worry about that. Take your time—wave come. Let the other guys go; catch another one." -Duke Kahanamoku

Lots of strong wind overnight but rainfall was essentially a non event at my particular location.  Tomorrow night's front may hold together better w/ more impressive rain totals.

Friday: 62 / 51

L: 50

Only 0.06" fell here in Orange from this last storm. We need a good storm with more of a southerly or southwesterly flow in order to receive decent totals in these parts. All of these storms have been on somewhat of an inside slider track ever since the beginning of November.

Flying into SFO tonight. Was planning on taking the Greyhound up to Truckee but it's looking like the driving tomorrow might be...not happening. 

Guess we'll be renting a car and driving up. First time renting a car... it's been about 6 years since I've driven on anything with more than 2 lanes. 

Here we gooo! 

Hope you make it all the way without too many delays.  Here are current conditions:

SAN FRAN ARPT  LGT RAIN  53  48  83 W23G31    29.96R   

TRUCKEE        SNOW      34  30  86 S25G45    29.63  VSB 1/2 WCI  21 

Looks like almost all areas received some rainfall though modest amounts overall [considering it is December].  The strong NNW winds following the front dried things out fast.  Frost is possible everywhere that isn't windy for a few nights. 

Sunday: 66 / 50 / 0.16

L: 45° [even w/ steady 25-35 gust: 41mph

0.22" fell here in Orange with last night's storm. This has been the best storm for this general area as far as more widespread precip is concerned. Hopefully this paves the way for even larger storms as the month progresses. A few inches of snow fell in our local mountains, which along with cold temps, should be good news for the local ski resorts.

Hope you make it all the way without too many delays.  Here are current conditions:

SAN FRAN ARPT  LGT RAIN  53  48  83 W23G31    29.96R   

TRUCKEE        SNOW      34  30  86 S25G45    29.63  VSB 1/2 WCI  21 

We rented a car immediately and drove straight there, beating the heavy snow/super icy roads by a couple hours. Well worth the extra couple bucks!

"There are so many waves coming in all the time, you don't have to worry about that. Take your time—wave come. Let the other guys go; catch another one." -Duke Kahanamoku

It is a cold night here in Orange tonight with a current temperature of 40.6 on the north side of my house as of 10:30 p.m. This is the coldest of the season so far and barring any offshore winds later tonight, the temperature is likely to drop into the 30's.

EDIT: The low temperature in the morning reached 36.6 degrees, the coldest morning of the season.

It is a cold night here in Orange tonight with a current temperature of 40.6 on the north side of my house as of 10:30 p.m. This is the coldest of the season so far and barring any offshore winds later tonight, the temperature is likely to drop into the 30's.

At the same time it was 48° here w/ N winds gusting over 35mph.  Winds lowered and it was mostly calm before sunrise and 42°.  A quick look at minimums showed 24° at Corona / 30 at Chino.   

Monday 57 / 45

Despite the hype from NWS_LA [Rorke] minimums did not deliver again.  It has been cold but frost has been isolated to usual lower basins/ river valleys in San Bernardino/ Riverside counties; also some reported in parts of San Diego county. 

Tuesday 60 / 42

Lo: 42

This has been a disappointing period but at least northern California is getting rain/ snow.  In-fact, several stations are now reporting above average precipitation in the Bay Area and north.  The Christmas storm shows potential for good rains down here and maybe some moisture tomorrow evening. 

Thursday: 67 / 45

This has been a disappointing period but at least northern California is getting rain/ snow.  In-fact, several stations are now reporting above average precipitation in the Bay Area and north.  The Christmas storm shows potential for good rains down here and maybe some moisture tomorrow evening. 

Thursday: 67 / 45

This November / December period to date has been much drier than I would have expected it to be considering the strength of the El Nino. This time period is normally wetter for Socal than this during moderate or stronger El Ninos. At least Norcal has been getting some decent precipitation where it is desperately needed. I believe that the weather pattern may be a month behind schedule due to how long it took for the summer pattern to transition into fall. That didn't occur until about mid-October this year while it normally occurs at the end of September or early October. 

This pattern to me has been more reminiscent of a La Nina pattern and has also resembled the pattern of 2006-07, which was an absolutely horrendous winter for us. I desperately hope that this year is not a repeat of 2006-07 only with a stronger El Nino. It does seem that this El Nino is "too strong to fail", and hopefully a more traditional El Nino pattern emerges in January. 

.. We're getting at good drenching rain here where I am. First in a "while". ...

Started this mid-afternoon - Friday, and hasn't quit.

At 1am, the average showing where looking at a few different local "personal" weather-station uploading data to "Weather Underground", is about a 1/4 inch since midnight, with about 2 1/4 inches yesterday.

Climatology:  http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?capara+nca

We get quite a bit of rain here normally, with the two different stronger orographic challenges presented incoming systems, both south and westward facing.  @

• Like 1
---

A nice little 0.24" here from the fast-moving front.  That's more than I thought we'd get from such a narrow rain band.

About the same down here: 0.21

SoCal seems to be at the bottom of the troughs this winter.  Plenty of cold air but left thirsty after the passage of these weak fronts.  

Saturday 64 / 49

December rain: 0.39

Rain year [jul-jun]: 3.50

Only 0.14" fell here in Orange although I really thought that a quarter of an inch had fallen due to the length and intensity of the rain.

This pattern really reminds me more of a La Nina regime right now with all the heavy storminess in the Pacific NW and Norcal and the tail ends of fronts in Socal. The eastern Pacific high needs to either shrink or retrograde, and when that finally occurs, a much stormier pattern should emerge. From looking at the satellite loop, it won't take too much of a shift in the pattern for us to turn wetter. It is just that the flow pattern is too much out of the NW right now and we are getting rainshadowed as a result.

Some impressive 24-hour totals in the coastal mts of northern/ central California. 

...SONOMA COUNTY...
CAZADERO 6.6 WNW             5.63 IN                        
CAZADERO 6.9 WNW             5.40 IN                        

...SANTA CRUZ COUNTY...
BEN LOMOND MOUNTAIN (RAWS)   5.37 IN                        
SCOTT CREEK                  4.92 IN                        
BOULDER CREEK 3.0 NW         4.04 IN            

...MONTEREY COUNTY...
PICO BLANCO                  7.68 IN                        
WHITE ROCK                   6.89 IN                        
CHALK PEAK                   6.66 IN                        
ANDERSON PEAK                5.71 IN                        
PALO COLORADO                5.19 IN                        
BIG SUR RAWS                 4.51 IN              

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/getprod.php?wfo=lox&version=0&font=120&afos=XXXPNSMTR

-
.. A general averaging of the precip. accumulated at the locations of the two main "personal" Weather Stations near to where I am uploading data to "Weather Underground", round out to about 6 ins. for from last Friday the 18th, through yesterday, the 21st.

Otherwise, .. So what's the main source of the chart here below that you've posted Chris. ?

It will be interesting to watch Lake Shasta's levels change with the storms rolling through.

http://s30.postimg.org/56yz5ngqp/screenshot_34.png

• Like 1
---

-

.. A general averaging of the precip. accumulated at the locations of the two main "personal" Weather Stations near to where I am uploading data to "Weather Underground", round out to about 6 ins. for from last Friday the 18th, through yesterday, the 21st.

Otherwise, .. So what's the main source of the chart here below that you've posted Chris. ?

More snow coming your way, Richard

Sierra snowpack is above normal for the first time in years http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-snowpack-20151222-story.html

December: 0.70"

Tuesday: 60 / 52

L: 53

• Like 1

-
Right. And then where looking ahead a bit further, on the 26th main cold looked at move over-all starts to move south again setting up the potential for some main moisture's being steered more toward where you are and east of you again.

Main patterning certainly looking at least currently, to be shaping up pretty well for some good rain and snow. Both north and south.

http://www.ghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/globalir.html

• Like 1
---

0.45" fell here in Orange with yesterday's storm, making this storm the most significant storm since the beginning of November.

My storm total was 0.31.  Tonight's storm/ ULL looks weak but temps will be cold enough for snow in the mountains.

Wednesday: 67 / 52

L: 47

A quick look at data shows light if any rainfall overnight south of Pt Conception but lots of wind and cold temps.  Per El Nino conditions, December has been a very cool month if not rainy in SoCal.  Hopefully the moisture source will shift further south next month.  NWS_LA is forecasting possible "mountain wave" wind tonight.

Thursday 60 / 47

L: 45 [it is only 48 at 9:30am w/ strong N wind

Interesting that our mostly dry trough has become a significant snowstorm in New Mexico & Texas.  Strong winds overnight hit gust of 59mph in San Rafael Hills.  Low dew points [uSC 6°/ LAX 3°].  Cold temps tonight across California.

December has definitely broken the stretch of above normal months going back to 2014.  So glad that the heat is on the East Coast.

Xmas: 59 / 45

L: 44

Interesting that our mostly dry trough has become a significant snowstorm in New Mexico & Texas.  Strong winds overnight hit gust of 59mph in San Rafael Hills.  Low dew points [uSC 6°/ LAX 3°].  Cold temps tonight across California.

December has definitely broken the stretch of above normal months going back to 2014.  So glad that the heat is on the East Coast.

Xmas: 59 / 45

L: 44

It was actually snowing fairly heavily for a while during the 4th quarter of the Sun Bowl in El Paso.

We had the strongest Santa Ana winds of the season here in Orange from late this morning into the early afternoon. They have since decreased and is practically calm right now.

The coldest temps since early January w/ 30's widespread across the basin & coastline; probably the coldest readings for the year in many areas of California.  Models are trending toward storminess next week just like the California Weather Blog forecast.   It's winter!

Sunday 59 / 42

L: 40

• Like 1

The coldest temps since early January w/ 30's widespread across the basin & coastline; probably the coldest readings for the year in many areas of California.  Models are trending toward storminess next week just like the California Weather Blog forecast.   It's winter!

Sunday 59 / 42

L: 40

It was very cold here in Orange last night with a low of 38.4.

I can't remember a cold spell for so many days [12] long in the past; especially since it has been mostly sunny.  Women at work are happy that they can finally wear winter clothes!  Bring on the rain! 

62 / 42

I can't remember a cold spell for so many days [12] long in the past; especially since it has been mostly sunny.  Women at work are happy that they can finally wear winter clothes!  Bring on the rain! 

62 / 42

It is amazing how cool we have been considering that it has been 100% sunshine for the last couple of days. This means that we don't have a strong upper high over us at the moment or a strong offshore flow. 

Things are looking up next week as far rain is concerned. I'm ready for some big storms!

It is amazing how cool we have been considering that it has been 100% sunshine for the last couple of days. This means that we don't have a strong upper high over us at the moment or a strong offshore flow. 

Things are looking up next week as far rain is concerned. I'm ready for some big storms!

December can get really cold.  I remember the 1990 Freeze.  It's nice to end the year w/ below normal temps but sorry that rain has also been below normal.

L: 45

It has been a while since I have seen a forecast like this one for inland Orange County issued this afternoon:

.TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS 39 TO 45. AREAS OF WINDS NORTHEAST
15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 30 MPH.
.NEW YEARS DAY...MOSTLY SUNNY IN THE MORNING...BECOMING PARTLY
CLOUDY. HIGHS 63 TO 68. AREAS OF WINDS EAST 15 TO 20 MPH WITH
GUSTS TO 25 MPH IN THE MORNING BECOMING LIGHT.
.FRIDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS 39 TO 45. LIGHT WINDS.
.SATURDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS 64 TO 69. LIGHT WINDS.
.SATURDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS 40 TO 45. LIGHT WINDS.

.SUNDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS 63 TO 68.
.SUNDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF RAIN. LOWS 44 TO
.MONDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF RAIN. HIGHS 64 TO 69.
.MONDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A SLIGHT CHANCE OF RAIN. LOWS
44 TO 49.
.TUESDAY...RAIN LIKELY. HIGHS AROUND 62.
.TUESDAY NIGHT...RAIN LIKELY. LOWS 43 TO 48.
.WEDNESDAY...RAIN LIKELY. HIGHS 58 TO 63.
.WEDNESDAY NIGHT...CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF RAIN. LOWS 41 TO 46.

.THURSDAY...CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF RAIN. HIGHS 59 TO 64.

This certainly looks like a forecast for a good wet spell during an El Nino year.

Actually December hasn't been that much cooler than normal and not even close to previous cold spells.  It is unusual if maximums stay below 60° if it is sunny but I recorded only 5 days in the 50's for the entire year [4 days in December]. 

December 2015

Aver Max: 66.9 [Norm: 69 

Aver Min: 49.1 [Norm: 49

Average Mean: 58 

Max Hi/ Lo: 85 / 57

Min Hi/ Lo: 63 / 40

Rain: 0.70

Rain Year: [jul-jun]: 3.81

Days: 4