April 2018 Observations and Discussion

Tom

12z NAM has even more snow. Wow

Pound town!  LNK comes close to some decent snows as well...Easter bunny will have some fun with this out in the fields of NE.

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/nam/2018033112/036/qpf_acc.us_c.png

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/nam/2018033112/036/snku_acc.us_c.png

Its looking like a cold week next week w bouts of very cold air for this time of the year. Lows at some point getting as low as the teens.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

Who cares? It's still measurable snow. If you're a snow lover/stats buff like me April snow is gold. I know I'm pissed af that I'm missing this by 4 hours.

For only a few hours and then it melts. Whats the use for that. Trust me, I like snow, but only in Winter months. I will never understand how some people on here get excited over April Winterstorms. The snow will be gone the next day. Even if it stays cold and cloudy afterwards for days on end, the snow will be melting due to strong sun angle.

April 2024:

For only a few hours and then it melts. Whats the use for that. Trust me, I like snow, but only in Winter months. I will never understand how some people on here get excited over April Winterstorms. The snow will be gone the next day. Even if it stays cold and cloudy afterwards for days on end, the snow will be melting due to strong sun angle.

People get excited over April snow cuz not everybody is like you. Some people enjoy having Winter return, if only for a bit. Yes I'd prefer this pattern to be in December, but I can't control the months.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

The joy of snow for me is almost entirely watching it fall during the storm. The days that follow really do nothing for me.

The joy of snow for me is almost entirely watching it fall during the storm. The days that follow really do nothing for me.

This. For me it’s more about the tracking of the storm and watching the snow fall than the days afterwards. I enjoy snow sports so I do like snow OTG. But the real excitement is the actual storm.

• Like 1

April snows are useless. :rolleyes:

The snow for next week looks to stay well to the north of central lower Michigan but back in 1975 when I lived in Bay City that was not the case.  The storm started just after sunset on Wednesday April 2nd 1975. The second was a cold and windy day with the high for the day a just 33° with a NE wind.  As I said the snow started just after sunset and by 9 PM it was snow very hard and around 10PM there was a thunderstorm with a lot of thunder and lightning  and where I lived the winds were around 60 MPH or more during the thunderstorm. The power went out at my house and stay out for the next day. In the back yard I had 5 foot drifts. Here are some reports from the April 3rd Bay City Times.

"17 inches of snow stall area; rest of state also hit hard," the headline on the front page of The Bay City Times read on April 3, 1975. A photograph of a man riding a snowmobile through the city and snow covering South Washington are featured on the page. The 1975 storm temporarily closed Saginaw Township's Fashion Square Mall and police urged motorists to stay at home. The storm hit much of lower Michigan and led to traffic troubles throughout the region surrounding Bay City and Saginaw.  In Lansing, Michigan State University had a snow day and M-81 was closed in Tuscola County. The “official snow fall at MBS (about 18 miles SW of Bay City) was 14.4”. That snow stay on the ground for 9 days.

• Like 2

If the Euro is right, could MSP shatter all-time record lows for the month of April??? Sheesh, -10's sub zero lows on Sat morning as our friend from the north, Mr. Polar Vortex is likely to pay a visit. Just incredible to even see maps like these in early April.

Dislike! I’ll take the April snow but the cold can go away at any time. An ice fisherman on the lake confirmed the other day that there’s still about 14” of ice. At this pace and based on the forecast, the ice might be around in May. Unreal if that happens.
  • Like 2

The snow for next week looks to stay well to the north of central lower Michigan but back in 1975 when I lived in Bay City that was not the case.  The storm started just after sunset on Wednesday April 2nd 1975. The second was a cold and windy day with the high for the day a just 33° with a NE wind.  As I said the snow started just after sunset and by 9 PM it was snow very hard and around 10PM there was a thunderstorm with a lot of thunder and lightning  and where I lived the winds were around 60 MPH or more during the thunderstorm. The power went out at my house and stay out for the next day. In the back yard I had 5 foot drifts. Here are some reports from the April 3rd Bay City Times.

"17 inches of snow stall area; rest of state also hit hard," the headline on the front page of The Bay City Times read on April 3, 1975. A photograph of a man riding a snowmobile through the city and snow covering South Washington are featured on the page. The 1975 storm temporarily closed Saginaw Township's Fashion Square Mall and police urged motorists to stay at home. The storm hit much of lower Michigan and led to traffic troubles throughout the region surrounding Bay City and Saginaw.  In Lansing, Michigan State University had a snow day and M-81 was closed in Tuscola County. The “official snow fall at MBS (about 18 miles SW of Bay City) was 14.4”. That snow stay on the ground for 9 days.

Here is some info on the storm is Chicago

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2006-04-02/news/0604020405_1_wet-snow-frank-wachowski-wgn

• Like 2

Going out on a limb against all the talk in here and say that Marshall manages to escape any additional measurable snowfall. Already my grid for the upcoming week is full of RN/SN crud. We dip into the 20's some nights when it's clear, but not quite cold enuff aloft during the moisture periods to be legit snowfall. Same story as the past 40+ days really. True winter exited here on or about St. Valentine's Day. Ever since, we've been living in a nether world that I can only term Wx Purgatory. Winter for mby was approximately 2 mos from Dec 7th to Feb 14th. During that period, snowfall was substantial but the regular complete torch-offs and the manner in which they happened really pulls the grade down from what it could've been.

I'd be shocked if you don't get any more measurable snowfall. Whether it's anything significant is another matter. There's always the question of what individual storms will do but overall this pattern is about as wintry of a look as I've ever seen at this time of year (I am around Tom's age fwiw)

• Like 1

Mine has to be when clouds are increasing ahead of a major Winterstorm and also when the first flakes start to fall.

April 2024:

People get excited over April snow cuz not everybody is like you. Some people enjoy having Winter return, if only for a bit. Yes I'd prefer this pattern to be in December, but I can't control the months.

Ya mean, some people enjoy having Winter return Spring go on a hiatus during Spring season! ;)

Btw: snow might be expected in NYC next week as I will be there for Easter....UGH! No escape from this unsettled weather pattern here in the northern tier of the country.

April 2024:

Looks like rain is about to taper off. Much colder tonight as temps bottom out in the 20s. Some black ice could be possible.

April 2024:

Does not impress me. (not too sure about that)

April 2024:

Sunshine breaking out as the rain is departing away.

Not really sure whether to turn on my Sprinklers yet. I will wait till June the way this Spring is going.  :lol:

April 2024:

Winds are howling as skies begin to clear. Break out those darn blankets tanite. My temps are already dropping into the 30s.

April 2024:

Lincoln is gonna be right on the edge of this. It'll be a white Easter, but the weenie band will probably skirt just to the south of the city. Beatrice doesn't look like a bad spot. 

• Like 2

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

Happy Easter everyone!  I hope you all can enjoy this special day with family and friends over a delicious meal.  Meantime, today marks the 1st day that we begin to see records being broken.  How many locals will achieve these stats???  I'm truly amazed that this same pattern is cycling through and will deliver similar results, however, this time, it is far more reaching than back in Feb.

More

The record snowfall for Easter in #Indy is 0.3” set in 1972. The record snowfall for April 1 is 2” set in 1924. Both of those records will likely fall given current forecast.

• Like 1

Looking out in the extended, ensembles are onto yet another big system during the 8th-11th period, prob moreso between the 9th-10th.  00z EPS showing a cutter as well as the GEFS.  Last night's 00z Euro dumps 1-2 Feet across the same area who are about to get hit early this week.  Incredible pattern for April.