April 2018 Observations and Discussion

Tom

North American snowcover extent popping and setting up a stretch of new decadal highs this month...

multisensor_4km_na_snow_extent_by_year_g

If the CFSv2 weeklies are right, major cold shot should be "fitting" for the last week of the month...fits the LRC pattern, could there be a late spring Blizzard in the central CONUS somewhere???  I know its far fetched, but it might not be given the stretch of cold we are seeing, as there is a storm in this cycling pattern that would suggest a large scaled system during the last week of the month.

http://origin.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/people/mchen/CFSv2FCST/weekly/images/wk3.wk4_latest.NAsfcT.gif

One of the local mets is going with back to back 70's on Thu/Fri which is rather bold but on Friday we have a shot at reaching 70.  It's going to be tough, all gonna depend on how much sunshine we get out ahead of the powerful Spring storm cutting to our NW.  Gosh, can you imagine what that is going to feel like with DP's into the upper 50's???  #LuckyFriday

The 00z euro has dews in the low 60s here on Friday, with a morning low temp of 60!  That will feel amazing.  While models have been trying to figure out the low track and placement of the warm front, the qpf has been all over the place as well.  Now that the warmth is winning out, it has also really dried out, too.  Much of the rain should be north of the low and front.

Unfortunately, last evening I began experiencing the first symptoms of another dang cold.  I'll be po'd if I end up being miserable during the first warmth of the season.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

The 00z euro has dews in the low 60s here on Friday, with a morning low temp of 60!  That will feel amazing.  While models have been trying to figure out the low track and placement of the warm front, the qpf has been all over the place as well.  Now that the warmth is winning out, it has also really dried out, too.  Much of the rain should be north of the low and front.

Unfortunately, last evening I began experiencing the first symptoms of another dang cold.  I'll be po'd if I end up being miserable during the first warmth of the season.

Crush some garlic cloves and chug it down with some milk, but not on an empty stomach.  Works wonders, esp if done early on when symptoms are being experienced.  I heard there is another surge of the cold bug but not as bad as it was earlier this cold season.  Get better buddy!

• Like 2

Several long range climate models come out this week with their seasonal forecasts (NMME, JAMSTEC, JMA and I think the IRI).  Should be interesting to see if the trends for a wetter/cooler summer is in store for parts of the Plains that have been extremely dry and also if the warming of the central PAC (ENSO neutral conditions) and NE PAC continues to evolve over the summer months.

Here at my house I had a low of 13° overnight, The official low at GRR last night looks to be 16 While the record low for this date is +7 set in 1982 todays low of 16 is only the 4th time it has gotten this cold this late in April in Grand Rapids in the last 120 years the other times are that +7° on April 8th 1982, 14° on April 11th 1973, 15° on April 10th 1989 and 16° on April 8th 1972.  If my low of 13° would be official (it is not) then that would be tied for the 4th coldest night in Grand Rapids history. So this is just about as cold as it has ever gotten in April 8,

• Like 1

While in town we only dropped to 20, the CR airport hit 15, another record.

Tom, thanks for the garlic/milk tip.  I had never heard of that, but I went ahead and tried it.  I really hate colds.  I went several years without getting a single cold, but this would be two already this year, despite the fact I'm a big hand washer.

• Like 1

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

While in town we only dropped to 20, the CR airport hit 15, another record.

Tom, thanks for the garlic/milk tip. I had never heard of that, but I went ahead and tried it. I really hate colds. I went several years without getting a single cold, but this would be two already this year.

Anytime...it’s a bit nasty, but it works. Take it again before bedtime and you may wake up sweating. That’s a good thing, it means, the bug is out!

• Like 1

It’s a balmy 17F this morning.. Skies are clouding over now as the snow moves in later today. 1-2” expected. Another game potentially postponed due to snow? We’ll see.

Add another game to the list. Twins decided to postpone today’s game due to snow. Probable a wise decision. I’m guessing no one wanted to play after yesterday’s frozen fiasco.

The GFS and Canadian have gone much quicker with the late-week system, bringing it through here first thing Friday morning.  That would screw our warm Friday.  However, the UK is still much slower and the euro just came in 12 hours slower as well.

Here's what the euro has for Friday in Iowa.   B)

ecmwf_t2max_iowa_132.png

• Like 2

The GFS and Canadian have gone much quicker with the late-week system, bringing it through here first thing Friday morning.  That would screw our warm Friday.  However, the UK is still much slower and the euro just came in 12 hours slower as well.

Here's what the euro has for Friday in Iowa.   B)

attachicon.gifecmwf_t2max_iowa_132.png

That’s just a cruel, cruel joke.

• Like 1

8 degrees yesterday morning with snow on the ground. Right now 63 degrees. Just got done mowing the yard. Forecasts say 80 on Thursday. Very few places on earth can have these type of temperature changes than here on the Central Plains. Boy does it feel nice, opened the windows and have a great breeze airing out the house.

• Like 4

​DMX talking possible 70s Friday BUT THEN potentially "snowy Saturday and Saturday night" with the strong CAA and wraparound precip. Crazy!

Well, I'll gladly take a couple cold, crappy days over the weekend if we can get into the 60s and 70s Wed-Fri.

• Like 1

The 00z GFS is weird in a number of ways. First that it doesn't occlude the low, not that weird. Weirder is that the low kind of stalls/loops over central Iowa. Even weirder than that is the mostly backed surface winds at 12z that then veer at 18z, only to back again at 00z. Then the low rapidly fills and the whole shebang is over. 

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

The 00z GFS is weird in a number of ways. First that it doesn't occlude the low, not that weird. Weirder is that the low kind of stalls/loops over central Iowa. Even weirder than that is the mostly backed surface winds at 12z that then veer at 18z, only to back again at 00z. Then the low rapidly fills and the whole shebang is over.

If you wanna check out weird look at the 0z gem

GEM is also different

Takes a secondary low from AR area up to Chicago

That low suffers from convective feedback and is most likely bogus imo. At least it forms that way, then it develops into a full fledged cyclone.

gem_mslp_pcpn_us_24.png

• Like 1

If you wanna check out weird look at the 0z gem

yea, just looked, there's so many things fundamentally wrong with that run. That's not how that works GEM. I don't know much, but I know enough about convection and model behavior to call that BS out when I see it.

It's the Cub's Home Opener today and all the local news channels have Live shots at Wrigley Field.  Looks more like a December day at Solider Field with snow falling from the sky.  #ilivedthroughApril'18

• Like 1

I can't think of anymore words to describe the unprecedented cold we have seen this April.  This is just ridiculous!  #FrozenYoopers

DaSmAexWkAEluo-.jpg

The temps I posted yesterday morning at Land O'Lakes ended up being a record low:

-12° Land O'Lakes, WI -7° Antigo, WI -4° Rhinelander, WI -4° Hibbing, MN
  • Like 3

I find this rather interesting, YTD SPC severe/tornado watches are at a snails pace compared to recent years.  Severe wx this season is non-existent thus far and I don't expect much, if anything, for the remainder of this month for our sub.  Head into the deep south or OV.

DaVMQ-yV4AEHpbJ.jpg

I really think we get out of this abysmal pattern as we flip into the early part of May.  The LRC suggests a warming trend after the first few opening days of the month and recent runs of the CFSv2 are trying to hint at that.

cfs_t2m_anom_20E_northamerica_2018040900

It may strengthen as we get into the middle part of the month but I'm not jumping on it, esp if there is still a lot of blocking around.

cfs_t2m_anom_20E_northamerica_2018040900