April Weather in the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

We’re did you go?

We took a nice late afternoon trip to the Steigerwald Lake National Wildlife Refuge.

Down by scio, lacomb, sweet home.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Love it!

The Euro has definitely been going good places in the LR lately.

Your icy payback for 2013-17 is well overdue..perhaps this is the start of it. ☃️

Seems everyone else in the NH has experienced some sort of record breaking winter weather in recent years except you guys. That can’t continue forever. Even the Sahara Desert has seen multiple snowstorms (lol).

• Like 1

You do this all the time. Its been noted on here by many people. Its a dishonest debate style.

This is a total copout. I simply made points relating to what you said. I wasn't trying to "debate" anything.

You do like to frame things a certain way when it comes to stats...I could call it dishonest. You often cite SEA stats, but then at other times dismiss them saying you only care about your backyard.

Whatever. Not a big deal.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

One more shot at snow this weekend but otherwise this winter is pretty much wrapping up I think.

Meanwhile gonna enjoy the rain next several days. Time for Spring! 

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

This is a total copout. I simply made points relating to what you said. I wasn't trying to "debate" anything. You do like to frame things a certain way when it comes to stats...I could call it dishonest.

Not a big deal.

So my stance that I should just be thankful for Friday and Monday is incorrect and should really be based on the weather at PDX or in the rain shadow at SEA?   

My position was based on the cold, wet, and unusually snowy weather we have experienced out here in my area. 

I will take what I can get this spring.   I did not mention any stats with my original post... just that I am thankful for Friday and Monday despite the less than ideal timing.   That is all.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I can’t believe it, but I’m actually rooting for some spring warmth now. This never-ending winter stuff is becoming very redundant.

(OT) NYC Central Park observed 5.5” of snow on 4/2, and they might see another 4-8” on 4/7. Or, it slides south and nails us instead. Either way..lol. Then possibly a third storm arrives the following week. Lordy.

Doesn't NYC and places north of the Philadelphia line get winter till May usually then hot all at once?

• Like 1

Doesn't NYC and places north of the Philadelphia line get winter till May usually then hot all at once?

That is how it works in Minnesota some years.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Looks and feels like spring again this morning... 46 degrees and dry for now with rain moving in later.    This is the first morning this week when we have not had to look at any snow in the yard at all.    Looks like everything is about to really start leafing out as well.    There does not appear to be any frosty mornings or really low snow levels in the future so maybe things can get back on track here.   

Looks like record warm overnight lows on Friday for much of the West while the Midwest will have record lows Saturday morning. Portland, Astoria and Eugene all forecasted to set record warm lows. Quite the weather pattern had to occur for us to see something like this happen across the US.

Ryan Maue weather.us @RyanMaue

"While record lows are in forecast Saturday morning in midwest, a different record will be set across the Western US: record warm overnight lows due to the "Pineapple Express" or "atmospheric river" of Pacific moisture."

KiQJmJR.jpg

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/981883417527767041

Looks like record warm overnight lows Friday overnight into Saturday for much of the West while the Midwest will have record lows Saturday morning. Portland, Astoria and Eugene all forecasted to set record warm lows. Quite the weather pattern had to occur for us to see something like this happen.

Most places will probably see their lows late in the day on Saturday as a cooler airmass moves in. Unlikely any records get set.

He was talking about Friday for the record warm lows. PDX should actually stay about 50 from now until the cooler air moves in later on Saturday.

He said Saturday morning, and you said Friday overnight into Saturday. That would mean Saturday’s lows. Which will probably be set later in the day, before 1am.

He said Saturday morning, and you said Friday overnight into Saturday. That would mean Saturday’s lows. Which will probably be set later in the day, before 1am.

You know what I mean. To explain it simpler for you, Friday will have record warm lows for the West and Saturday will have record lows for the Midwest.

Getting my stud tires off today. Appears snow season is over

Yes... I am sure you really need studded tires on the city streets of Bothell over the last month.    There has probably been snow covered roads for most of that time since we live in a very snowy and cold climate.   :rolleyes:

He should probably keep the heated tires on just in case, though.

Cooled tires for this upcoming sizzler of a summer!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Sometimes it can happen that way. Our transition from winter —> summer does occur more quickly than the transition from summer —> winter, which takes forever.

On occasion, we’ll just skip spring altogether and flip right into summer. Nothing sucks more than transitioning from highs in the 40s/50s to highs in the 80s/90s over just a period of 3-4 weeks.

Big shake-up across the IO/EHEM starting over the weekend.

Subsidence will begin propagating eastward, away from the Indo-Pacific, which will mark the move away from this Niño-esque circulation, into towards something more typical of a waning La Niña.

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/ventrice/real_time/timeLon/u.anom.30.5S-5N.gif

So my stance that I should just be thankful for Friday and Monday is incorrect and should really be based on the weather at PDX or in the rain shadow at SEA?

My position was based on the cold, wet, and unusually snowy weather we have experienced out here in my area.

I will take what I can get this spring. I did not mention any stats with my original post... just that I am thankful for Friday and Monday despite the less than ideal timing. That is all.

You can feel however you want. But the stats show it's been a drier than normal last couple months for the vast majority of the area. That was my point... regardless of how many days you've had rain/snow showers (many of those days were far from complete washouts, if you really want to delve deep into it - that's part of the reason total precip is relevant, not just number of days with precip).

A forum for the end of the world.

If the MJO/intraseasonal periodicity holds at its current frequency, the coming “head fake” to El Niño should peak sometime between 7/1 and 9/1, likely between 7/15 and 8/15, before the fall back to some form of ENSO neutral during the autumn. This beneath all the short term ups/downs that come with the territory.

FWIW, this doesn’t necessarily mean the extratropical circulation will resemble that of a Niño. In fact, it would imply a destructive interference regime, which usually features poor communication between the tropics and extratropics. The ENSO ONI flipped briefly positive in both 2011 and 2012 (the latter of which reached +1.0C for a few weeks in parts of the ENSO domain).

With -QBO downwelling to the tropopause cap this summer below westerly shear aloft, you would ordinarily expect an equatorward contraction to +ENSO-favoring boundary conditions, but ironically the +PMM convection runs against that expressed conduit to +ENSO..add in the stage of the IPWP/solar cycle, and it’s probsbly a wash, with the real move towards El Niño occurring in 2019/20, in my opinion.

The WHEM polar front remains pretty far south through at least the next two weeks on most guidance.

Plenty of snow being dumped across the NH. Through April 21st, the northern WHEM storm track remains displaced south of 60N, with most of the Canadian Arctic (above 60N) remaining blocked off from heat/moisture transport. Interesting.

F2W8vCk.png

• Like 1

You can feel however you want. But the stats show it's been a drier than normal last couple months for the vast majority of the area. That was my point... regardless of how many days you've had rain/snow showers (many of those days were far from complete washouts, if you really want to delve deep into it - that's part of the reason total precip is relevant, not just number of days with precip).

Holy crap.   

Does it really bother you that much that is has not been very nice here since January?  I made a one sentence statement stating that I will take what I can get this spring.    Its been a few years since we have seen this many snow events after Valentines Day.   Including a significant snow in April.   

How in the hell does it matter what the weather was like anywhere else in regard to this statement?   I NOT making a regional comment here.   

This is the most persistently wet Jan-Mar out here in MY AREA this decade.   The weather SEA and PDX does not matter on this particular point.   This is entirely local.   It is what it is.    And I stand by statement.    And it was one sentence that somehow turns into pages of Jared bullshit!

SQ.png

Holy crap.

Does it really bother you that much that is has not been very nice here since January? I made a one sentence statement stating that I will take what I can get this spring. Its been a few years since we have seen this many snow events after Valentines Day. Including a significant snow in April.

How in the hell does it matter what the weather was like anywhere else in regard to this statement? I NOT making a regional comment here.

This is the most persistently wet Jan-Mar out here in MY AREA this decade. The weather SEA and PDX does not matter on this particular point. This is entirely local. It is what it is. And I stand by statement. And it was one sentence that somehow turns into pages of Jared bullshit.

SQ.png

Amazing how crappy it’s been there. Abbotsford_wx, who doesn’t post much here anymore, has been recording sunshine records for Abbotsford the past 6 years. This was the sunniest March he has recorded there.
  • Like 1

12z WRF-GFS showing strong wind gust over PDX Metro from about 10am to 3pm. It shows gust up to around 50 knots, which is close to 60 mph. The time of day couldn't come at a better time too because it's easier to get the strong wind gust to mix down to the surface during peak heating. Nice 5 to 6 hour window of strong winds. Right now I'm thinking widespread 55 mph to 65 mph wind gust for the Willamette Valley on Saturday. Wouldn't shock me to see a reading close to 70 mph.

wgsfc.53.0000.gif

wgsfc.54.0000.gif

wgsfc.55.0000.gif

wgsfc.56.0000.gif

wgsfc.57.0000.gifwgsfc.58.0000.gif

That looks like a roughly average February for your area, Tim. And a dry March. A modestly wet January which followed a modestly dry December.

In other words, a pretty run of the mill stretch in recent months. 

Fact remains... there have been more days with precip to this point in the year than any other year this decade.   And there have been multiple late season snow events which has not happened for several years.   And just melting off the snow seems like a victory right now. 

Sooooooooooooooo... I will take what I can get this spring.    Normal or not.    I will take what I can get this spring.    A nice day on Friday and again on Monday sounds nice despite the weekend being wet and unpleasant in between.     

And I expect it will stay cool and wet through June with a fading Nina.